Who else is on 7.X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vjicecool, Oct 1, 2014.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

I am afraid to upgrade it to the latest version. i am on 7.0.4 version and it works great. speed is good and battery life is good too

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

At some point, you should upgrade. There are security reasons to upgrade to 8.02.

3. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

List few pls

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I somewhat misspoke. iOS 8 will eventually get the vast majority of security updates and patches which should, in theory, make your phone safer than what it is now.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Unfortunately I am. :(

I'd love to go back to iOS 6, but Apple won't let you.

And I'm not going forward to iOS 8 and losing my jailbreak. So, I'm stuck here in this fruit salad that's gone past its buy date. :mad:

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Currently I'm planning to stay on 7.1.2 until my 5s no longer works.

As a general rule I try to keep my tech on the OS version it came with so that an update made for newer/faster hardware doesn't ruin the performance of mine (exp: iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 or iOS 8 on the 4s).

You might be able to get away with updating to the next iOS one time but updating year after year is just asking for your device to become a laggy mess and needing replacement.

It's really sad that Apple feels it's ok to stop signing old iOS versions even if the customer has already paid for the hardware they now own and already have the files/capability to downgrade if it weren't for Apple intentionally blocking it (aka planned obsolescence).

iOS 8 doesn't have any features that really wow me. Maybe an app will come along down the road that somehow changes my mind.

7. MattMJB0188, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I'm still running iOS 6.1.2 and IOS 7.1.2 on my ipad and 5S. Seems like every new iOS update brings nothing but slower performance and bugs. Why fix it if its not broken? I still love the iOS 6 look.

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG]

Completely agree. I think it's just people like the idea of getting a new toy (iOS update) to play with for free.

My mom recently asked me if it was ok to update her iPad Air to iOS 8, so I asked her "Do you need any feature of iOS 8 in particular?" Nope, she just wanted to try it out and play around with it.

To each there own, it's their own hardware an all, but as Matt said above: Why fix it if it's not broken? Especially with every new iOS update bringing nothing but slower performance and bugs to previous generation hardware...

9. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

I am skipping over iPhone 6/ 6+ this year and keeping my iPhone 5 on iOS 7.1.2 for at least another year. I am not upgrading beyond 7.1.2 to preserve performance.

10. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I was thinking about iOS 7 the other day and I think I like the new features in 8 a lot better for it to be worth it to go back to 7. I love the quick reply feature and swipe to delete.