Who else thinks New Year's Eve is a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Who else thinks New Years Eve is a waste of time?

Here are my reasons why New Years Eve sucks:

Everything is too crowded and overpriced. If you need to get something to eat, the only place you can afford or get into is the local 7/11.

Your family and friends want to see you. I don't want to spend time with you for the rest of the year, why is today any different?

Kids. I hate them.

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

waloshin, is that you? :p

Sorry that you hate it so much, but um, 2010 can't go on forever! People like to celebrate. It gives us a break from the mundane.

Me, I am happy that my boyfriend got some time off. I'm looking forward to a quiet evening at home with him before life's daily distractions start distracting again.

3. JsR macrumors regular

I must admit...I'm really not a fan of New Years Eve. The prices to get in some of the clubs here is like £50 a ticket and that doesn't even include a drink! Also it's really over crowded.

I'm having a night in with my family. I can't believe I've just turned 23 and I'm staying in at New Year haha! :eek:

Have a good one my fellow Apples :D

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This thread is a waste of time.

Opinions, opinions ... :rolleyes:

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Quite frankly, now that I'm older I pretty much think that it is no big deal. I avoid going out because it is too much of a party night. We usually spend a quiet night at home.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I think all holidays are a waste of time, but who am I to judge? I'm sitting here on my computer, responding to threads on two different forums. Talk about wasting time.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Due to a poorly child, I'm now stopping in rather than going to a family gathering as originally planned.

I hope you're happy, stevensteven123. :p

9. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I have to disagree, New Years eve is not a waste of time.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

....o_O.

But Christmas is?

I'm apparently spending time at home with family, when I'd much rather be at my friend's house, where mostly all of my other friends will be tonight, including my girlfriend.

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I think it's a waste of time but my wife doesn't. She rules so I roll her way and celebrate it with her. If I had my way, I would skip right by Christmas and New Year's Day. It's just too much fluff...

12. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Hahahahahh. This. :p

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

14. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I don't think its a waste of time..It's a good time to socialize, see others, and generally have an all around good time if your a sociable person.

That said, I've never really been into all the hype and partying that surround it, and at 43 years of age can count on less than one hand the number of NYE parties I've been to, and on less than two hands can count the number of times I've actually stayed up to see the new year in.

For tonight I've got a couple of new books from the library to choose from, and should that not keep my interest a couple of movies.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

To me, it's more fun if the partying is low key. I wouldn't go out to the ball drop for instance in NYC but all my relatives have been there. I am the only one in my very large extended family who has never, and probably will never go to Times Square. Overall, I like it better than Christmas eve.

Anyway, happy new years to all.

16. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ehh it's my one time a year to get drunk so I take the event somewhat seriously, however I will be staying home with my gf, drinking some good stuff, watching something provocative on the tv and if things go my way...make sexy time!

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just consider NYE as a common birthday party, and go with the flow.

[​IMG] Is Katie Cake not well?

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Exactly what I thought when I saw this thread.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm no fan but I don't think it's a waste

Boston is expecting a million people for their first night celebration. That's way too many people to deal with

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Full of cold, which luckily she's not passed onto us. Yet.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, not so bad, although disagreeable for the poor dear.

Kids are so hard to watch out for. Way too many ways for them to get ill, from the things they touch, to the friends they play with.

One hopes that this will lead to a stronger adult as a result.

People that pander to their children's health, unnecessarily, are not doing them any real favour.

22. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I don't really care too much about a new year's eve, as that is just one of days in the year. Typically, this time of the year is considered the holidays in many countries; as such, I don't even consider flying nor making a hotel reservation as I am not into paying extra simply because it is the _____ day (fill in the blank).

Also, especially, (wrong kinds of?) people come out of the woodwork on a well known day such as the new year's eve or new year's day, which is one of the major downers for those well known public holidays.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's one of my favorite holidays, as it has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. I always make plans with friends, whether it be going out or going to someone's house for a party. As for expense, I'm going here tonight. $20 all you can drink from 10-midnight. If anyone thinks that's expensive, I don't know what to say.

http://www.tsbarchicago.com/

24. phas3, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011

phas3 macrumors 65816

I don't think NYE is a waste of time, but I just don't see the HOOORAY in it anymore. I'm 23 I should be like woohoo lets get drunk blah blah. But I barely drink nowadays and the people I actually want to spend NYE with is here with me in the living room right now. We're just gonna go to another buddies house and have dinner there and maybe have a couple beers but no big celebration this year.

I'm a social butterfly but I don't think its worth it to go stand in line at a bar and pay a cover fee and outrageously priced drinks so I can talk to a couple people. I can do that any other day.

So this year, I decided the money I was going to spend today getting wasted and waking up in the morning wishing I had that money back in my bank account will be going to my new PEACoAT! woooo 250, 40% off 150 yayaH! nice super fly.

also maybe if I had a good year I'd celebrate 2010 and bring in 2011 but that didn't happen this year lol