Who else "caved"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Sep 25, 2013.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I'll be the first to admit that I was disappointed at the keynote.

I was hoping for one of 3 things - and if they had provided even 1 of these changes I would have been sold

1. Much better battery life
    2. Bigger Screen
    3. Starting size at 32gb instead of 16gb

But yesterday I ended up picking up a 5S anyways. I could just be part of the bandwagon crazed apple fan but once I actually sat down and compared phones that are available and even with my willingness to try android for the 5th time I still think the overall iOS experience and fresh look combined with using Mac everyday, iMessage, and having an iPad as well just makes more sense.

And I can't deny that TouchID is very convenient. For what it is I hate entering that passcode and that alone was worth it.

Who else caved and why?

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I was on an iPhone 4, and I was set to continue using the phone for another year, even though I bought the iPhone 4 at launch so it was essentially three years old at that point.

But then the thought occurred to me that I could sell my iPhone 4 and it would more or less pay for the 5c, which it did. I sold it on Amazon and ended up with $229 profit in my pocket, which almost paid for the phone and activation fee completely.

I figured if I waited any longer I wouldn't have been able to pull off such a move.

3. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I was debating getting an HTC One - it's a slick looking phone, and the most comparable to the iPhone 5 experience imo. I'm really feeling the need to get a new phone this year - I'm working in the industry and it feels like I've had this phone forever, haha, even though it's only been a year.

So I reserved an iPhone 5s 32gb in gold through Rogers - there's a waitlist so I'm using the wait time to consider my decision. I still want to go ahead with it, though - I just really don't want to switch to Android and have Google even further into my life, and my phone works seamlessly with some other stuff I have, like my Apple TV and my Mac.

4. ATC macrumors 6502a

I'm about to cave. :cool:

I have someone who wants to buy my iP5 (which is flawless and has AC+ till end of next year) but I don't have an upgrade on my account so I'll be paying full price.

I've been waiting to hear more about TouchID which is the main selling feature for me as I have to have a passcode on my phone (corporate info on it) and I hate entering my passcode a thousand times a day. I've been reading mostly positive user feedback about TouchID so I'm most likely picking up the 5S in a week or two.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I have the iPhone 5. I wasn't impressed with the upgrades on the 5S. Other day I played with a 5S a friend had. The fingerprint scanner is nice. But, overall there is nothing I can't live without. The 5 is just as fast and the camera is fine. For me I'll be waiting for the iPhone 6. There just isn't enough upgrades for me to buy a new (basically the same) phone again, plus I'm still within my two year contract.

6. winterny macrumors 6502

I wouldn't describe it as "caved", but, I do agree.

Every time I try android, I'm amazed at how much I don't like it. iOS is (mostly) intuitive, and doesn't require me to figure out how to do what I want to do.

Android always has me confused -- and as an engineer, it stuns me that things could be so unintuitive.

I know lately everyone is rah-rah for bigger phones, and people were complaining that the 5s wasn't even bigger, but with my tiny hands, even the 5 feels huge.

Honestly I really like my 4S's form factor, but I don't really want to be on a 2-year old platform that is 1/4 the speed of current generation, with apps all geared towards the new-high end performing slowly.

I intentionally ordered mine late in the day on the 20th, so I am in the 'October' group. I hope that the various issues (gyro sensor) have been solved by then, and perhaps jailbreak is close by. Not excited to give that up.

In a sea of bad options, the iPhone is best -- but it should not be an object of obsession.

That said, I really do not understand why people are rushing to replace iPhone 5 with the 5S.

7. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

My only disappointment from the keynote was that they didn't call it the iPhone 6.

Wait, I just thought of a better one; iPhone 64.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have the 5. I told myself that I would wait until the 6 came out. The 5s didn't really impress me enough. Still, I logged into my AT&T account, saw I qualified for an early upgrade, and ultimately pulled the trigger on the 5s.

I figured I have owned every model of the iPhone since it was first released. I might as well keep up with tradition.

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I can understand you wanting those things (I want them too and suspect we will get them soon), but I don't understand how anyone can be disappointed by the official announcement. This had to have been the most heavily leaked iphone announcement ever.

We actually did get an incremental improvement in battery and I think a larger screen on this release was ruled out months ago. So IMO the only legit gripe is storage.

I guess I just feel the opposite. I think this is the best of the S updates so far, mainly because of touch ID. But I can understand someone feeling opposite if they don't care about touch ID.

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I have a 4S and as it stands now, I'll be waiting for the 6. That could change... but as of now, I'm keeping my 4S.

4S is my first iPhone and I want to get off the S cycle. Plus, I'm excited for a new design, and think that the 6 will look gorgeous. 5S is nice, looks nice, is fast, neat FP sensor, but nothing that I feel like I'm missing out on.

iPhone 6, I'm waiting......