Who are some chargers plastic and others metal?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by adcx64, Sep 14, 2015.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I think Apple Watch Sport chargers are plastic and Apple Watch Stainless Steel/Edition are metal.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Exactly. If you buy an extra one in the store it's metal, though.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

...dunno bout that, apple sent me a free charger, it was the 3m and it was plastic. not sure why I need a 2nd watch charger as the battery is pretty awesome (lasts me AT LEAST 16hours) but whatever free is free

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Of course the one you can purchase as extra will be the higher quality metal one. I assume the Sport watch one is plastic to keep cost down, even just by a little bit.

6. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

It IS definitely metal as I've bought one for my office to go with the one for home that came with it. I spotted this difference back then as I got a 42mm SS and my friend got a space grey sport and I saw his charger was different.

There was no option either. At the Apple store I asked if I could buy the plastic for cheaper and they said there's only the one option at the moment. Mind you this was back in mid-May so I don't know if they have a choice now.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All chargers that you actually purchase separately are metal.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

It's logical that they give you the cheaper plastic one in exchange for a defective one if you bought the cheaper Sports. Got a Sports myself, just saying.

9. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Title says "Who"...

As others have mentioned, white plastic is for Sport; SS is for the matching Watch. Editions (yellow gold w/blue leather band I tried) come with a black SS version as part of the box - infuriating that the SBSS versions don't at least have that color charger.

10. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

I got a white plastic one with my SS apple watch in the UK.

Edit. It's metal stainless steel on one side but the concave bit is white plastic

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm just guessing here, but if Apple sent him a replacement charger I'd assume they'd match whatever one was bundled with the watch in the box, even if not available to purchase separately for consumers.

12. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct. They won't send Sport owners a replacement metal charger when it originally came with the plastic one.

However, any Sport owners can easily get the metal version from purchasing it separately if they're unsatisfied with the plastic one.