Who coined "white privilege" and why?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 23, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Without using personal attacks against me or any writer or speaker, use civility (the high road) to destroy their claims.

(No, I don't always agree with him either... his free market example of bandaids also shows either how wrong he is or, worse, how racist the free market actually is - whoops!! And I shouldn't say "whoops" with any levity to be inferred because anyone who knows how to think knows how heinous that association and what it alluded to is. "Wanna sell more because more people have lighter color skin so let's sell lighter bandaids." Okay, so make them all bright green or find a less heinous example regarding an economy that - per Shapiro's own example - prefers to cater to one skin color, which is racist. Never mind his own statements could be perceived to imply genocide, if the market sees no value-- Shapiro didn't seem to realize the underlying irony of it all.)

So a better example might be:

At least on race, he's a bit wrong on some issues (who can agree with anyone on anything unless they've been indoctrinated into a cult?) but as with all talk show hosts he does come across with convincing gravitas and genuine spirit so it feels good but accomplishes remarkably little when all is said and done. Wish he did more to value all types of work instead of doing feel-good-resolve-nothing talk show fluff for a living, but there's value in that too.. isn't there?

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"White Privilege" is merely more of the childish BS dreamed up by the social injustice warriors and the safe-zone twits. The usual politics of envy from creatures who can't make it in the real world.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a liberal that thought they could use the divisiveness that the term "causes" when in reality poor whites and poor blacks have more in common than rich liberals and rich people in general.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He makes some goods points but he by far doesn't destroy the concept of white privilege at all. Talking about how he thought the brown incident and other things that had nothing to do with white privilege didn't help his case.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well we're all being played by clickbait artists. It's certainly true that poor whites and poor blacks have each, as groups, been the subjects of a lot of mainstream media articles.

Meanwhile the populism of 2016 is a signal to the owners of those media outfits and (to the pols they help feed and care for) that that tactic is getting pretty shopworn. Write about them, sell some papers, catch some eyeballs, move on to the next infotainment cycle.

Since a cheap smartphone is in reach of most people, it's not that hard to predict that sooner or later just wailing over the fate of impoverished groups is going to backfire. More and more younger members of those groups have been lifted up (initially against their will, often enough) thanks to the equivalent of (or the actual) blasted Common Core and Teach to the Test gig and because of community colleges and scholarships to 4-year schools.

Surprise #1. They can read. They get it that their votes are prized but their presence is not required at the inauguration parties.

Surprise #2: they can write, and type and text and tweet and blow up some hapless pol's 15 second newsbite into a net meme inside of two minutes.

Question for November 8th: Will they vote?

No one ready to celebrate a Clinton victory on the night of Nov 8th should be unaware that the populism of 2016 is about more than the dissatisfaction of a bunch of angry middle aged white men in the suburbs or hinterlands

Discernible dissatisfaction with goverance exists to some extent across all groups in the citizenry now (if you're not so busy dialing for dollars to get re-elected that you fail to notice).

I think there may be far more than one "silent majority" waiting for the 115th Congress to get sworn in and find out whom they are actually sworn to represent. I'm not waiting for them to call me this time. I got my laundry list ready, all I need is the congresscritter's name since my incumbent is retiring. I just hope that when I call I get put on hold because there are dozens of millenials in the phone queue ahead of me.

7. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Drive through Beverly Hills, you'll find out.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Poor whites are still white and if they gain wealth they will continue to be white. To be alive in this world and not recognize that there is a baseline advantage in having unpigmented skin is delusional.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Poor black won't be poor anymore. Those who only see skin color are the true delusionals.

10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Use all three phrases in the same sentence:

Captain America is a SJW with White Privilege, providing a safe zone for all of us.

11. BoxerGT2.5, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm just going to get it out of the way right now and call the second fella an Uncle Tom. (edit...and I wrote this before he called himself one).

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Poor blacks have far greater impediment to gaining wealth. This is not about "onlY' seeing skin color. Skin color plays a role in all people's perceptions, be they liberal or conservative. We are not in a "post-racial" era.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How can we ever get to a post racial era when we have race baiters like Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, Benjamin Crum, Eric Holder, and Barack Obama constantly saying everything is caused by race?

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That impediment isn't necessarily their skin color though it's likely that it's their school system. Poor folks and blue collar workers no matter their race still have more in common.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

As opposed to the people who say "I don't see race" but question Obama's birth, religion and "patriotism"? Unless you've been in a coma for the last 8 years the nearly every criticism leveled at Obama has been tinged in race.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

By a fringe minority.

17. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Right. It has nothing to do with the fact that people living in Beverly Hills work really hard and are living out the American Dream. And those same folks are the ones paying 50% of our taxes. Many of which are black.

Wow.

18. Larry-K macrumors 68000

You missed the context, to be expected.

19. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Perhaps I did. I apologize if that was the case.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Republican members of Congress are a fringe minority?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of half the Republican Party.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sweet let's see that glorious source.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    Ouch.

[​IMG]

Friend and Mentor.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Robert Byrd card is so lame.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Damning truth isn't usually interesting to the guilty.

Dog whistle.