Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you hate Apple due to .Mac

• Yes - Let ME at THEM!

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I had an iTools account but what can you do

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I am not happy but I will still pay for my .Mac

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I think it is all great value and I am 100% happy!

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Never Liked Apple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

awulf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
I am so angry about the pay $50 ($100AU) per year for just the use of iTools. All I wont is my mac.com e-mail (5mb) and a small iDisk, thats it. I am not paying US$50.

What do you all think :mad:

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I don't hate them, but...

This was really stupid. I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade yet, but I know a lot of people who won't be.

I can count five friends who are not going to want to pay for e-mail. And before anyone says it, these friends don't care about any of the extras that come with the e-mail. All they want is a free e-mail account that integrates well with their OS.

Apple is effectively taking this away from them.

I am not happy about this one.

Taft

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
To heck with upgrading, I'm going back to my old Excite.com mail account. I guess iTools was too good to last. :rolleyes:

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
I think your mac.com email is still free. You just only get 5MB instead of 15MB with a pay account. It's called a "trial account", but it's still free, as far as I can tell.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
sorry to say, but I will let that trial .mac account expire. and just got back to the ISP email adres I have.

I pay monthly around 37$ for my cable, and then another 100$ just for an extra email and wabpage, no sir. Sorry.

I was always bragging about Apple's free iTools services, now I have nothing to brag about anymore.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Geert
sorry to say, but I will let that trial .mac account expire. and just got back to the ISP email adres I have.

I pay monthly around 37$ for my cable, and then another 100$ just for an extra email and wabpage, no sir. Sorry.

I was always bragging about Apple's free iTools services, now I have nothing to brag about anymore.

I'm with you all the way man.

hitman

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by hitman
You have to pay $10 a year for the email account only. I think it's in the FAQ.

I didn't see that in the faq. Got a link???

Taft

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Geert

You must have something else other than iTools to brag about..... surely......?

It's a shame that Apple are going to start charging for the whole service....... it was always quite a desirable bonus....... but I imagine that it was the cost and logistics that have made Apple decide to charge for the services.......

I don't hate them for it though...........

AppleJunkie

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Well, Back to MSN hotmail. I'm not going to upgrade to .mac , but I will dish out the money for Jaguar. Geez I used my mac.com email the most too!

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Taft

I didn't see that in the faq. Got a link???

Taft

It's down a little. Here is a direct quote :

Additional Mac.com Email accounts include 5MB of storage and cost $10 per year. There is no additional storage available for email-only accounts, and the photo signature feature is not available.

I'm not exactly sure if they mean extra .Mac email accounts or if you can sign up for a solitary email account.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I repeat:

Gotcho Back !

Look folks...

Techno blueballs is no reason to get pissed off.

Apple has made incredible progress in a limp market ans, when compared to Wallstreet is technically AHEAD of the market. Being down 2% when everybody else is down more like 10-30% is MAJOR.

All the stuff we've just seen is all HUGE in it's connotations. Apple is taking an agressive posture against M$. We even got browser capability out of Sherlock and filesharing on iChat for Gods' sakes!

We all knew already that powermacs will be cycling NEXT month after august 12th so QUIT COMPLAINING.

IF YOU STILL HAVE A BITCH IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT. IF YOU'VE BEEN HOLDING OFF ON REPLACING YOUR 604 MACHINE UNTIL G5 YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE AND BUY A NEW MACHINE OR SHUT UP ALREADY.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>IF YOU STILL HAVE A BITCH IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT.
I repeat, I thought dogs... :D :D

Again, I'm disappointed about some of the things, especially the price for Jaguar and for the .Mac account. But I am more into the Jaguar upgrade, and I can't help but wonder if in a couple of months there will be an upgrade version available for $30 or so.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ha, nice double post here Mischief!:D

Not much we can really do. I don't use my apple email account, so its no real problem for me. I've just been using the iTools and iDisk for its convenience, saving bandwidth on my site. Looks like I'll be moving my stuff back.

D

Coitus

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2002
Kill em all!

Here's the deal.

Mac.com should have a free section, even if it's 3MB for email and 5MB for web. It should be free and should always be free. It's OK if it's so small it's useless too. As long as it's free. Then people can't complain. Go ahead look that gift horse right in the mouth. What the hell are you doing you're not a vet get away from that damn horse!

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my Mac.com account anyhow but you know what? It's really freaking slow! Really Really Really Really SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! So slow in fact that I can't even see myself trying to upload 100MB to the online servers because when I try the same thing with a 6MB file it takes 30 Minutes and the connection craps out three times. Yeah right! I'm gonna try this again with a 60MB file next!?!

My solution is going to have to be to get my ISP to set me up with an FTP server. It'll cost more but it'll be worth the money. iTools was a neat toy but nowhere near fast enough to justify charging for it.

I'll tell ya another thing. People aren't going to pay $129 for Jaguar either. They'll wait for the powermacs that are "STILL BEHIND SCHEDULE" to come pre-loaded with it. The OS has always been free for mac users, we do what we can to keep it that way. Try and copy Microsoft all you want Apple, good idea, don't worry about alienating your core users or nothing, just grab for the cash.

Oh yeah and since Steve wasn't up to the task... here's my one more thing.

Try using some of that 4.3 billion in cash to buy back some of your stock. Do something besides screwing your investors and your core users at the same time! 6 Billion in market cap 4.3 billion in cash and a stock price in the freaking toilet. Nice move buddy! I'm not fueling that bloody jet for you next time.

I've used macs since 1987 and hate windows, but it's an economic issue. I've bought more PCs in the last two years than macs. If the next powermac isn't a G5 I'm selling my stock.... and.... going wintel. That's how pissed off I am. Ease of use has a price, and Apple is pricing it out of my league. If a new powermac here in Canada costs well over $4000 and I can get a wintel box that blows it out of the water for $2000 then I have to use the less expensive faster solution. Don't get all hostile with me either cause I use both OS's daily and Win2K is not _that_ bad. It crashes sure, but $2000 in my pocket or a second machine in my office for the same price as one mac will make me quickly forget about what life was like with the macOS.

Did anyone else hear that popping sound. I think I just heard the sound of one giant Reality Distortion Field disappearing from the radar screen. The honeymoon is over Apple. What have you done for me lately baby?

Coitus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.