Who has a Mino HD / Vado HD / Kodak Zi6 or other sub $200 HD camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jamin100, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I've just recieved a Kodak Zi6 HD (well 720p) camera so that I can take video's of my son/daughter to come (wife is due in a few months)

I'm just wondering who else has this type of camera and any of the other variants of the sub $200 ish HD camcorders like the mino or the vado.

What do you use them for and what do you edit them with?

I've got a mid 08 whitebook, 2.1ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. Is this going to be enough to run imovie 09 in and do some basic video editing?

Thoughts appreciated!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

When you are trying to import the movie files from the camcorder, a more powerful computer might go through the initial conversion faster or let's say when you are done with your project and want to export it, a better computer may work faster. In the end, yours should be able to do everything iMovie can do, except maybe a bit slower. I don't think it is that big a deal.

I don't own one of those small camcorders, but my camera can record video in MPEG-4, so it does not take up that much space and the quality is OK for home videos of our trips, etc. I guess they are similar to the previous "SD" versions of those cameras. Although, I gotta say I don't use it for major life events that are planned far in advance, such as weddings, births or graduations. I try to borrow from a friend who has a higher quality one.

The main feature I miss is the inability to use optical zoom while recording. I can zoom before I start recording, but not while recording. I don't know whether yours have optical zoom. Mine becomes unwatchable if I zoom digitally, but yours might perform well enough. Of course, a full size camcorder would have better quality images in general as well, but it is a cost benefit analysis for me. Besides, very few people like watching home videos, especially if it is somebody else's home videos. :)

3. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the digital zoom on the Zi6 is nt too good. its only 2x i think, but your better off walking closer to the subject your trying to film.

Like i say, this camera isnt a camera to record weddings and major events but for a quick shot of the kids playing football its great.

I'm planning on upgrading to imovie 09 because these mini hd camcorders don't have image stabalization so i'm hoping that i'll be able to use that feature on my whitebook

4. stevarino macrumors newbie

I am a bit of a gadget freak. I've really researched these cameras and played around with the Flip Mino HD and a non HD RCA before settling on the Kodak zi6. As far as I can tell, it is the only one that shoots at 60 fps. I found that especially outdoors it provides a superior quality. The ability to add as much memory as you like can be a big bonus for some as can the use of AA batteries. I purchased mine at Walmart in a kit which includes a neoprene case, mini tripod, 2 extra batteries (4 total) an overnight charger (which I don't care for as it does not appear to shut itself off when done etc.) and cleaning fluid/cloth all for $159! The only other one I'd consider for my uses anyway, is the Creative Vado HD. It is not quite as Mac friendly but has 8 gigs onboard (no sdhc slot but still twice what the Mino HD has). I think you will like the Kodak. Stay away from the digital zoom if you want the best quality. Sony's upcoming Webbie looks nice, but again 4x zoom is digital and still no 60 fps. Kodak's new model will be smaller than the zi6, but loses the very useful macro setting.

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

That's definitely good for iMovie. People were editing video on G4's and G5's just fine, and it seems suddenly that people forget how much faster nearly any Intel chipped Mac is than the old stuff.

Granted we're talking 720p, but still....it's not going to be a problem.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

here is a great deal today on this unit

Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder $129.99 with free shipping...this is $100 off!
    This is from Amazon.com
    Simply add the Vado HD to your Shopping Cart, enter promo code MY88J7DV at checkout, and Amazon will instantly apply a $100 savings.

VADO HD at Amazon

7. DCAbrams macrumors newbie

I just went through a long week of frustration attempting to get my Mino HD video to work properly with Final Cut.

I know you mentioned you'd be using iMovie '09, but if you run into any issues, I would suggest using QuickTime to convert your movies to .dv format. Solved a lot of issues for me.