Who’d dare call Joan Rivers a racist?

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Who’d dare call Joan Rivers a racist?

Darcus Howe did (kind of) on BBC Radio4’s ‘Midweek’ program yesterday and she really flew into one.

You can hear the show here (it’s a .ram file from the BBC website) but I only heard the segment so I don’t know how far into the show it was, it’s during the interview with Howe and he says something like “…I know the word ‘black’ offends Joan…” BOOM! Joan explodes. :D

For those who don’t know Radio4 is the BBC’s ‘grown up’ station in the UK normally very well mannered and mature and ‘Midweek’ is arts, literature etc.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
"As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman which is without discretion."

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Wes said:
It kicks off about 23:58!
Here's an mp3 of just the argument

The guy sounds like a race-baiter. I'm no fan of Joan Rivers, but I'm less of a fan of people who need to feel victimized because of their race.

Good for her.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
hahah, that was hilarious.

I wouldn't want to get in an argument with her. She sounds scary.

How DARE you!

Don't you DARE called me a rascist!

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
I bet the listeners go up next time the show is on..!

I like her come back, totally ripping into him for being a useless parent, she sounded like she was holding back before..! Have to agree with bitfactory, good on her.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Peterkro said:
Its a good bit of radio.Joan Rivers lost the plot entirely and ranted and raved,mind you nice guy as Darcus Howe is he has trouble not winding people up.
I'd never heard of him before so maybe he is a nice guy but on the basis of that show he does sound like he's got an almighty chip on his shoulder and went looking for the fight.

I especially disliked the bit where Joan says "..I don't care whether you're black, white or..." and he butts in with "I do." nothing but inflammatory.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I think this illustrates the over sensitivity of the world today with regards to multiculturalism. It seems people are too quick to label people as being racist. I do think that guy implied Joan is a racist "...I don't know whether you're a racist or not..." , but on the other side of the coin it seems freedom to express ones views regarding different races tends to lead a person as being labeled racist even if they are not.

The world is becoming smaller and yet we are too afraid to think for ourselves.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
killuminati said:
hahah, that was hilarious.

I wouldn't want to get in an argument with her. She sounds scary.

How DARE you!

Don't you DARE called me a rascist!
If you think she SOUNDS scary, you should SEE her. I bet her makeup cracked with that one.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Haha, I heard a replay of that on the radio this morning while I was in the shower. She's actually nuts.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Peterkro said:
How does that statement imply she is a racist.
He said, "Since black offends Joan..." in the beginning of the argument. She took that, I think rightly, to be an implication that she was a racist.

I say good for Joan. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I think she reacted perfectly to that situation.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Peterkro said:
How does that statement imply she is a racist.
I think he was asked to state that he wasn't calling Joan a racist and wouldn't just said he didn't know whether she was or not. IMO the guy was an arse.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Heb1228 said:
He said, "Since black offends Joan..." in the beginning of the argument. She took that, I think rightly, to be an implication that she was a racist.

I say good for Joan. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I think she reacted perfectly to that situation.
i agree 100%. i'm not a big fan of hers either, but fair is fair.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Heb1228 said:

I disagree (in part). Throwing a big, fat, temper tantrum/hissy fit is rarely the perfect reaction to anything. People like that are imbalanced and scary.

Good of Joan to call him on it, tho.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
Wow...I just wandered off the the picture association thread and found this....

If she and Rivers went on celebrity death match (is that still around?), they wouldn't even have to make clay figures of them.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Abstract said:
Not a big fan? I genuinely hate her. Hate hate hate!
Why do you have a thing against aging, plastic surgery extremist comedians? Does that make you a Joanist? LOL :p

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Heb1228 said:

He was referring to the habit of calling people Afro-americans and not Black a euphemism the gets right up the nose of many black people.Darcus Howe is a respected journalist,editor,writer and academic he made a point which Rivers reacted to with a huge hissy fit he then truthfully said he didn't know if she was racist or not.The lady protests too much methinks.