Who else planned to upgrade from 5S to 6S but now won't do so?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poly, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

I wanted to upgrade but I had the opportunity to get a new mobile contract with T-Mobile which offered me basically 4 times my data volume (now 4GB) while still being 40€/month. And I got an iPhone6 16GB for free with it. I now have the brand new and sealed 6 here and my used 5S....

Since Apple upped the price tag for the 6S again and I can still sell my 5S for a decent price I'm thinking about just skipping the 6S and jump on that free iPhone6...Will probably get the newest and shiniest model with the 7 again lol.

TLDR: 6S features don't blow my mind like the 5S did and I got a 6 god damn cheap so I might just skip the 6S.

Is anyone with me or does someone feel the same as I am?

2. jetlagged macrumors 6502

Coming from 5s to 6s, I can see your point. If I had the 5s (instead of the 5) I wouldn't consider switching to the 6s either.

3. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

I've got a 5s. Contract is up. I've always been on the 's' cycle. Depends how you look at it. Would you have got the 6 from last year? Personally think the bigger screen, cpu, camera and the rest is a massive leap. Find the 5s to be too small now. Never thought I'd say that, but guess I use the phone more like a media device than an actual phone so a bigger one is the only way to go.

4. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Ty...

Yea the thing is, I actually am on the S cycle too. On the other hand I'm not on any cycle since I always buy my phones with cash instead of paying a monthly fee with my data/sms/phone contract.

5. sterl320 macrumors 6502

there are way too many differences between the 5s and the 6s to not consider it.

but basically if you don't care about 3d touch, live photos, 12mp rear camera, 5mp FaceTime camera, 4K video, updated chips, and a stronger case for the phone, then just got with the 6 lol.

personally, I feel that's a lot of extra features to not want to jump on it.

6. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm somewhat sick of the those hefty price jumps with each iPhone release so I'm currently fine with getting a free 6 and a better phone contract for less money than before. Plus I can sell my 5S for a decent amount which effectively reduces the monthly bill of my contract even more.
    Will probably just get the 7 once its available in 2016. *new design yay*

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I've always been on the S cycle, so it made sense considering I tend to not overtax my electronics that show age. That way I can leave some good battery life in it for other uses (see back-up phone or work phone).

8. Broadus macrumors 6502a

What hefty price jumps? I'm upgrading to the 6s from a four-year-old 4S. The price is the same, except I'm getting a 64GB phone for what I paid for the 32GB 4S.

9. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

In Germany the 6S is 40€ more expensive than the 6 was at launch. And the 6 itself was more expensive at launch than the 5S was back in the day.
    Yeah I know part of that is that the € is not as strong as it was back then and in the US taxes are not shown. But come on, if I make a direct transition $->€ I'm still paying a lot more than the US customer.

Example:
    6S 16GB is 649$ which I rounded to 700$ inlcuding taxes. This equals 620€.
    The 6S 16GB in Germany is 739€ which equals 840$....
    See?

10. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I hadn't noticed your location. I see your point. Apple hasn't changed its prices, but currency values and local taxes can make for huge differences. No fun.

11. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Check this:
    6S 16GB is 649$ which I rounded to 700$ inlcuding taxes. This equals 620€.
    The 6S 16GB in Germany is 739€ which equals 840$....

12. tjleonard macrumors 6502

I personally only found the s model's to be a little faster...2x faster like it usually says? Not really...just ever so slightly faster from normal usage. I like the 5, 6, 7, ect. The S model isn't a must for me...with that said, the 5s did have a fingerprint reader that was amazing. I skipped the 5s and when I got my 6, I realized how awesome it was just for that...I ordered the 6s, not really for any feature other than to be faster. I'm growing impatient in my old age, and while the 6 is super fast as it is (and hardly ever wait for anything), I think the fingerprint scanning takes a little too long. During the keynote they mentioned the fingerprint scanner being faster...I also like the idea of the live pictures. Taking pictures of dogs / babies, you always miss that great picture. Photo burst just never did it for me, but the live picture seems pretty cool. We'll see...I can easily see the OP's point...

13. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Yep--I would be aggravated with that, too. Without currency inflating the price, I had trouble pulling the trigger with the less-expensive Moto X Pure (Style) having been released, not to mention the forthcoming Google Nexus 5 (2015). Continuity among Apple devices (also have an iPad Air and rMBP) was the deciding factor, but I'm still on the fence a bit.

14. Poly thread starter macrumors 6502

Well once I had the Macbook Air, iPad Air and an iPhone the holy trinity was complete. And once you are in that ecosystem you don't want to leave anymore...

15. Tourgott macrumors member

I would love to upgrade but there's no 4" iPhone 6S. So I can't.

16. sterl320 macrumors 6502

There's going to be a "hefty" price jump when the 7 comes out lol. There really isn't going to be any difference then than now. But that's why I'm doing Sprint's upgrade program. Saving loads of money.

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

While I am going to stick with my 6, the one thing that attracts me to the 6s is the camera upgrade. That was a significant upgrade on both cameras. Everything else felt like fluff except the stronger casing. A 2 year cadence feels about right for an upgrade cycle and holding out 1 more year to get all this plus a little more and a new design will be my plan.

18. iDan187 macrumors newbie

iDan187

I had an iphone back when the 3GS was king, but I got bored with it and have been android ever since. This time last year I was about to pull the trigger on the 6 plus, but I avoided it and went with a galaxy note 4. That didn't last me long until I sold it for a nexus 6.... Which was awesome, but about a month ago, I switched for the regular iphone 6 and have been getting on really well with it. It was always my plan that if I liked it I'd pre order the new s model.

I think this years s upgrade is one of apples best, and I'm now real excited to get the 6s plus on the 25th