Who are you and what have you done with my QuickTime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmfm, Feb 1, 2012.

1. jmfm macrumors newbie

Hi,

Something strange is happening to me. I am running 10.6.8. When I bought my current iMac it either came with QuickTime or it got installed from the installation DVD. It could not have been any other way because I am sure I didn't download it from anywhere.

With that version of QuickTime I was able to do screen recordings, audio recording and some simple editing of video files. For some reason that I don't understand, QuickTime stop functioning and I deleted it thinking I would be able to recover it from the installation DVD or via software update.

To my surprise, when I reinstalled it from the installation DVD I found out that that particular version (QuickTime 7.6.3) can't do screen recordings, audio recording or video editing. When I go to the menu, I see these functions are greyed out with a little label next to them that says 'PRO'.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what has happened? Unless the OSX version I installed came with the PRO version preinstalled, I can't figure out why the version that I obtain from my installation DVD does not have the capabilities that QuickTime had when I first started using my computer.

But if somehow the PRO version of QuickTime (or whatever version that has the capabilities I'm talking about) that was installed is not the one found in the optional installs folder in the OSX install DVD, can anybody tell me how I can recover it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

JM

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Quicktime X is the version that shipped with Snow Leopard, which as you said includes screen recording, audio recording, etc. Quicktime 7 was included as an optional install, which is why that is what was installed from the DVD. Generally, Quicktime X is installed along with the entire OS, meaning that an OS reinstall may be in order - I understand there is a program available that can extract specific apps from the OS installation discs, if anyone remembers what it is post away.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

UnRarx and unarchiver off the top of my head....Not sure if they are still around though, Google should help!

4. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I didn't know QT7 and QTX were mutually exclusive.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

They aren't, I have both installed and functioning.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe neither of those can extract anything from the install disks. Pacifist on the other hand can.

7. jmfm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt answers Ivan and MacMan.

Uff! I don't know if I want to go through a reinstall to recover QuickTime. The version I have in the install of the DVD is pretty old and there have been many updates. So I'll try the alternative you propose. I don't know where to start, though.

From MacMan's answer I infer that the QuickTime is part of some compressed archive that can be found in some folder from the install DVD. Am I correct?

JM

----------

OK, I posted my reply before seeing Robbieduncan's answer. Now I know where to look: inside the main installation .pkg file. Great. Thanks!

JM