Other Who else has disabled 3D Touch on their iPhones in preparation for its removal from future iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, May 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about 3D Touch?

1. I've disabled it but miss it already. Having second thoughts.

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. I've disabled it and couldn't care less about it.

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. I never used it anyway.

46 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. I never knew it even existed.

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. It's the most useful feature Apple has ever created.

14 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Apple will regret their decision to remove it.

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  7. Apple will remove it but will realize their mistake and bring it back.

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. I care more about James Charles than 3D Touch.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. I use 3D Touch all the time and will not disable it on current or future iPhones.

20 vote(s)
    19.0%
  10. I love 3D Touch so much that I will never upgrade my current iPhone or iOS.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I've always found 3D Touch useless and annoying. 90% of the time, it never even worked for me due to finger's micro-slippage and not registering as a result.

I've disabled it to kill the habit early. How about you? Have you disabled it?

Cast your vote on how you feel about its removal.

2. drewdove macrumors member

I’ve always had good luck with this so as long as I can use it I will. I’m not going to use the headphone adapter on my iPhone six and I won’t disable it on this phone because of what may happen on a phone yet to be built.

3. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

They will replace it with Haptic Touch which will undoubtedly be a good enough replacement. Unless you have used the XR, reserve judgement. It works surprisingly well where it’s implemented and Apple will most certainly increase where Haptic Touch is applied to make up for the loss of 3D Touch. Having used the 6S Plus and 7 Plus before I got my XR, I was an avid user of 3D Touch, and miss app shortcuts and peek and pop, but other than the few areas it’s not implemented (which will likely change as Apple will increase where’s its implemented) and it’s fractionally slower response time, Haptic Touch feels just like 3D Touch.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

While I do not have 3D Touch on my current phone, back when I had a 6s Plus I disable 3D Touch as soon as I found out it could be disabled.

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I use 3DT fairly consistently. That's one option that is missing on the poll. If Apple can replace the functionality with equivalent functionality (haptic touch), more power to them. However, I am so programmed to pressing on the screen for alternative actions.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2019 ---
    I use my wifes XR and it drives me crazy that on that phone there is no 3DT. Whether it's called a budget phone, budget flagship or what, 3DT is useful enough, to me, I miss it when I can't use it.

6. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

I've never used it. I actually forgot that it existed until the story hit.

7. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

I’ve just disabled it on my 7 and thought I’d give it a go just using haptic touch.
    Will probably be finally upgrading this year so might be a good prep

8. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Yeah, the one area, and it is a big one, that is missing Haptic Touch is peek and pop. That is very useful. But I also used al of the app shortcuts, whether native or 3rd party apps, so I am hoping that peek and pop type function and app shortcuts come in iOS 13 presumably if the 2019 iPhones do drop 3D Touch.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I almost never use it. I wonder if disabling it will have any effect on battery.

10. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Hmm... now I have to consider whether to start drowning my phone to prepare myself for a future model that’s waterproof.

Or should I just disable the water resistance in my phone since I’ve never used it???

Until I can make up my mind... I think I’ll just disable Touch ID and start making funny faces at my phone in preparation for the day when I buy a phone that only supports Face ID.

;):p

11. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I use it everyday for various things such as expanding notifications, interacting with the quick toggles in the control panel, peek and pop in safari, to move the cursor around on the keyboard, occasionally on app icons. I’m not looking forward to it going but hopefully it can be replaced with something that has all the same functionality because haptic Touch on the Xr isn’t as functional as 3D Touch at the moment.

12. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Micro-slippage? I think you literally fabricated this when applying it to 3D Touch, as I’ve never heard that before with using 3D Touch. It’s a simple press on the display, not sure how your fingers are slipping.

Nah. _Zero_ reason to disable 3D Touch in preparation of anything. Which by the way, the same rumor said that last year, never happened.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I just realised what micro-slippage is - my screen protector is much more smooth than the iPhone screen. When pressing on it, my finger would glide slightly thanks to the extra smooth, oleographic coating.

It sometimes hindered 3D Touch responsiveness. It was easily fixed by increasing 3D Touch sensitivity.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s a valid point about increasing the touch sensitivity for 3D Touch, but still, that was one of the first I have ever heard with ‘micro slippage’.

16. Cobold macrumors regular

Cobold

Barely used it on any iPhone equipped with it (had 6s, 7 and 8 Plus).
    So now that I own an XR without 3D Touch, I don't miss it at all.

17. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

What happens to "Live" photos w/out 3D Touch? Wasn't 3D Touch introduced as a way to promote Live photos back in 2015? Do Live photos still work with just haptic touch? I have Live photos turned off because I don't use them myself, but curious if Apple would also be doing away with those also...?

18. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

I like it a lot, personally; works well for me. The biggest problem - and haptic touch has the same issue - is that there are no cues on where it's available and what options it provides. So do you just try hard/long pressing on everything to see if it gives you options? That's a general downside to all touch/gesture UIs.

(didn't vote though, because there didn't seem to be any "I use it and will miss it, but it's not a disaster it's going either" option).

19. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

It’s a shame apple is removing 3D Touch especially since it was the main new feature to the iPhone 6s and apple were excited for this. I’ll miss it even though many others probably won’t.

20. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

It will be replaced by Haptic Touch - no reason to disable.

21. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

You guys are super dramatic about the removal of Force Touch, wow

But then again, it a great feature, but not something I use extensively.

22. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

I use it every day why would i disable it

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We have some VERY passionate members here when it gets to features.

24. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

Works with haptic touch fine

25. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I use it on a daily basis. But it's no big deal for me. Would be a bit disappointed but I can get over it.