Who has light coming from the back of their White iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikey B, Aug 9, 2008.

?

So you have a light leak on the back of your iPhone 3G?

1. yes.

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. no.

46 vote(s)
    76.7%
  1. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm wondering who has a "light leak" coming from the plastic back of their iPhones. This is different than the light leak many have had on the front of their phones. In the dark, my white 16GB has a great deal of light that radiates through the plastic. It's only noticeable in the dark, but to me, is pretty bright. It's almost like the dye used in the plastic wasn't evenly applied, allowing light from the screen to penetrate through the back.

I've had this on 3 3Gs, all white. If you have had this issue as well, please indicate what color your iPhone is and the week it was produced if you know. I had a unit replaced because of this, and that replacement has the same issue. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I don't think its too much to expect this not to happen.

2. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

3. i0Nic macrumors 65816

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

mine has it
    maybe its a manufacturing problem
    but my phone works fine
    and i think its actually really cool

anyone who gets theirs replaced because of this is just being overly obsessive, and wasting replacement units. now someone with a real problem is gonna have to wait to get it fixed

5. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

what's a real problem in your opinion? is a cracking case? is the front light leak? dust under the screen? only internal hardware? software?

i don't see why its being overly obsessive to expect a pretty expensive cell phone to be free of manufacturing defect. and there's plenty of replacement units to go around.

6. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i don't know if all of them do, but it seems to be affecting whites much more than black. i'm not sure if i've heard of any black ones suffering from this defect.

7. big_malk macrumors 6502a

My black 16GB doesn't.

Anyone have pictures, I'm curious?

8. profetto macrumors regular

Would be cool if the Apple symbol on the back lit up like on the MacBooks.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

That would be cool. My black shows no light except for on screen.

10. i0Nic macrumors 65816

11. aphexii macrumors 6502

if my white does, I haven't noticed it. I don't normally look at the back of my phone in the dark while i'm using it.

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Are people with white iPhones who are clicking 'No' problem-free in regards to this issue or have just never turned their phone around in the dark to test this?

13. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'll take some pics tonight.

14. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That would be cool!
    Has anyone ever seen on Nickelodeon's iCarly (my sister watches it a lot), they use the iPhone but they change the apple logo on the back to a pear and call it the PearPhone? Well, the pear lights up. Just though I'd mention =)

15. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm just curious that there's a lot of No's being answered, wondering if that is mostly black iPhone owners or if there are white iPhones that don't have this issue?

16. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Post pics. I would think that would look cool to have a lighted back. Anyways, post pics.

17. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Any pics of this yet?

18. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Been working. I'll take some tonight.

19. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I should have clarified white only in the poll, I have a feeling that's the case.

20. brianj macrumors member

I have a white and no I dont see any light, even though it was be cool if it was like on my MBP :D

21. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

yeah, i'd be cool with it if it was in a pattern or by design, but its not. it's random and due to poor quality control...

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I figured it was just due to using thin plastic. Maybe you'd rather they used metal (so you could get zero bars of 3G, 24/7) or thicker plastic so your iPhone was heavier and bulkier. :confused:

23. secretmrx macrumors newbie

i live in New Zealand and paid $800 for my iphone (without a contract). I think its only fair enough. Imagine buying a $100,000 car and finding that exhaust is leaking through into the cabin through the air conditioning unit? Do you just say "its good enough?" Or do you alert the manufacturer to the problem by replacing it, getting a good one and saving others from getting this? Apple will fix it. you think you are doing a good thing for others by "wasting units" where you are actually doing a disservice by not alerting apple to the issue so they will not fix it.

24. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I have a white iPhone that I use to listen to music to every night. I have never noticed any light leakage from the back side. (I do see some leaking between the silver trim ring and the back -- but that is more line the side than the back.

25. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Waiting for pics for the thread starter. It might actually look cool.