Who do you think will stand the test of time?

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
...as a major musical artist from the last 15 years?

green day
radiohead
britney spears
en vogue
L7
nirvana
destiny's child
the dixie chicks
kelly clarkson
creed
slipknot
the darkness
coldplay

others?

there's no doubt that elvis and chuck berry from the 50s, the beatles and the rolling stones from the 60s, led zep and the commodores from the 70s, and rem, U2, and michael jackson (solo) from the 80s will go down in music history as legends

anyhoo, it will be interesting to see who from recent times will be remembered 20 or 30 years from now

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Personally, I think that Coldplay, Radiohead, and Modest Mouse will have the longest lasting impressions...

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
From your list, I am thinking Nirvana, Green Day, and Coldplay probably have the best chance.

There are very few artists right now that really seem to be making a difference. And those that are are not popular. I'm hoping someone that is really going to change things is around the corner.

jefhatfield said:

green day
radiohead
britney spears
en vogue
L7
nirvana
destiny's child
the dixie chicks
kelly clarkson
creed
slipknot
the darkness
coldplay

others?

there's no doubt that elvis and chuck berry from the 50s, the beatles and the rolling stones from the 60s, led zep and the commodores from the 70s, and rem, U2, and michael jackson (solo) from the 80s will go down in music history as legends

anyhoo, it will be interesting to see who from recent times will be remembered 20 or 30 years from now

Please, please, PLEASE refer to these folks as POP music history legends. Not to be a classist or anything....well, no, maybe I do. IMHO, legends of music history include all those folks who aren't just REMEMBERED 20 or 30 years from now - unless you want to count Tiny Tim, Sonny and Cher, The Archies, The Partridge Family, or that stupid "musical interview with the shark" as legendary (because if you've heard of them, they've been "remembered" for 20 or 30 years....).

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how a composer like John Williams will be viewed 20 years from now - and I put John Williams a heckuva lot higher than Britney on my list of people who have contributed to musical culture throughout the years. Textbooks still don't know what to do with Ives. Or John Cage. Or Stravinsky or Schoenberg or Partch or Adams or Varese or anyone else who really tried to change the game in the 20th century. We've had almost a hundred years to analyze "The Rite of Spring". I'm pretty sure we won't be studying the dixie chicks in 2105.

("Q:"= topics for discussion....)

Q: Adam Sandler movies make a ton of money. Is he a "legendary" actor?
Q: "American Idol" is one of the most popular shows on TV. Should Paula Abdul be trusted as THE arbiter to convey "legendary" status on a particular competitor?
Q: To compare apples to apples - does anyone else have trouble with The Beatles and Kelly Clarkson being referred to in the same sentence? How bout Elvis and Britney? (hey - you can like him or not, but the man had some chops. Britney?)

I'm just trying to distinguish between "phenomenon" and "musical phenomenon" or "legend of music". BIG difference.

I often tell my classes that 100 years from now, people will refer to our current epoch as the "what the heck were they thinking about" period in music history.

Q: Name a piece composed after 1970 that will be analyzed in theory textbooks in 2050. Not music appreciation texts. Not world culture texts. Not the study of female anatomy texts. Theory/form/analysis texts.

Now, keep in mind I'm just trying to stimulate some intelligent discussion here. I was worried about the use of the word "legend" in the first post, and wrote accordingly. To use some jazzers as a point of departure, I think that Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, and Victor Wooten are legends (picking randomly covering some different instruments....). They might not be "popular", but their music and recordings will most certainly be around in 50-100-200 years. Green day? Radiohead? Kelly Clarkson? I don't think so.

Fire away.
MFK

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I will only speak of who I think will stand the test of time in the pop arena.

I think Brittney will stand the test of time whether we like it or not. She appeals for the same reasons Madonna did/does - she is edgy and very sexual. I don't really like her music - some of her songs are good to get up and dance to, or to get you in a playful mood - but music doesn't have to be particularely deep or meaningful to stand the test of time.

But, in the same vein, I think Christina Aguilera will stand the test of time, too. She actually has some musical and vocal talent. I can't stand how she purposefully manipulates her voice into sounding throaty. She is much more candid than Brittney with her music. She has some songs that are very revealing. Although I disagree with many of the things she says and her presentation in general, I have a lot of respect for her because she doesn't apologize for what she does and she doesn't try to hide herself - that takes a lot of courage. I think people will remember that.

I think Mariah will too, and I think she has. She has been around since 1990, which was 15 years ago, so she has had a very strong career. But the reason I think Mariah will be remembered is for her voice and for good production. Her label hires the best producers for her records and she had some amazing producers while she was under Motola. Many people see her music as a joke, but it is far from that (most of it anyways :)). Great songs with great producers like 'Vision of Love', 'Vanishing', 'Circles', and 'Hero' will have her inside CD players for years to come - not to mention her voice.

There are more, but I'm not in the mood to post anymore :p.

scem0

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
jazzmfk said:
Please, please, PLEASE refer to these folks as POP music history legends.

*snip*

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how a composer like John Williams will be viewed 20 years from now - and I put John Williams a heckuva lot higher than Britney on my list of people who have contributed to musical culture throughout the years. Textbooks still don't know what to do with Ives. Or John Cage. Or Stravinsky or Schoenberg or Partch or Adams or Varese or anyone else who really tried to change the game in the 20th century. We've had almost a hundred years to analyze "The Rite of Spring". I'm pretty sure we won't be studying the dixie chicks in 2105.

*snip*

Q: Name a piece composed after 1970 that will be analyzed in theory textbooks in 2050. Not music appreciation texts. Not world culture texts. Not the study of female anatomy texts. Theory/form/analysis texts.

Now, keep in mind I'm just trying to stimulate some intelligent discussion here. I was worried about the use of the word "legend" in the first post, and wrote accordingly. To use some jazzers as a point of departure, I think that Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, and Victor Wooten are legends (picking randomly covering some different instruments....). They might not be "popular", but their music and recordings will most certainly be around in 50-100-200 years. Green day? Radiohead? Kelly Clarkson? I don't think so.

Fire away.
MFK

I think I love you.
Long live Stravinsky!

..and I don't see ANY of those artists making a strong, lasting impression in music. I consider only a few of them to be actual musicians.

"omg, britney spears dances and SINGS* at the same time! she's such a good musician!":rolleyes:

*this has not yet been proven... haha

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
jefhatfield said:

green day
radiohead
britney spears
en vogue
L7
nirvana
destiny's child
the dixie chicks
kelly clarkson
creed
slipknot
the darkness
coldplay

others?

i dont see anyone from the above list that will be remembered for too long but oasis will last a long time

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
FoxyKaye said:
None of the above: The Rolling Stones.
...but they're not new as of the last 15 years!!

As for bands in your list that I think will stand the test of time, I would agree that Coldplay could. They've got a different sound than most of the generic crap out there. I'd like to see them keep putting out music. I'd also say the same for Radiohead.

As for most of the other stuff in your list, I think they'll be gone and forgotten after a while.

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
CT
benjamindaines said:
i dont see anyone from the above list that will be remembered for too long but oasis will last a long time
I'll second that. I'm sure some from that list will last, I just don't know who as of right now.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Haven't Nirvana already stood the test of time and Radiohead.

As for Britney - I hope not. Not in the same class as Madge - even though I'm no fan.

Look up Sarah McLaughlin (Spelling) 'Tumbling towards ecstasy' album is a classic.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
Put in a vote for Coldplay. What about Kraftwerk? What they have done to music is quite remarkable, there more influencial than you know.

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
I do not particularly like Nirvana just because I do not really like their sound, but their music is great and unique and will stand the test of time.

Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) has done some amazing things over the past 15 years. He really is a musical genius. Whether you like the "genre" or not has nothing to do with the quality of his music (Closer and Hurt are spectacular).

On the rap side, I think that Tupac and The Notorious B.I.G. will always be remembered because they really brought rap to the masses.

Others: Green Day (have maintained steady following as mentioned above), Velvet Revolver (even though they are made up of aging 80's' rockers), Britney Spears (yuck), TLC, Marilyn Manson (just for the shock)

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
here's my favorites

i think nirvana for starting a whole new musical trend

dave matthews is high on my list

beyonce, if her band and her solo work continues for another decade, can be put into the diva hall of fame along with patti la belle, diana ross, and whitney houston

radiohead, while i am not too familiar with them, should make the list as well as phish, though i don't know if phish made their debut more than 15 years ago

metallica's black album period and after is very brave, being that the band took a different direction than their early stuff (which is legendary)...many a guitarist and drummer were influenced heavily by kirk and lars

christina aguilera, while trailing britney spears in sales and recognition, is a great singer approaching celine dion and mariah carey and may one day be mentioned in the same sentence as those great performers

i do not know classical music that well outside of opera, but there is no doubt i have heard a lot about yo yo ma in the last fifteen years

though i have not seen any great guitar heroes in recent years, i was completely blown away by an unlikely pop artist, john mayer...while he is popular for "hit" material, i don't think i have seen a rock guitarist that good since joe satriani and kirk hammet in their late 80s/early 90s heyday

much of nu-metal i have seen in the 90s was more allied with punk and grunge, but the darkness brought back traditional over the top (theatrical) metal to the charts and silenced critics bringing back a musical style most left for dead (since the onslaught of seattle grunge)

green day and the offspring have revitalized punk rock and though they didn't bring it into the mainstream like billy idol and the clash before them, they garnered a considerable audience of new punk rockers

pj harvey's minimalist music is likely to have influenced a lot of people

like him or not, garth brooks fused country with pop unlike anybody before him...though i prefer more traditional country and western, and bluegrass, garth has a showmanship similar to springsteen and kiss...btw, kiss is the reason garth took up music

eminem is no vanilla ice, instead, he is a respected artist in his genre and a producer who has a future long after his performing days

so far, i have mentioned some pretty safe artists which are critic friendly...but some fly by nights deserve honorable mention:

the spice girls are a powerpop concoction but somehow i think they will be remembered

american idol, the tv show, may not be about the art of music, but it will produce some long term artists who will excel far beyond the show's parameters

i don't like britney spears that much, but there is a possibility (though small, imho) that she will be called this generation's "madonna"...christinia aguilera deserves it more, beyonce deserves it more, but britney will be the one remembered as the pop princess of the new millenium

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Radiohead

full stop

Their artistic approach reminds me of the latter (and better) Beatles concepts.

outsidathat, what has always surprised me is the Nirvana thing has actually lasted. Their mainsteam existence was as brief as Hendrix but their output was as comprehensive as James Dean's films, yet I still hear much random affiliation to the trio: a guy I worked with was so polar with me on every single cultural form, apart from Nirvana, that makes me think that despite the title of my post, I reckon that Cobain's bunch will hit top spot.

The rest will all fade like adverts in a village post-office window.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I hope that Steely Dan will be remembered for a long time. The combination of world class session musicians and painstaking attention to detail in recording is something rare.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
jazzmfk said:
I stick my neck out here and say Michael Tippett - The Mask of Time, and also The Rose Lake.

jazzmfk said:
I often tell my classes that 100 years from now, people will refer to our current epoch as the "what the heck were they thinking about" period in music history.

I agree with most of your post, but I think that this statement is a little over the top. There has always been, and sadly enough, there will always be bubble gum music. It is there to entertain, and if all you would like to do is look at popular songs; there is no way they will compare to more serious work.

Answer to above question:
[/list]
  1. Frank Zappa. You can take your pick. Right now I'm listening to "200 Motels".
  2. Tom Waits work on "The Black Rider"

Now, keep in mind I'm just trying to stimulate some intelligent discussion here. I was worried about the use of the word "legend" in the first post, and wrote accordingly. To use some jazzers as a point of departure, I think that Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, and Victor Wooten are legends (picking randomly covering some different instruments....).
I'll add a couple of other names as well. Please don't forget Jaco Pastorious, and Herbie Hancock.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jefhatfield said:
eminem is no vanilla ice, instead, he is a respected artist in his genre and a producer who has a future long after his performing days

Yeah, that's a good point. I wonder how long hip hop will last though?