Whites to Become Minority in US by 2050

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Frankly, I'm surprised it's that far off...

LINK to Reuters Article

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I prefer the term Caucasian thank you very much! ;)

-In TX, this is nothing new ... (so where's that great wall??)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats if current population trends continue. which is a bit unrealistic to expect them too. they could very well taper off or speed up depending on the political climate.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

5. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, wasn't sure what to use in the subject, but figured they say "white" in the article so I stayed consistent!

:rolleyes:

But now it's confirmed! Right there in writing on the internet!!

:D

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

See, here where I live it's something like 97% white, everybody's so damn inbred and racist, no-one even attempts to move here...

EDIT: 98.5%!!! that's pretty damn horrific...

7. pooky macrumors 6502

As a white person, I find the term Caucasian mildly annoying. My ancestors didn't originate from the Caucasus, so I'm no more Caucasian than I am Indian or Chinese. White is fine. Euromutt is fine. Hell, I'll even take Cracker over Caucasian.

Whenever I have to fill out one of those little affirmative select your race things, and my only white option is "Caucasian," I either write in the other box all 10 or so of the major groups of people that make up my ancestry, or I just check "African." I figure with the current amount of debate about human origins, my ancestors may well have originated from Africa in the more recent past than the Caucasus. Or maybe I'm just a jerk...

8. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

It's bizarre to me that this is even a story... who cares?:confused:

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Introducing the Closet Bigot Drinking Game: Every time somebody starts a sentence regarding this study with the words "I'm not a racist, but..." take a drink. If they follow with "some of my best friends are {non-white race}" take two, three if the "best friend" turns out to be someone who performs a relatively menial service for him or her (e.g., housekeeper, gardener, hairdresser, etc.). If they try to rationalize why the national identity of the United States depends on the majority of us being white, finish the bottle. If at any point the conversation reminds them of this great joke they heard, which they proceed to tell you, break the bottle and stab them repeatedly.

10. ambience macrumors member

What?

You are automatically a bigot if you discuss race? What is your point? :confused:

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Certainly not. How in the world did you come to such a conclusion? The point is, studies of this sort are very popular among closet bigots because it adds an air of academic authority that allows them to pretend to have a disinterested discussion when what they're really saying is "there goes the neighborhood."

Is everybody who talks about race in this category? Nope. Are people who do such things as I describe above? Absolutely.

12. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Who's saying "there goes the neighborhood?"

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Hopefully by 1950, no-one will actually mind.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nobody yet. Watch this space.:cool:

Back to the future, eh? ;)

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, that was kind of what I was getting at.

16. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Pfft that's nothing.

England is going to become a "black" country by about 2020 :p

17. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't know, maybe I'm just too optimistic, but it never even occurred to me that this thread could take such a turn when I posted it, and I'd be very surprised if it did...

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Someones been reading the daily mail... :rolleyes:

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why is that horrific? I'm not saying it is great, but seriously I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It's pretty darn multicultured near me, I don't think we need to worry about a lack of multiculturalism (in the south east at least).

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

So many mixed-race kids will exist by 2050 with the growing social acceptability, I wonder if this study counts a possible 15/16White+1/16Hispanic as Hispanic.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Screw the racial aspect to this story, doesn't anybody care that the study projects 144 million more people in the US by 2050??? :eek: I don't care if they're black, white, or green - that's too many people! It's crowded enough as is, thank you very much!!

22. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Is Surrey multicultural? I thought it was a bastion of Conservatism and the rich.

23. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The summer my wife and I spent in Godalming, the typical architecture was described to us as "stockbroker Tudor." Multiculturalism was only visible when buying a newspaper near the train station or at the local Indian restaurant. Of course, much could have changed--this was all back in 1990.

24. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ummmm... who thinks the human race will last that long?:p

25. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't think it goes into such specialized counts.

Well, population growth has been an even more discussed topic than racial balances.

We've known for a long, long time that the population has been skyrocketing. Not just in the US, but worldwide.

Still, I saw an interesting graph a year or two back that showed how long it took the US to break the 100 million, 200 million and 300 million mark, and it basically only took 40 years to grow from 200 million to 300 million, and the rate is only accelerating.