Who can say the N-word?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Galacticos, Jul 4, 2017.

?

Who do you think, if anyone, can say the N-word?

1. Nobody should. Let the word fade from the lexicon

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Only African-Americans, if they see fit

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Everyone. If it's ok for some to use the word, it's in the public domain for everyone

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I'm for free speech. Nothing is off limits

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. I'm for free speech, but personally, I won't use the word

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Recent controversy and ensuing discussion in the media over the use of the n-word has me wondering..

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I won't use it, and I don't think anyone should. Since you brought up free speech in your poll I chose the last option since I don't think it should be banned.

Although if someone is black and uses it themselves to refer to other people I'm not going to feel sorry for them if someone uses it to refer to them.

4. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

don't be so cynical..

You say that like it's obvious what you think, and it's not.

I think the question of free speech vs cultural sensitivities (and in this case probably the greatest there is) is interesting

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I won't use it, and anybody who chooses to, does so at their own risk.

If someone feels the need ... have at it.

Just don't be surprised if there's a backlash.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

It's a controversial question that's better left unasked, just like all lives matter but not all deaths. These types of questions are conundrums, quandaries, enigmas. They provoke wrangling whose purpose may only be to point out our differences.

7. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I think the types of divides we see politically today are because certain important questions around foundational societal issues like free speech aren't discussed (and thought about) enough

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I will use the word in a metalinguistic sense, as in quoting someone.

I've occasionally used "ni*ga" to address my group of closest guy friends, who sometimes use it to address me. No, none of us are black. We're white, Filipino, and Mexican. The things I will say among this group in private I generally don't reveal.

Otherwise, I don't say it, that's all I can contribute. I'm not in a position to tell people how they should or shouldn't use this word and its variants.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I disagree. We have endless discussions about free speech.

You seem to expect an easy solution where one does not exist.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The only time it is okay to use those derogatory terms if it's a close friend who won't be offended. We (guys) insult our best guy friends all the time, but we don't mean anything by it.

Other than then, I have no use for racial slurs. I don't call blacks the n-word, don't call whites the saltine cookies word, don't call asians the g-word. There is no need. Only someone with an inferiority complex would need to put someone else down to make himself look big or make himself feel better.

As for free speech. Hate speech isn't protected by the 1st.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

An interesting observation is the the N word, along with "boy" is exaggerated in everyone's mind due to it's roots associated with slavery, and in comparison words like cracker and honky don't seem as bad at least to me as a white person. But there may be a psychological factor from the perspective of one group who may feel unpersecuted, unthreatened based on the color of their skin, or even superior based on historical events vs another group who feels insecure, persecuted for the same reasons or because a lot of them appear to receive unequal treatment from law enforcement. Imo there is a serious prejudice issue in the US and I'd say in parts of Europe too.

Therefore there should be no privileged racial insults. It should not be used period, especially by blacks as it is in their best interests for it not to be used. If using it against one another, how can you complain without being a hypocrite when it is against you regardless of where it is coming from?

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

While I personally wouldn't use that word I'm a staunch believer in free speech so I think that anyone can use it.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

...sure they are free to use it at their peril, however that is defined.

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Freedom of speech is non negotiable.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who said it was (negotiable)? Btw, I disagree with the including free speech in the poll. This is not a discussion about doing away with free speech.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Not to strong arm you, but a non Black person used that word (or any other words for that matter) in public in an offensive manner where it could likely provoke a violent reaction (fight) I would have arrested you. That's non-negotiable.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are thinking about how Bill Maher called himself a "house n-word," I thought that was one of the few ways a white person could use that word without being pejorative. But even that got a huge negative reaction. So I don't think it should never be used, but it needs to be used with extreme caution.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Isn’t it viewed as a hate crime to use it? I think there are certain words that should be consigned to history, like this word and the T. Word.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Serious. Give me a hint pls?

21. cwosigns macrumors 65816

If you're in group, you can use it in group. Otherwise, no.

22. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Reality TV President.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

- Everyone. If it's ok for some to use the word, it's in the public domain for everyone
    - I'm for free speech. Nothing is off limits

What's the difference between the above two choices? Aren't they saying the same thing?

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm not big on having different rules for people based on the colour of their skin.
    In olden days that used to be considered racist.