Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I’m curious who maps out a product line for example, the iMac line.

Is this driven by the engineering team at the outset based on capabilities/ resources?

Does a senior product manager work out the different levels including specifications? He/she would run it by a VP for approval.

Or is all of this come from a top exec like the COO Jeff Williams?

Id love to see a documentary on how a product comes to life at Apple.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Is this driven by the engineering team at the outset based on capabilities/ resources?

Does a senior product manager work out the different levels including specifications? He/she would run it by a VP for approval.

Probably Apple’s design team. My guess is that Tim Cook and his inner circle (including people such as Phil Schiller, Eddy Cue and Jeff Williams) oversee day-to-day operations and corporate strategy. Richard Howarth and the Industrial Design team oversee the product and user experience. Jony Ive (while he was still at Apple) oversaw what he thinks needs to be overseen (i.e. how Apple products are used).

Engineering is at the bottom of the pecking order at Apple, as is expected for a design-led company.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

There's a hidden chapel under the Steve Jobs Theatre where they hold seances and ask the Lord God Jobs what to do.

(I don't believe this, but it's as good an explanation as any for their product choices.) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.