Who has considered the Samsung Gear s2 over the apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Eggtastic, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Might be a silly question, but figured you could get a circular design, still works with iphone, and cheaper.

Any thoughts?

2. kissfan macrumors regular

kissfan

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Gear S2 is actually built well, similarly to the Gear S3. However, The OS is a bit laggy and it runs Android (Which I'm not a fan of), which can be another issue. But for the current price point for what you're receiving, it's very nice. Samsung does have the edge for those who want the circular design and it can be crossed used with iOS.

4. sirenized macrumors regular

I did. The lack of full iOS integration is what stopped me from getting a gear and going with the Apple Watch. The Watch is pretty limited run on iOS from what I've read

5. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

6. Ixidor macrumors regular

I have. I'd prefer the Gear S3 but it is too big on my wrist. Both Gear S2 and S3 classics are far better looking than the Apple Watch (imo). And I like that Tizen allows a keyboard input as well (numpad keyboard with alphabet support, like mobile phone keyboards back in the day). I think its better than handwriting recognition (aka Scribble).

Unfortunately, you cannot reply to notifications from the S2 if you are using an iPhone. This was a major deal breaker for me. And the Galaxy S8 is downright gorgeous... really wanted to switch over. Nonetheless, I'm still sticking with iPhones only because of the Apple Ecosystem. I love how seamlessly my devices work/sync together (iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone) such that I can just take any device, or the best device for a task, and start working. I love how I have access to all my files on my phone easily at any time too. I pay for iCloud storage for this convenience, but I also do use OneDrive, but the latter is not seamless.

If not for the ecosystem, I'd pick the Samsung smartwatches and flagship phones any day.

7. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I just got a Gear S3 Frontier after having an Apple Watch for 2 years (never left my wrist except to charge while sleeping) and really like. I'm very surprised frankly. I am in the process of jumping to my first non-iPhone in a long time and the watch was something that I was very worried about. Granted, I'm using it with a Note 8, not an iPhone, but the watch itself is very solid.

It is very fast and smooth, and more intuitive than the Apple Watch by a long shot. One big benefit is that the rotating dial works when you have sweaty hands, and the AW swipe left to right is a nightmare in that scenario. I went to the gym for the first time last night after having it 2 days and had no problem tracking my workout.

Regarding the size, I actually like the size fine and I don't have huge arms. I compared it to the watch my daughter was wearing yesterday and was almost identical size.. and she's a fairly small and thin young lady. Admittedly, its not everyone's taste. The AW to me is one of those things that is ugly enough to be cool... but only because it came from Apple.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

gear S doesn't work very well on iphones though. It's a good watch for sure but i feel it's for just notifications. You can do alot more for me on the apple watch

9. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Yes, I figured it wouldn't work well with an iPhone... just sharing my experience. And added benefit... I didn't realize I could type a message on the watch but just tried it and works great.

10. Ixidor macrumors regular

I have a Gear S3 and a galaxy S8 (using alongside my series 3 Apple Watch and iPhone 6S).

I agree that the Gear S3 looks nicer and much more intuitive to use. But the app support for the Gear S3 is so limited that most of the time, I’m just using the stock apps.

If I had to pick one, I’d go with the Apple Watch. There are just so many more things that I can do with it than with the Gear S3.

11. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

This sentence says it all.

People will fall in love with new things, new adventure, and comes drooling about it but when the bugs show or it doesn't work well they'll never come back to tell us.

12. richard371 macrumors 68000

Most of the data we consume is on a rectangular device. Tv, phone, ebook, theater, iPad etc. Apple made the watch rectangle for the user experience. I do not want to read data off a round screen. I’ve seen it on the round smart watches and it’s horrible. Round is fine for an analog clock but the word is changing and we will look back someday and think how funny round watches look. I hope Apple does not do a round watch.

13. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

After having an Apple Watch on my wrist every day for 2 years and having a Gear S3 round watch on my wrist for a few days, I 100% disagree with you. The user experience on the round watch is actually better. The data itself scrolls anyway in either case, so the fact that you lose a little in the curved part has a negligible effect. On many apps, the rounded area is used to put controls and buttons so its not even lost. The benefit of the round dial to use for navigation just works better. Comparing the AW crown and swipe model, vs. the rotating dial... the dial wins hands down. The little tiny crown is hard to control vs. a big dial... this is why high quality audio equipment has big heavy knobs and not tiny, tiny ones. And there are so many things on the watch you end up controlling with swiping also. With sweaty or wet hands... like during a workout.. very unwieldy. The big round dial just works better.

The areas where the AW is better have nothing to do with it being square. They have a better library of apps and the complications is something I wish was available. Instead, you have to find a face that has the things you want to see, and in no cases will the faces be able to show live 3rd party data. For the apps, MOST of the apps you really need on an AW are the ones it comes with, and the S3 has comparable quality apps. MANY of the 3rd party apps are cool to play with but not that practical. For example, I have the Delta app that puts my boarding pass on my watch, but I have never felt the urge to try and use that at the gate when I'm boarding. It would be awkward at best.