who else is going from 5 to 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leonard1818, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

2. Taylor-C macrumors 6502a

I've decided not to get a new iPhone this year...

Not enough changes for me, I'm afraid!

3. truelies macrumors regular

Nope. Nothing interesting. The improvement is so small.

4. Leonard1818 thread starter macrumors 68020

...in all fairness, I'm only doing it cause my wife needs a new phone but doesn't want the "latest and greatest" (plus she's more likely to lose it) and my line is eligible for an upgrade....sooooo I'll upgrade and give her my old one.

5. rainking macrumors regular

Considered it pre event. Official answer post event: nope!

6. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

7. Spacial macrumors 6502

No way, not even close.

But I'd already decided that, so watching the presentation was a matter of routine. I've literally seen them all since the iPhone was originally launched. A boring show like today was inevitable. They can't all be home runs.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have other things to buy. Not a hater, just feel the money could go towards a nice lens for my DSLR. Upgrading every other time makes me feel like I get more value for money.

9. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Deliberating...

I "camped" for the 5 and got it at AT&T's early upgrade pricing of $449... unfortunately they are telling me today that purchasing the 5S on launch day would cost $649... unless I wait until the 29th, which then will be $449. To most people, the obvious decision would be to wait 9 days, but I'm not most people.

10. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

yup, i'm gonna upgrade. 64 bit is a huge leap.

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Sticking with 4s

I hadn't planned on an upgrade, however in the past have done so if the reasons were compelling enough. In this case, I am totally underwhelmed and will sit this iteration out.

I am totally invested in the Apple ecosystem, so iPhone 6 is likely my next phone purchase.

12. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

You have a hard time waiting 9 days over a trivial update, but still have an iPad 2 and '09 iMac :rolleyes:

13. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Yes I do have a hard time waiting (if I have to go to a store, the chances of them being in stock will be hit/miss). My iPad will be upgraded whenever the new model comes out... the iMac is still going strong with 12GB of RAM.

14. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

Nope. Just looked at the cost of the new 5s on the uk store, yet another increase to £549 for 16gb (529 for 5, 499 for 4s). I love everything apple, but even I'm questioning the price tag now! :eek:

15. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    I'm due to upgrade my phone & had been very keenly waiting for the 5s but on seeing the specs I won't be upgrading. One reason - storage capacity.
    C'mon Apple where is the 128g storage?
    I carry heaps of music with me but I also shoot loads of video & photos and I'm constantly running out of space on my 64g 5.
    I would have thought that 128g would have been a top-end no-brainer for the 5s :mad:

16. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

I am, but it's not because I feel that I desperately need a 5S or because I feel the 5 is inadequate. It all boils down to needing 32 GB as opposed to the 16 GB iPhone 5 I have now. I tried 16 GB last year thinking it'd be enough with Spotify and iTunes Match lessening the music load, and I was just incredibly wrong. I have no music stored on the device outside of minimal cacheing that Spotify and Match do on their own, and I'm constantly deleting photos and videos while importing more often, and I still have to delete stuff all the time to have room for updates or to take videos or whatever. It's been colossally annoying. I tend to run heavier apps than most (though very few games, none large), and I was fine with 32 GB in the past. 16 GB was taking a chance. It didn't work.

So, Verizon iPhone 5S at 32 GB in Space Gray, see ya next Friday!

And to be clear, I'm not disappointed by the 5S. It looks like a great device and a nice basic set of improvements for an S release. There's only so much "wow" factor you can pack into the S years, and I think the fingerprint sensor, 64-bit architecture and improved camera more than suffice to make it a compelling option for those looking to upgrade. Most people with an iPhone 5 should still be pretty happy with what they have, as it's a great phone, but that doesn't diminish the improvements of the 5S.

----------

I was really, really hoping to see the storage capacities get bumped up. I knew it was a major long-shot, but by far my biggest wish was for the new lineup to feature 32/64/128 so I could jump to a 64 at the mid-tier pricing. I'm fine paying an extra hundred to double my capacity, but I upgrade my iPhone and iPad a lot, so going past that is hard for me to swallow as you tend to take more of a bath when reselling on the storage bumps than the core phone price.

17. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Absolutely.

Huge leaps in performance, huge leaps for camera/video, and finally being able to unlock my phone with just a touch (and authorize itunes/appstore downloads with just a touch). It's a no brainer. :)

18. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

I'm probably going to upgrade for the camera features but ill wait until I can jailbreak it...

19. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

20. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Can we get a poll on this? Results will be interesting !!

21. amdmaxx macrumors member

No point. IOS 7 on IP5 will hold me another year..

22. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

23. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

how is it huge? is the 5 slow? people like you is ridiculous

24. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

I am upgrading from a 5 to a 5s, mainly because I want to get one with more storage. I had a 16gb IPhone 5 and I want to upgrade to a 32gb. Also there is an upgrade available on my account and I was able to sell my phone plus some of the accessories that I didn't want anymore and in the end I will make money out of it. My only problem is that I have been without an IPhone for almost a month, so I would really like to get a launch day phone. I may end up having to camp out at a store but even then I don't know if it would be better to go to the Apple store, Sprint store, or a retailer. Wish they would have done pre-orders like last year. :(