Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
if you bought refurb or open box what was your experience like?

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I bought a refurbished iPad mini from Apple. It was identical to the one that I had purchased new (and returned) months prior.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I did, same unboxing experiencing (less the product image at the front of the box). Would do it again for future purchases if the option is available.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that I got AppleCare+ along with it too. You're not be able to gonna spot the difference between a new and refurbished unit because there's no difference other than the box, model and serial number.

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Refurbished Air 2 from Apple. NO difference except for the box, as rui no onna said. I'm very pleased with the experience.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I just bought my first Refurbished, a first gen iPad Air, 2013 model I believe. It was packaged like new, looks completely new and doesn't seem like it was previously owned at all. I wouldn't have any hesitation to buy another Refirb.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If I had the choice of getting an Air 2 refurbished/remanufactured I would have in a heartbeat, you get the same warranty.

Reactions: rui no onna

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Bought the following refurb:
Mac Mini
AppleTV
iPad Mini

The mini would not charge well after a week, took it to store and received brand new retail.

I would buy a refurb again no doubt

Reactions: Beachguy

ahall52

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Do not hesitate to buy refurbished from Apple! I've bought an iMac, an Apple Cinema Display, three Thunderbolt Displays, a MacBook and very recently an iPad Mini 2. I've bought by fair share of new-in-box items as well and will tell you the following (as everyone here can probably echo) - there are TWO major differences between new and refurbished in the Apple hardware world:

1) The boxes are SLIGHTLY more plain for refurbs. Basic white, but the rest of the packaging is generally identical.

2) You don't get the instant gratification of buying it in-store.

Aside from that, it's almost silly NOT to buy refurbished. Remember, refurbished everything has gone through double-checks when compared to new products. While Apple warns you about minor cosmetic blemishes, I've NEVER had one in all of those items listed above. Every single item has been in pristine & new condition and worked 100% up to spec.

Apple Refurbished products are fantastic!

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
My 2011 27" iMac was refurb, and the money saved almost paid for a 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM. Still going strong now (with a further 16GB RAM added) and no plans to replace until it dies! Only difference to a new one when it arrived was a white box :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wife replaced iPad 2 with broken screen with a refurbished one, and a week later she couldn't remember that the old iPad was gone. It's absolutely identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.