Who else is waiting for the Nexus Prime announcement to make a decision?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Oct 5, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Well it seems the Nexus Prime will be announced at the Samsung event on October 11th. I've decided to wait until then to see what's announced before choosing whether to switch to Android at that time. I feel like Apple has left the door open for Google & Android to blow them away so I'm interested to see what is shown at the event. Anyone else in the same camp? For the first time, an Android device teaser has me excited. Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UspPrMS03mE

2. macbook123 macrumors 68000

+1.

Except for I'm not just waiting for the announcement to make a decision, but after this disappointing 4S announcement have already said goodbye to the iPhone. That is after having waited in line for each one of them the day they came out.

I'm moving to Android, either the Sprint Epic Touch or the Nexus Prime, depending on how good the latter is.

3. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm waiting for it yes but I will probably stick it out with my 3GS until 2012 iPhone is released.

4. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I will wait and see what Google Nexus Prime is about and more importantly were is it going.

I'm expecting it to be similar to SG2 with higher resolution and button less. I'm hoping the button less part keeps the form factor smaller. Because 4.6 in it's SG2 form is big.

5. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

That would be a hell to the yes! We shall know next Tuesday.

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I think this is a huge opportunity for people to be blown away by an Android phone with a generally lackluster release from Apple. Android has had dual-core processors in phones for a year, 8 megapixel f/2.0 lens for several months, voice commands on every phone and 960x540 QHD (retina type) displays on several phones.

Next week, we're likely to see next gen processor, awesome camera, a new Android OS (ICS) and most importantly a 1280x720 SAMOLED PLUS screen in a 4.3inch form factor.

It's not a zero sum game - iPhone and Android will coexist for years to come but I think this is the first time we may see people switch to Android from Apple if Samsung/Google really blow things out (Which they will :) ).

Time will tell.

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

If its made of plastic like the other Samsung phones, it's just not worth looking at no matter how the next Android os is.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The prime will not be SAMOLED PLUS. It's SAMOLED HD. This means one horrible thing: pentile. I will NEVER own a pentile screen, it's like looking outside through a screen door.

Also the screen will be 4.65 inches... just too big.

Leave it to apple to actually do the right thing and wait until they can do their tech right. For example, no LTE until its actually well deployed and the good low power 28 nm chipsets are out.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm waiting for the Nexus Prime announcement to make a decision. But its not between the Prime and the 4S. It's whether I'll get the Prime or just keep my i4.

10. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I don't get that argument - not all plastic is made equal and is not bad. Plastic allows things to be sturdy but light.

11. charliecc macrumors regular

^ This

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

out of all the android phone in the world the only one I would ever buy is the nexus device because it is the only one that will get the updates in a meaningful timeframe, but like another person said I too will prob just stick with the 3GS till I actually want to upgrade to something else.

but I do like the idea of the notion of nexus prime and you dock it into a big screen to make a tablet.

13. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

In the video in the initial post, at the very end you get a slight glimpse of the device. The bottom looks like an aluminum material...not plastic.

14. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Likely no...

Not interested in "chasing" specs. I've read that the screen could have 320PPI. That's still less than the current 4, and soon to be 4s. The whole argument about dual vs quad core, and that the Android handsets have had them for a year now is moot to me. I've compared the 4 I use to the latest and greatest dual core Android handsets, and the 4 still appears to run smoother, and cleaner.

Plus there's the whole ecosystem I've invested in. iTunes, Apps, etc. They work for me, and the phone is solid; good display, great battery, reliable [yes, I can make calls without drops. I did my homework before I bought a phone, and made sure the carrier supports my area :)], and easy to use. I love that I can press the home button, and I get immediate response, and my mail works, et-al.

----------

Samsung, and others have made phones out of plastic that appear to be metal. After some time, it wears off, and it's looks like cheap black plastic that was painted silver...just sayin...

15. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I was truly expecting the "iPhone5" to be announced yesterday. After 16 months Apple could have easily created a newly designed and updated device. I just can not fathom why they did not ? Now the Nexus-Prime looks like a no brainier to purchase.

Where is;

- Larger screen ?
    - 4G ?
    - NFC ?
    - thinner and lighter ?
    - Widgets ?
    - LED Notification Light ?

If Apple came out with redesigned iPhone5 with all those features I would leave Android and go back to Apple again. Now no thanks, bring on the Nexus-Prime.

I was expecting this;

iPhone3GS...iPhone4...iPhone5...
    [​IMG]

Or this;

[​IMG]

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Rumored specs:

"Samsung’s Exynos dual core CPU clocked at 1.5GHz, 1gb RAM, Super AMOLED Plus 4.65 inch 1280×720 HD display, 16gb internal memory (with sd card slot) is 8.8mm thick, metal body and a 2000mAh battery.

- It is heavier than the SGSII, weighing in at around 130g-140g because of the metal casing. It feels nice and has got decent weight."

http://9to5google.com/2011/09/16/ha...ime-with-the-unannounced-samsung-nexus-prime/

17. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Assuming the new screen is really pentile, I'm probably one of the few here who agrees with you. I stare at a pentile screen display everyday and really dislike that look, not to mention the typically oversaturated AMOLED colours.

LG has a new phone with a display that looks very nice, in a slightly more manageable size: http://www.intomobile.com/2011/10/0...ficial-45-inches-720p-goodness-paired-up-lte/

Personally I'd love to see a future iPhone at around 3.8" which will roughly be equivalent to Android 4", but hopefully with less bezel.

The unfortunate fact is, no other manufacturer has yet to make any smartphone that feels as well made as the iPhone 4's exterior. HTC uses premium material but their design feels bloated and their fit&finish always is below average. Samsung's designs are nice and thin but otherwise overly plastic with little aesthetic value. Motorolas feel well made but feel a bit too obtuse. Hopefully Nokia can create something that feels well made and pleasing at the same time.

18. lilo777 macrumors 603

Why? Because plastic does not break as easily as glass?

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd love for the Nexus Prime to be amazing and blow the 4S out of the water so Apple pull their finger out. I have a feeling the 4S is going to smash records, though. Remember the 3GS?

20. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

the samsung plastic phones are crap, they feel like a toy, not even in the same ballpark as iPhone when you compare.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

No matter how nice the nexus prime is, it still runs android, and its just a poorly coded OS that I want nothing to do with. I'm gonna get a 4s and keep my samsung focus, so I can switch between iOS and WP7, the 2 best mobile OS's out there

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

And yet there are much fewer complaints about plastic breaking on Samsung Galaxy S (in fact I have not seen any such complaint) phones than that about iPhone 4 glass breaking.

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I would miss iMessage (which I have grown to love) way too much to go to Android. Also, I really don't want to carry a enormous phone around with me.

24. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I wouldnt base anything off rumored specs from a 4chan user

25. drnen macrumors regular

i had been planning on preordering the 4s.. im coming from a 3g so its going to be a huge upgrade either way. But i think im going to wait. Never really thought id go to android but I need to ignore my fanboyism and act like an informed consumer :p I'm gonna wait and see what Sammy comes up with. I really was hoping for a bigger screen.. so im gonna take a pause.. at least for a few days.