Who can say the N-word?

Who do you think, if anyone, can say the N-word?

• Nobody should. Let the word fade from the lexicon

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Only African-Americans, if they see fit

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Everyone. If it's ok for some to use the word, it's in the public domain for everyone

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I'm for free speech. Nothing is off limits

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I'm for free speech, but personally, I won't use the word

Votes: 29 39.2%

• Total voters

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Recent controversy and ensuing discussion in the media over the use of the n-word has me wondering..

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I won't use it, and I don't think anyone should. Since you brought up free speech in your poll I chose the last option since I don't think it should be banned.

Although if someone is black and uses it themselves to refer to other people I'm not going to feel sorry for them if someone uses it to refer to them.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Awesome... another bait thread. :cool:
don't be so cynical..

You say that like it's obvious what you think, and it's not.

I think the question of free speech vs cultural sensitivities (and in this case probably the greatest there is) is interesting

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
It's a controversial question that's better left unasked, just like all lives matter but not all deaths. These types of questions are conundrums, quandaries, enigmas. They provoke wrangling whose purpose may only be to point out our differences.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
It's a controversial question that's better left unasked, just like all lives matter but not all deaths. These types of questions are conundrums, quandaries, enigmas. They provoke wrangling whose purpose may only be to point out our differences.
I think the types of divides we see politically today are because certain important questions around foundational societal issues like free speech aren't discussed (and thought about) enough

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
I will use the word in a metalinguistic sense, as in quoting someone.

I've occasionally used "ni*ga" to address my group of closest guy friends, who sometimes use it to address me. No, none of us are black. We're white, Filipino, and Mexican. The things I will say among this group in private I generally don't reveal.

Otherwise, I don't say it, that's all I can contribute. I'm not in a position to tell people how they should or shouldn't use this word and its variants.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The only time it is okay to use those derogatory terms if it's a close friend who won't be offended. We (guys) insult our best guy friends all the time, but we don't mean anything by it.

Other than then, I have no use for racial slurs. I don't call blacks the n-word, don't call whites the saltine cookies word, don't call asians the g-word. There is no need. Only someone with an inferiority complex would need to put someone else down to make himself look big or make himself feel better.

As for free speech. Hate speech isn't protected by the 1st.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
An interesting observation is the the N word, along with "boy" is exaggerated in everyone's mind due to it's roots associated with slavery, and in comparison words like cracker and honky don't seem as bad at least to me as a white person. But there may be a psychological factor from the perspective of one group who may feel unpersecuted, unthreatened based on the color of their skin, or even superior based on historical events vs another group who feels insecure, persecuted for the same reasons or because a lot of them appear to receive unequal treatment from law enforcement. Imo there is a serious prejudice issue in the US and I'd say in parts of Europe too.

Therefore there should be no privileged racial insults. It should not be used period, especially by blacks as it is in their best interests for it not to be used. If using it against one another, how can you complain without being a hypocrite when it is against you regardless of where it is coming from?

alex2792

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
While I personally wouldn't use that word I'm a staunch believer in free speech so I think that anyone can use it.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Freedom of speech is non negotiable.
Not to strong arm you, but a non Black person used that word (or any other words for that matter) in public in an offensive manner where it could likely provoke a violent reaction (fight) I would have arrested you. That's non-negotiable.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you are thinking about how Bill Maher called himself a "house n-word," I thought that was one of the few ways a white person could use that word without being pejorative. But even that got a huge negative reaction. So I don't think it should never be used, but it needs to be used with extreme caution.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
- Everyone. If it's ok for some to use the word, it's in the public domain for everyone
- I'm for free speech. Nothing is off limits

What's the difference between the above two choices? Aren't they saying the same thing?

Reactions: pdqgp