Who else is dreaming of a 13" with dedicated graphics and matte screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

This would be my perfect laptop.

After spending some time with the 17", and then the 15" I am dying to downsize to the 13". As a gamer I really need that dedicated graphics card. And the gloss screen has really started bothering me for the first time in years, I would really like to switch tom atte.

2. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

as a gamer you shouldnt be looking at a mac, end of story.

4. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I and many people in this forum are dreaming of, and expecting a lot more than that....

The Intel i5/i7 Processor

A Significantly Higher Resolution Screen (I would like to see the higher end 15" MBPs with both a Blu Ray Drive and 1920×1200 Resolution, Even if OSX has to be upgraded to render bigger text and icons at that resolution)

The ATI 5830 or 5850 GPU (Or any current gen (DirectX 11) mobile GPU with either GDDR5 Memory or a 256-bit Memory Bus. If this isn't feasible, an ATI 5830 at Minimum. All the Nvidia GPUs are two generations behind. The ATI 58XX series are the only half way decent laptop GPUs on the market.)

Blu Ray

Updated Display Port With Audio Output Support and/or HDMI port

The improved battery tech Apple recently developed (Already used in the 17 inch MBP?)

An improved HD resolution iSight Video Camera with Bigger Better Light Sensors

An Optional Matte Screen for those who want it

An Optional multitouch possibly detachable or flip screen

A HDTV Tuner & PVR Functionality so everywhere you take your Macbook, you would also have a HDTV that picks up HD signals off the air.

Oleophobic coating on the screen or maybe even the whole laptop

A Premium Carbon Fiber Unibody Case Option (Significantly Lighter, and if used as it is in sports equipment, damn near indestructable.)

Either 120GB SSD Drives or the recent 750GB 7200 RPM Laptop HDDs

USB 3.0 & If Possible with Light Peak

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9196335&postcount=1

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Right, Ive read all the posts, and I know all of the things that would be welcomed in the update, but my listed variable of updates is what I would like in MY laptop.

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

False, I have been gaming on macs for several years now and its great.

My current macbook pro can run most current games on high settings with great fps(dragon age, lord of the rings online, fallout 3, oblivion, crysis etc).

I frequent many game forums and read about many people who's custom built PC's arent running these games as well as my macbook pro.

The industry is definitely moving in the mac direction as well. Valve, a huge force in the gaming industry, just announced that they are going to start releasing all of thier games for OSX as well.

7. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Aside from the fact Valve is bringing Steam to the Mac. This will allow and open the door to major companies to get involved. Tell Tale Games are releasing some great adventure games for the Mac.

You know, aside from those there are no games for the Mac. Wait, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II and Diablo III

8. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I have two halves of an Italian carbon fiber race bike frame that would beg to differ with you.

Carbon fiber is a pretty poor choice for a large, flat surface. It would be very easy to crack/break.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, I am always amused by how everyone and their mom thinks carbon fiber is the best material ever made

It is extremely brittle and will shatter.....there is no denting carbon fiber, only cracking

10. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It doesn't sound all that brittle to me.

How exactly did your bike break? Was it involved in an accident/crash while going at high speeds that caused it to break?

Because if so, there's no way that a laptop would get exposed to that kind of stress, unless you happen to drop it off a 10 story building onto concrete.

There's a reason why they even made your bike out of carbon fiber in the first place. Because it was able to fully support your weight and in the manufacturer's testing withstand minor accidents without breaking.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

12. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

What's wrong with giving the matte option?

I just don't get you people sometimes. Just because you personally wouldn't opt for the matte option or for a blu ray drive or whatever, doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't give it as an option for those that want it or need it.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd love a matte screen more than anything. I just made a post about my glossy screen issue today..

Also I would love a dedicated GPU as well. Dell XPS 13" has dedicated GPU, so I'd say why not.

14. iSax1234 macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong please. Glossy shows better colors and deeper blacks with sacrifice of reflections? Matte just doesn't reflect? If you opt for a Matte screen you can't ever have glossy without replacing half of your notebook. Now why not just buy a glossy and put matte film on the screen. This will protect the screen and get rid of your nasty reflections???

Oh yes, it would be so lovely to have an ultraportable computer with good graphics. And then when you needed the exta space, for the majority of your work then just plug in the external.....ah do i wish

15. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd like the matte. I don't care about the graphics card though.

16. iwant2knowstuff macrumors newbie

There is nothing ultra portable about a MBP 13 (4.5 pounds) , a sony Z deserves to be called an Ultra portable.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Do you know what brittle means?

It does not mean weak or fragile

However, when it breaks, it breaks in a brittle manner

18. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I used to have an issue with glossy screens but no more... transitioned from a matte 12" > glossy 13" and a 15" matte > 15" glossy without any issue.

19. highscheme macrumors regular

also needs express card slot

20. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Definition of Brittle

"1 a : easily broken, cracked, or snapped <brittle clay> <brittle glass> b : easily disrupted, overthrown, or damaged : frail <a brittle friendship>
    2 a : perishable, mortal b : transitory, evanescent
    3 : easily hurt or offended : sensitive <a brittle personality>"

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brittle

21. highscheme macrumors regular

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or this, used in an engineering sense...as that is the definition we are after

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittleness

23. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

If the new macBook Pro came in a light brown carbon fibre frame... would we call it peanut brittle ? HAHAHAHA

I like reading threads like this because of the variety of people on here. I personally, haven't played a computer game (of any kind) in nearly 20 years (no kidding)... The last one I played was a game called MULE on a Commodore 64.

What I would like, quad core, 16 GB or ram.. put whatever dress and shoes you want on her (video and dvd). I would prefer the OS to have specific support for Solid State Drives (ie trim).

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I need dedicated graphics. Matte would be nice, but as there's no other PC's in the industry with them these days, I'll have to go glossy. :(

25. redrabbit macrumors 6502

That's strange. My gaming PC that I built for around $450 can run Crysis on maximum settings.