Who else finds the heat on the 2011 MBP 13 annoying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kettlecorn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Actually the heat itself is unbearable for me. Maybe i got a lemon. I did a search but its really tough to weed out the MBP 13s with the core i5.

I love this damn computer and it hasn't given me any problems. I upgraded from the 2010 and had it for about a month now. After a month, i'm noticing the differences between the 2010 and 2011 models. My MBP 13 2011, gets SO frickin hot. CPU temp ranges around 90 C when it gets hot but the heat around the Function keys and the air vent is ridiculous. The jet fan starts to spool at anything on youtube that is 720p and up. Any video on megavideo, hulu, NBC.com, pretty much anything that requires the use of the graphics card the fan spins up like a damn turbo. Definitely didn't have that with the 2010 and i'm wondering if others with the 2011 MBP13 have this issue or is it just me? I wouldn't complain if it was caused by high workload but I cant even watch a few youtube videos on the couch before my lap is on fire.

2. nc016163 macrumors newbie

Mines fine dude, sorry to tell you!

I get it doing about 8 things at once and dont have any issue with heat, or the fan for that matter.

Sucks for you!

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm not annoyed with mine in the least. I never use any notebook on my lap though. I'd prefer to use an iPad or nothing.

4. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a problem with your MBP. Take it to a Apple Store and demonstrate it to the Genius people. :)

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Fan noise aside, how does the actual temperature compare with your 2010? I was sensitive to the temperatures only because people on this forum brought it up but honestly this thing ran as hot as my 2008 MBP. After the thermal paste hack (which I am still not convinced I needed to do), it actually runs cooler than my old MBP.

6. jondob macrumors member

Sounds like you got a lemon.

My cpu temp is at 38 degrees right now on youtube, msn, and firefox..

Fan only kicks in when the laptop is on my bed and I'm watching 1080p content

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

No heat issues here. I use mine on my lap too.

8. TomCondon macrumors regular

Mine is genrally around 40o Celsius, max I've seen is around 84oC

9. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

My computer is generally fine although I do notice that when I'm watching something on Hulu the fan really kicks in and the computer gets quite warm. Didn't think to check and see what the temp was but these are the only times I really notice the fan and heat (other than playing games)

10. iTouch1987 macrumors member

i use mine on a lapdesk.

i was watching a netflix show at whatever resolution, and mine hit 79C.

normal?

11. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I assume you have a SATA drive? If you do, it sounds like it might be working a little OT. Did you install a 7200 or do you have the stock 5400? I'd have your hard drive checked out.

12. rossmadden macrumors member

Mine is normally around 39-43C. and at the most it's 82. only then does it get uncomfortable on my lap. (i just use smc fancontrol and wack the fans right up to cool it)
    I'd say you've got a dud. Take it in and swap it.

13. kettlecorn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah everything in this laptop is stock including the harddrive.

The hottest part is usually right underneath the ESC key all the way down to caps lock and number 4. Right around that area, Ill pick it up and put my palm there and it'll burn. I'll take it in and see what they say.

14. matt15f macrumors member

Mine only heats up when the GPU is engaged. In normal usage it is plenty cool. But when the GPU is engaged it heats up like hell.

15. lemot macrumors newbie

I notice mine heats up when it's charging and graphic is active.
    But in this case I'm normally working on a desk, so it's not so annoying.
    Normal web browsing, youtube, etc. is pretty cool.
    And yes, the left side is much hotter than the right.
    Crossing my finger that this could be solved by software and Apple is looking at it.
    But otherwise life goes on.
    Please keep us updated on what Apple said about it.

16. dapickle macrumors newbie

Mine's been fine as well. The fan does kick up when I'm watching a movie or playing a game, but I've been able to watch YouTube, NBC and other channel sites on my lap with no problems.

I'd take it in to the :apple: store and have them check it out.

17. josh2007 macrumors member

38? Most of us idle at 38.

18. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Here is my 2011 MPB core i5 after running photoshop, indesign, itunes, safari and outlook. This does show where the heat is generated and vented.

It never went higher than 80 degrees and I didn't notice the heat at all.

[​IMG]

19. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

20. brettsinger macrumors member

I thought there was something wrong with my MB Pro because it ran so hot (older model, but could still apply in your situation). I did have it checked out at the Genius Bar; they found nothing wrong. Turns out it was just my apartment. When I'm home, I need to use an external fan and smcFanControl to keep it reasonably cool. Almost anywhere else it runs significantly cooler.

21. amarcus macrumors 6502

Love the thermal pic, I could totally do with one of those cameras!