Who bought mobile me for other than find my iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maceleven, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Who bought Mobile me ?

1. Who bought mobile me for other than find my iPhone ?

51 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Who bought mobile me for just for find my iPhone ?

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. maceleven macrumors 6502

Who bought mobile me for other than find my iPhone ?

2. kepner macrumors 6502

I invested in MobileMe after losing (and finding) an iOS device. So, Find My iPhone was the major reason I subscribed, but I do use the other features now that I have it.

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've been with MM since it began and bought it mainly for contacts & mail and to host a website.... i've since moved that elsewhere but i still like the other bits

The other bits are bonuses .... i know i could use google but i don't like it that much and tend to pay only about 1/2 of what apple asks for MM sub's by buying online so i consider

4. The General macrumors 601

I've had it since .Mac and Find My iPhone is a welcome addition.

5. sers macrumors regular

Bought it mainly to keep contacts and calendar appointments in sync. Love the fact that i can enter appointments on my pc at work and it will sync with all my idevices. I also love the user interface - thats worth the price of admission. I can't stand ads.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Where do you buy it for 1/2?

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I bought for sync contacts and appointments (but does not sync to-do items from iCal :mad:). Also, I have galleries of photo's and temporary file storage. In routine use I think MobileMe is overpriced. However, when I have had emergency situations when I really needed its functionality (so far 3 times this year for work and personal reasons), it has been worth its weight in gold. I know other companies offer similar services but so far MobileMe has been much more stable and usable than BT/Yahoo's file storage service for instance. Please note I use mostly iPhone's and Mac's - I don't know what the situation would be if one owned PC's/mobiles that had to routinely access MobileMe via the web.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The whole syncage business with mail, contacts and calendar was the main reason I bought it. Also because of the online storage.

9. kepner macrumors 6502

eBay and Amazon. You can find .Mac/MobileMe retail boxes that come with one-year activation codes.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've had MobileMe since the .mac days and use it for email, shared calendars, contact sync, network storage, shared storage (on a family pack) picture galleries and homepage hosting.
    I've never (yet) had to use find my iPhone on it, but it's a welcome addition

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

That's pretty much my situation.
    I have yet to NEED to use the FInd My Phone feature, but I've used it several times to verify my phone's location when I've left it in my car, etc. A nice additional feature.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Haven't seen any for 1/2. I'll try looking more.

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I use it for everything and I even bought the family pack since everyone one of us has an iPhone

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

For this reason. Like just having one place to setup email, calender and contacts instead of having multiple apps/folders/files etc for all this stuff. Picked up my code for only $45 so it wasn't too bad. For $100 I don't think MobileMe is worth it.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Same here, I bought it to sync my contacts and calendars without having to connect my iphone to my computer. Means my calendars stay up to date much quicker (rather than once a week).

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) I've never found an online photo gallery that does exactly what MobileMe does. I love it.

2) I'm unaware of other ways to do over-the-air bookmark syncing with Safari.

3) And, of course, Find My iPhone is super useful.

Those are the 3 big ones. Pretty much everything else I could get for free using other services, but since I'm already paying for it I use the MM version. (Like, I use MM calendar and contact sync even though G-Mail could do it for free.)

(Except for iDisk. Dropbox is so superior that I use that instead of my iDisk.)

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I actually only use MobileMe for the syncing and mail capabilities. Not for the photos and all the other crap. I have a Macbook, an IP4, an iMac as my home PC and an iMac at work.

MobileMe keeps them all wonderfully in sync. I can be at home or work, pop something in the calendar and it just shows on the iPhone without even thinking about it. The "Back to my Mac" feature is also pretty nice, particularly when coupled with an Airport Extreme. I only use the "Find my Phone" feature after a night at the bar......

18. jgayman macrumors member

I initially bought MobileMe because silly me thought that it would allow me to save a document or email attachment from my iPhone onto my MobileMe space. Since I cannot find a way to do that, it's pretty much just a Find-my-iPhone app.

I don't need contacts and calendar syncing since I have the phone syncing to a corporate Exchange account. The ability to save email attachments to and from the MobileMe "cloud" sure would make it a killer app.

19. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Yes it would! That would be a GREAT additional feature, one that I would use all the time!
    It's frustrated me that there is no ability do do just that...:mad:

20. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Find my iPhone is actually a secondary feature to me.

The reason I bought MobileMe was the cloud syncing between OSX (iMac and MacBook) and iOS devices (iPhone and iPad).

I wouldn't mind switching to Google's services, but they have proven unreliable on iOS and OSX.

21. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Bought it last year for storage, website, etc. but won't be re-upping. Just not worth it with better options out there like Gmail and Dropbox.

22. Oman macrumors regular

I originally bought Mobile Me for the find my iPhone, however I have sinced used it as a storage site for files that I can e-mail to others and make available to others who need them. Also, I use to synch my contact on my iPhone with Outlook and then Outlook got corrupted and deleted allmy contacts and then updated Mobile me which also removed all my contacts.

I contacted Apple and they restored all my contacts for me and I stop synching with Outlook after that. Mobile Me also works to find my iPad. I just reupped in September.

23. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

idisk is great for when your working on a paper for school.
    start writing on your ipad, go home work a bit on the mac, read over it a few times with the iphone, finish back on the mac.
    it's super convient to be able to have documents and files on all my devices.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me. I love the fact that I can keep 2 computers and 1 iPhone in constant sync with each other.

25. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I've misplaced a phone before I bought an iPhone, so it is available for if I need to find the phone.

I've shared a few photos using me.com. Also, I've transferred a few large file susing me.com that were too large to mail.

Main everyday use is for email, and keeping contacts and personal calendar in sync between Windows, iPhone, iPad, Mac desktop, and now Mac laptop.