Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nit_etc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
After researching the issue, it is obvious that many Powerbook owners have defective screens that seem to develop random "White Spots". Whats more, after having these repaired under warranty, this problem seems to reoccur for a majority of the people.

Apple's own discussion site is full of complaints from people that have this problem. In order to permanently fix this issue, it is vital for Apple to first admit the problem, and then take appropriate steps to remedy the situation.

I have created an online petition for people to sign. If your Powerbook LCD has random white spots, then please consider signing it. It is located at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/applelcd/petition.html

Hopefully, this will get Apple's attention, and will cause them to do something about it. Due to the number of people who are reporting this issue, Apple is obviously aware of this defect.

Thankyou.

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
What do you expect? That Apple gives you a free replacement LCD every time you lose a pixel? Your powerbook would have cost more like $10000 if that were the case. If you had researched the issue you would be aware that all LCDs from all manufacturers are succeptible to this problem and no amount of complaining on your part will do anything to change it.

nit_etc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Jamall,

The problem is NOT that of a stuck 'pixel. These 'white spots' are thumb print sized spots that appear at random all over the LCDs. These are not mere burnt pixels, they are large enough to be the size of a thumb print. Yes I do expect Apple to replace such defective LCDs. This defect is NOT common among LCD manufacturers.

nit_etc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Jamall,

I don't know what brand is being used but I will see if I can dig that info up, and will post here if I can.

By the way, a user on the Apple discussions forum posted these pictures of his or her white spots, perhaps this can help some folks better identify the problem:

http://homepage.mac.com/alwi/PhotoAlbum10.html

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.