Who Here Donates Money to Gun Control Advocacy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Arran, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Since money makes politicians sit up and take notice, I want to donate cash to an organization that lobbies for sensible gun control.

Any recommendations on which group to donate to? Where will I get the most, ahem, "bang" for my buck?

(FYI, Anyone who suggests "the NRA" will be politely ignored :) )

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I threw money at Bernie Sanders to encourage his campaign, but I'm at a loss here trying to figure out who or what you'd donate to in this case. I've never thought about donating money to spur gun control, and would instead just suggest supporting liberal politicians who will eventually (maybe another 1,000 years, or so) get around to passing some laws that actually do something.

3. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Keep your money, just keep calling your local congressman and voice your opinion. And maybe start a twitter campaign to encourage others to do the same.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the Brady Campaign takes donations I don't personally donate to any political causes, but I remembered hearing the name so I think they are one of the larger groups. But unless you are donating a few million dollars it's not going to make any politicians listen.

5. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't believe that works in this case. Money talks. Always has. "One man one vote", is ancient history. It's, "one dollar one vote" now, if we're being perfectly honest with ourselves.

Given that, I want to pay for some focused and highly skilled lobbyists to talk convincingly on my behalf on issues important to me. I think others feel the same way, but our individual voices have simply been drowned out by the big money of the opposition.

Politicians respond to money. Not ideal, but may as well accept the fact.

6. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

As am I, hence the thread.

The opposition are well-organized and have a clear voice. Time to do the same and engage them directly on their own battlefield.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Sure money is typically needed in order to help get one's message out to influence public opinion but in this case 90% of Americans already agree we need to implement common sense gun control measures.

The problem is corrupt congressman. So unless you plan on paying someone to physically threaten these corrupt politicians, you're just wasting money. We need to put the fear of God into these corrupt politicians by calling them up and letting them know that they will pay for ignoring the voters.

8. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

Okay, Brady looks interesting and pops up in a lot of searches. Problem is they seem to be financially outgunned by the NRA.

2012 Brady revenue $4.5 million. NRA revenue $41 million.

Sources are here (Brady) and here (NRA)

That, in a nutshell, is why school kids and students continue to be murdered while the American public collectively wring their hands while being told nothing can be done (or as Jeb! so impotently stated: "stuff happens". Seriously Jeb?)

I'm sick of seeing this happen again and again. And I'm sick of talking about it. Talk is cheap. This is an American problem which can be easily fixed the American way: Money. Lots of it.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You might be interested in the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.

http://csgv.org/

Honestly, the Supreme Court has been extremely effective at yanking the U.S. to the right in recent decades. In the case of U.S. v. Emerson, the Court created a new unprecedented interpretation of the 2nd Amendment that was a dream for the gun lobby:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Emerson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._City_of_Chicago

At this point, effective gun control is constitutionally impossible. Many justices are at the point where I expect they will retire during the term of the next President, and, the court could become even more conservative in the next 10 years.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/abortion-birth-control-race-top-supreme-court-s-agenda-1.1424868

If you don't like power the gun lobby has, too bad. The current court sides with the gun manufacturers on their interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, and, there is currently no way to curb the political power of large corporations.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you guys are so funny.

here, simply copy/paste from another thread.

the gun owning community gets to see the stupidity spewed by many & see no reason to even try to "compromise".

blood is in MY hands?
    gun owners are happy the tragedy happened?
    I AM directly to blame for what a deranged lunatic did?

THAT WAS POSTED/IMPLIED BY A FEW HERE.

When I see stupid POS politicians who have NO CLUE what they are talking about, then no, I don't exactly feel like doing something . ghost guns/shoulder thing that goes up.

instead of blaming gun owners & the NRA, why don't YOU elect politicians who don't have their head so far up their rear end that MIGHT suggest something that MAKES SENSE instead of blabbing out STUPIDITY.

plenty come in with insults as noted above and WE are supposed to help YOU? ok, give me a politician I can work with, until then, NOT ONE MORE INCH.****
    the gun owning community gets to see the stupidity spewed by many & see no reason to even try to "compromise".

blood is in MY hands?
    gun owners are happy the tragedy happened?
    I AM directly to blame for what a deranged lunatic did?

THAT WAS POSTED/IMPLIED BY A FEW HERE.

When I see stupid POS politicians who have NO CLUE what they are talking about, then no, I don't exactly feel like doing something . ghost guns/shoulder thing that goes up.

instead of blaming gun owners & the NRA, why don't YOU elect politicians who don't have their head so far up their rear end that MIGHT suggest something that MAKES SENSE instead of blabbing out STUPIDITY.

plenty come in with insults as noted above and WE are supposed to help YOU? ok, give me a politician I can work with, until then, NOT ONE MORE INCH.

the Brady campaign along with all the stupid politicians YOU guys elect are the reason why the NRA gets bigger. about 50-80 million gun owners & the NRA is only about 5 million strong, we are all on the same boat, you elect the stupid & extreme & we are stuck supporting the stupid & extreme in order to counter that level of stupidity ........

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I have no idea what you are trying to say. No argument, no premises, no logic, no conclusion.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I get that a lot :p it is more of a statement than an argument. can't help you if you don't see the conclusion.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Keep wasting your money while the millions of the rest of us continue giving the NRA and GOA more power.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thank you for posting your gun manifesto on the internet.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

views like yours is why some of us are stuck joining the NRA. gun manifesto? give me a break.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Consider yourself lucky he didn't throw in the perjoratives of gun nut and ammosexual.

17. .Andy, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't think I've even use the term "gun nut" or "ammosexual" in my 11 years here. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I prefer "gun apologist".

Edit: didn't think you'd be able to back it up. A dishonest gun apologist.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

[QUOTE=".Andy, post: 22021991, member: 37526"I prefer "gun apologist".[/QUOTE]

The stylistically correct term, but, sadly, one that goes right over the heads of most gun nuts.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The stylistically correct term, but, sadly, one that goes right over the heads of most gun nuts.[/QUOTE]
    Hoplaphobia is real

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Read the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. There's a manifesto for you.

21. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

Thanks for the links. Anyone got anything to say about the effectiveness of either org?

I was planning a monthly contribution to one. Guess I could split it between the two? They seem to be coming at the problem from different angles. Might be a good idea to hedge bets? Thoughts?

I like that Brady appears to be above partisan politics with clear support from both sides. OTOH, I wasn't sure about csgv's very wide membership (diffusion of power, lack of focus) and their somewhat pugilistic stance (possibly counterproductive, and somewhat surprising given the number of religious organizations that are members) - but both attributes could be distinct advantages in this fight.

Anyone got any others to consider?

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

try https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate/

23. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

Oh yeah, can we keep this thread on topic please. This thread is about donations to gun control advocacy. I gave it a clear title. No excuses.

If you really must indulge in the tedious pro/anti tit-for-tat, please go play in another thread. There are plenty of them - as you well know.

Thanks!

24. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Part of the issue is that the NRA represents the gun industry first and foremost, and they can afford to lobby for laws protecting them. I don't believe any industry directly benefits from gun control laws in the same way, so it's a bit of a barrier to overcome if you're trying to throw cash at this problem rather than voter outrage and whatnot.

25. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

No way, the Brady Campaign is old and busted the new hotness is "Everytown for gun safety" and its subsidiary "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America". It is the group Blomberg gave million dollars to and promised 50 million more.