Who else dislikes the new iPhone 5 back plate...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zuckuss00, Sep 21, 2012.

1. zuckuss00 macrumors member

Well, got my new black/slate iPhone 5 today just like everyone else. I had the chance to test drive it, and I must admit I really like it overall. The new build is nice, function and weight wise as well. The new iOS works well and the screen size is just right in my opinion.

HOWEVER, my only gripe with this new iPhone is the anodized aluminum back plate. I understand its function and I think think the black looks good. But, it's really prone to scratches and just doesn't seem like its going to last too long. But my biggest problem with the back is the way the aluminum transfers heat from the phone to the users palm, causing it to sweat and leaving the back looking and feeling dirty. Yes I wash my hands, but its still unavoidable.

Really, that is my only complaint. I know there is nothing really we can do besides invest in a case, but I'm just surprised Apple went this route with the back plate. I just feel the glass back was much nicer.

Opinions...

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I loved the glass and never thought I would want the design to change, but I think the aluminum is fantastic.

3. zuckuss00 thread starter macrumors member

Really?

After seeing all the finger prints and realizing how much harder it is the clean... I missed the glass back plate.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My first one was scratched (by the Apple Logo) so I went back immediately. Got in line (still long) but Apple employees were walking the line. I told one of the scratches & he walked me to the front. They were great about replacing it.

This one is better but still scratched. I'm thinking perhaps it's unavoidable since so many are this way. Lots of people unboxing theirs once out of the store had scratches.

I'm too sick of dealing with it so I will cave in & just cover it with a case.

I bet by next year they'll have more experience & ship scratch free phones. I'll be ready to dump this one by then, so it will all work out.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say how much I wanted to avoid using a case.

Oh well...

5. JoshObra macrumors regular

I'm satisfied with the overall design.

Compared to the black front plate of the iPhone 4 with the 5, it almost looks like the borders of the screen disappears (depending on angle and light).

As for the back and sides, it's different. Would definitely catch some attention.

The only gripe I have right now is that 1mm scratch on the bottom of my phone. It's unnoticeable unless closely inspected, but it's unacceptable right out of the box.

I wanted to switch to white, but they exhibit almost the same problems as the black one but less noticeable.

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm completely digging the new iPhone. The only thing Apple screwed up on this phone was the name. It should be called:

THE IPHONE

7. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

I love the new design

Just wish there was one where the side and back was silver with the black front screen to match the way a macbook pro is done. Stealth Black looks awesome but a little too dark.

8. Cripps macrumors regular

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, really. I haven't noticed much in the way of fingerprints, but I've been handling it like a baby today. ;)

10. TahoeDust, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

TahoeDust macrumors 6502

I miss my glass back. :( Don't get me wrong, I really love my iPhone 5, but after handling it all day I picked up my iPhone 4 to reset it to factory default and realized what a tank it was. Heavy, perfectly built, and felt more like a fine watch than a phone.

I preferred the design and construction of my ip4.

11. NinaJ macrumors newbie

I agree. It's also very disheartening that so many phones are having issues (on the forums that is). I keep going back and forth looking at my ip4s and ip 5. I love the slate and thinness of the iphone 5, but the 4s feels solid.

I decided after using it all day that it's not worth it. I'm sending the 5 back to apple and sticking with my 4S for awhile.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It's your decision, but since you have 30 days to return, you might want to postpone the decision for a few days and really live with the phone for a bit.

13. NinaJ macrumors newbie

I keep going back and forth. I was holding it this morning reading some texts, and I really do love the new design. I hated it when I first saw it, but it just looks so sleek to me now.

I would keep it if it wasn't for some other issues with the phone (scuffs, won't connect to wi-fi, etc.). I just decided I'll wait and let the kinks get worked out. I paid extra to upgrade early and don't want to regret spending that money on something that's not working correctly.

14. dnest macrumors regular

dnest

I love it. It makes the phone look almost, agressive, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I love the looks and feel of the new iPhone 5 -- sleek, elegant, well-balanced, conveys a sense of quality. I loved the glass back on the iPhone 4 and wasn't sure if I'd like the new aluminum/slate back or not, but as soon as I saw it I knew -- I do. It's unique, it's low-key, it's another great Apple design. I haven't had any problems (yet) with scratches but one of my friends said that his had a scratch right out of the box. He'll slap a case on it and that's that. Me, I am going to be using mine naked around home and I did find an old Vaja case that will work if I want to give the back added protection when going out.

16. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

The only thing I don't like is I carry my phone naked and when I had my 4S I always had the screen facing my leg in my pocket so if I accidentally hit it on something it wouldn't damage the screen and it would hit the back glass. Now the problem with the aluminum back is if I acciDENTally hit it on something it could dent where the glass wouldn't have.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

I like the design. I have the white one. Since normal wear and tear is more difficult to see on brighter colors, I think the white is the wiser choice for those who don't want a case, though from some early surveys it seems the black is more popular.

Whether they went with glass, plastic, or aluminum, there would be tradeoffs. People complained that the glass back on the 4 and 4S broke too easily and was heavy. Plastic is the most durable and lightest, but people also complain that the Galaxy S3 and other phones that use plastic feel cheap. Aluminum is light and doesn't crack, but it can crease, dent, or nick. I think the design of the 5 is a nice balance.