Who Else Hates the Design of iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OperatorAce, Mar 12, 2011.

1. OperatorAce macrumors newbie

Who Else Hates the Design of iPad2?

I do love how thin it is, and the flat back design, but other than that, I think Ives was trying to get fired.

The taper on the sides is reminiscent of a first gen iPod Touch, from 2008. It seriously is the same shape as that iPod. It looks weird in 2011, and looks even worse because unlike that first gen iPod Touch, it's not shiny. It's matte, so it looks cheap with what curves it has.

I'm pretty happy I bought the first one.

Not that this matters, after all, this design snafu doesn't affect the wonderful performance, the look of the front ( which is awesome, and looks better than the first), or how light and thing the unit is.

/rants of a design snob

2. bmat macrumors 6502

I like the look of the iPad 1 better, but I have to say that the curved back is much more comfortable to hold than the original.....

3. OperatorAce thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPad 1 had a curved back, but the iPad 2 is flat. It is better to hold i'll admit, only because its so light and thin.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Seems to be the Apple way of doing things - design a beautiful first product (iPad 1, iPhone 1) then with the second generation, redesign it entirely to make it less aesthetically pleasing but more technologically advanced. Hoping that by iPad 4 they'll be back to beautiful!

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I thought so too, till I used this skinny beast. iPad 2 is rather sexy. iPad 1 looks good no doubt, but iPad 2 is easier to hold and game on..
    I don't mind rolling with the 2.

6. waynep macrumors 6502

Back to the future . . . . If the iPhone rumor pics are correct, then it seems the iPhone will take on the look of something similar to the iPod Touch. . . I don't see anything wrong with that.

7. bmat macrumors 6502

It is the hard edges on the side that make it less comfortable I think. Having both the iPad 2 feels much more comfortable because of the curves on the side.

8. OperatorAce thread starter macrumors newbie

That source wasn't a very reliable one, I doubt Apple would go to something that looked that bad compared to the brilliance of the iPhone 4.

9. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Sounds like someone didnt get a new one and wants to justify it.

10. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I have both. They both have some wonderful things about them. After looking at them side by side for a while, I can clearly say that I prefer looks of iPad 2. Much sleeker... more tech looking.

By the way... haven't there been about 10 days since the announcement with thousands of pictures and side by sides online? Why the rant only now?

11. OperatorAce thread starter macrumors newbie

I was waiting to make a judgement until I saw one in real life.

12. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I think fatty sounds much better than skinny in a side by side comparison.

13. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I actually think the new design looks more like a MacBook Air when viewed from the side, not an iPod touch. I love the new design

14. iserian macrumors 6502

OP has a point. It used to be easy to insert the charger... now you have to look and angle it. I in general do not use my Pad's nude so once we get a ACTUAL case like the Apple Case I'll be satisfied.

The Magnitecial cases IMO are toy's.

15. aplqna macrumors 6502

I REALLY don't like the speaker grill. I prefer the metal circular buttons on iPhone 4 and the iPod nano 6g to the plastic ones on iPad 2. I also wasn't thrilled about the curvature at first, but I think it's growing on me.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like it. It feels very much like a thicker Kindle. It's nowhere near that light, but I didn't exactly expect that.

The Smart Covers make a huge difference. I'm able to cover either the front or back, and when folded on the back it makes holding the thing a bit easier than gripping alumnium -- or aluminium, depending on which Apple employee you are. It's just a bit too heavy to really hold it with one hand any way you like, but it does seem to be a bit lighter than my dad's first-gen model, even with the added weight of the cover.

My only worry about the design is the dock connector on the bottom. It seems a little awkward getting the plug in that hole, which seems to be like putting it in at an angle to your eyes. It's not, but your mind wants to tell you that.

17. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I didn't own the first one, but will say I love the iPad 2!!

18. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I don't hate the design but I don't think it's a knockout like the 1st iPad was. I would have liked a completely flat back without any tapering (iPhone 4), metal buttons instead of plastic, and the speaker grill seems out of place.

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Personally I like the design of the new iPad. I haven't decided which I like better but the new one certainly is nice.

And as iFixit said in their teardown of the 2:
    "With the iPad's new tapered-edge form factor, big iPod Touch jokes are sure to run wild."

(And here they are...)

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I didn't like it the moment I saw it. The first one is much better designed and looks thinner.

21. ExclamationKate macrumors newbie

I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to go through "stages of attraction" with new Apple products. First, it looks horrid. Then it starts to grow on me. Then I want/need/can't live without it. That's about the same time the older gen. starts to look, well, old.

Happened for me when Apple first moved to the Aluminum iMacs, with the iPhone 4, and also with the new iPad.

22. aplqna macrumors 6502

You pretty much said exactly what I said in my post lol.

23. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I'm not sure how you thought aluminum looked horrid compared to white plastic or how the black glass of the iPhone 4 looked horrid compared to black plastic.

24. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

It has no soul. I would have liked for them to have kept the crease in it (like the ipad 1) rather than the taper. Basically, take the iPad 1 and remove the back bulge and replace it with a flat back.

What they gave us was a stretched version of the iPod touch 1st generation.

I can only hope when the real iPad 2 comes out, they will have learned from their mistakes.