Who else thinks OS X Lion is a pile of crap????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacBookPro1981, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MacBookPro1981 macrumors newbie

Hey guys i installed the upgrade to OS X Lion earlier on this morning and got nothing only problems wit it freezing every time i opened an app or went to do anything on my MacBook Pro so i ended up having to erase everything off hard drive n reinstall OS X Snow leopard so everything is back to normal

Just wondering if anyone else had same problems when they upgraded???

2. darster Suspended

No problems with my 2011 imac and 2008 macbook. Works great.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not a problem at all for me. but then again i did a clean install to start off with so that might have mitigated some issues at the beginning.

4. wpotere Guest

Lots of people have and there are several threads on it.

5. fenskezen macrumors regular

Installed Lion a few weeks ago on my 2008 white mac book. I did the upgrade from Snow Leopard. I got a beach ball on the first day I used it..froze up twice... and from that point on, my computer has actually run faster than ever and I have not had a beach ball since. I think it took a day or two of use to settle in. I am happy I upgraded....:apple:

6. MacBookPro1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i'm not very impressed wit lion thought it would have been a lot better or maybe it just takes time 4 it ta come ryt i dont know really think i will leave it 4 a few months n try it again and c if it improves but it cant get any worse lol

7. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

One thing I did notice is longer boot-up and shutdown times.

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Didn't like it. Switched back to Snow Leopard. You should do the same if you don't like it.

10. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Lion is far from being good. It seems that it does appear to work on "some" Macs but not all. It's been proven many times that even on clean installs using nothing but Apple hardware and Apple apps, Lion fails to run consistently well for all machines that they claim will work on.

11. Dnix macrumors 6502

12. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

It is crap.. No real improvements, just flashy eye candy with iOS flavored sales pitch. No blue ray support, no new filesystem,.... Just a bunch of forced changes, most of them changes just for the sake of changes.

13. Cripps macrumors regular

14. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I weep for the future of the English language...

15. MacBookPro1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if i were you i would stay well clear of OS X Lion because it a pure wast of time doing the upgrade you will want to go back to OS X Snow Leopard as quick as you left it ;)

16. Dnix macrumors 6502

17. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

It's definitely not crap. It works fine and looks nice. After a while I got used to natural scrolling that now I can't live without.

It's just some design decisions that are boggling me, like the loss of Hex colors in DigitalColor Meter, window stacking in Mission Control and the removal of option-zoom in Quick Look.

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I did a 'clean install' and experienced no problems at all. My experience and training from my days of using Microsoft products taught me to NEVER upgrade a new OS version over an older one. ALWAYS ... ALWAYS ..... back up the old, reformat the HDD, then install the new OS.

I have issues with LION, but mostly just with me getting used to some of the changes over SL.

I did go back to SL once, and am now back on LION for the second time. I think LION will be a keeper on my MBP. My iMacs are still on SL, but since the MBP is working fine with LION we are about to do test installs on all iMacs, installing LION first on external drives to allow testing without affecting the existing internal installs.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me Lion has been good, I was not always a proponent of Lion, in fact a very vocal critic but with a clean install the OS has been rock solid

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Runs well on my new MBA
    No issues or problems at all for me

21. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

upgraded mine and don't have these issues

performance is (mostly) ok, just some of the new features I would like to turn off

22. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

I've been using it since day 1 and I haven't had any issues. This goes for three computers, all three updated from Snow Leopard (no "clean" installs).

23. tug macrumors 6502

were you trying to open third party apps that you exported from snow?

if these haven't been updated or not lion compatible then you will get the beach ball every time.

personally i had a hell of a time in lion 10.7, all because of candy bar which i exported without updating prior to launching it in lion.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't particularly like Lion. I only hope Apple can offer something better next year. Maybe convince me to get a new Mac. Snow Leopard will do me fine until then.

25. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Running fine on my 2011 MBA. However, this is my first Mac OS, so I don't have any others to compare it with. I also use Win 7 on a desktop and I rate them about equal.