Who has a maxed out 27" and FCPX?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kylepro88, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kylepro88 macrumors regular

Anybody out there have the 3.4Ghz option with a lot of RAM and the 2GB ATI card? I'm thinking of swapping my MacPro for an iMac but I've been doing tests to see how the machines stack up in render times, specifically in FCPX which uses the GPU on output.

Does anybody have an iMac of the specs above and FCPX that might be able to run a test for me? PM me if you're able.

What I plan on doing is uploading a decent size Prores file for you to download, add a specific number of built in FCPX effects, and render back out to Prores to clock the time.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What model Mac Pro 4,1 do you have? Geekbench offers a pretty good indication of CPU rendering ability in 64 bit FCP X. While the 3.4GHz iMac packs a punch in clock speed, it lacks in cores (compared to the Mac Pro) which makes the most difference in using FCP X, Compressor, and other 64 bit applications.

3. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I guess you know this, but I'm gonna say it anyway, just in case:
    If you have a single-CPU Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 you can upgrade it to a 3.33GHz 6-core for around 500 bucks (minus the money you get back in for the replaced CPU), which would put you ahead of most – if not all – current, and probably soon-to-come, iMac models.