Who here HATES iTunes and thinks it's a bloated, buggy, overly complicated, slow POS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wikoogle, Jun 9, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I freaking hate iTunes. Programs for simple tasks like uploading music onto devices should be efficently coded, not resource hogs that are incredibly unintuitive and needlessly complicated.

Why can't we just drag and drop music and videos directly onto our phone like we can with just about every other media player? I already have all of my music organized just as I want it on my computer. Just let me drag the folders I want directly into the iPhone without having to bother with a 100mb download that runs like crap.

There's absolutely no excuse why such a simple function needs such a complicated program.

iTunes is also slow and buggy as hell on Windows 7. Plus it's loaded with bloatware. It comes with Quicktime and Bonjour and all this other nonsense I don't need, it insists on launching a background application everytime you boot up Windows, and still takes forever to load even on a state of the art windows based system! If I uninstall Quicktime, iTunes stops working as well. Why exactly does iTunes need Quicktime to run?

I love everything else about the iPhone mind you. Just iTunes is so needlessly complicated, bloated, resource hungry, buggy and slow.

Apple, just create a Media folder on the iPhone and let us drag and drop whatever media we want into it. I don't need this slow buggy interface and pain in the ass syncing, acquiring album art, accidently deleting your music when you sync it and all the other nonsense that comes with iTunes.

My PC is running a 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with an ATI 5830 GPU, 4 GB of ram, and a terabyte hdd. It's regularly maintained with ccleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials. It can run Photoshop, Maya, Final Cut Pro, compile code etc all without a hitch. It's not the PC that's the problem, it's iTunes.

I've been trying to teach my parents how to do even basic things with it for years and it really is an unintuitive piece of crap, which is strange for Apple. I've been able to teach my parents to browse the internet, install and disable addons on firefox, use office, even use Photoshop for basic editing. But teaching them to manage their media with iTunes just serves to emphasize how ridiculously poorly designed and unintuitive iTunes really is.

Perhaps someone can link me to something that lets my parents simply drag and drop a music folder directly onto their iPhone. Then when they're done listening to it, lets them delete that folder off the phone and drag some other music folder into their iPhone. The simpler the better.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like it. Haven't had any of the problems that you have had.

3. sjackson12 macrumors member

I don't like it really, it's not horrible but on my mac I prefer Cog (due to its similarity to winamp).

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

In all fairness the Windows version of iTunes isn't Apple's greatest masterpiece. The Mac version is better - I've used both.

Also if you think iTunes is complicated, then wow, just wow - really?

On windows, you can manually manage your music by clicking and dragging. Back when I synced my 1st gen with a Windows PC, that's how I did it. Otherwise creating playlist are really easy way to sync music as well.

5. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Not a fan of it myself using both OS X and Windows.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

7. Biker macrumors regular

I like itunes to play music and sync to my ipod touch, but watching video on it just suck, too laggy.

8. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Maybe you should see if your computer actually fits the requirements...
    iTunes is a heavy package I have to agree. Yet it's simple and does what it's meant to do.

It runs great on mine, but my PC is very high specs so don't take that as me saying that iTunes is perfect.

9. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

Drag a drop would require steve to think you have a brain... silly OP.

10. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yes really. I've been trying to teach my parents how to do even basic things with it for years and it really is an unintuitive piece of crap, which is strange for Apple. I've been able to teach my parents to browse the internet, install and disable addons on firefox, use office, even use Photoshop. But iTunes is a pain in the ass.

It would be so much simpler if we could simply drag and drop music and videos and what not directly into the iPhone.

11. sjackson12 macrumors member

Also I'd be less annoyed with it if they didn't add so much crap over the last few years, like the "genius" part. Or at least if you could choose not to install things like that and just run a simpler version.

12. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

Honestly for the tech stupid.. it would be easier to say... plug in your phone.. find the phone in my computer or finder.. the find your music folders and drag and drop what you want.

Thats more simple that Itunes..

Ok you can only authorize x amount of computers to transfer music
    You either have to make playlist or go and check uncheck what songs you want to sync
    No you cant delete songs off your phone must plug in
    etc etc

13. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Why exactly is iTunes a heavy package? It's not some task heavy video editing or rendering program. It's a way to upload music onto a music player. There is no excuse why such a simple function needs to be a heavy package.

The PC I'm talking about is running on a 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo with an ATI 5830 GPU, 4 GB of ram, and a terabyte hdd. It's regularly maintained with ccleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials. It can run Photoshop, Maya, Final Cut Pro, compile code etc all without a hitch. It's not the PC that's the problem, it's iTunes.

14. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

You can do this. That's how I add stuff to my ipod, ipad, and iphone.

Just make sure you have your device set to "manual management," then you just drag and drop the files you want.

15. outphase macrumors 65816

In the main iPhone window, there's a box that you can check saying "Manually manage music and videos." Enable that and you can do what you want.

16. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

iTunes mostly poops even on my Macbook Pro 2009 4Gb RAM and it has all bells and whistles. Video is the worst when played on iTunes.

There's no way to TURN OFF the updates EVEN if you check "dont ask me again!" box over and over again. Whether one needs an update or not is the end user's choice, doesn't mean Apple has to shove it down the user's throat.

Oh and for crying out loud, we can't drag and drop files to use the phone like an iPod to save important project files!

17. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

iTunes comes with Quicktime. So that adds to it. When running it uses a lot of memory.

18. camarobh macrumors 6502

I Love iTunes

I love iTunes. It keeps my audio and video files organized. I use multiple smart playlists to keep my iPhone, iPad, and three Apple TVs updated with the specific content I want on them.

I actually consider iTunes to be one of the "core features" that will continue to keep Apple's products ahead of all others.

19. Marlon177 macrumors member

20. xpolicy macrumors newbie

I hate every software made for managing mp3 players. Itunes, Zunes software.

I have my music organized by folders on my computer why can't it be organized by folders on my mp3 player. I understand putting artists and albums together but I have that done already in a folder format and when some songs don't have the proper artist or album name it screws up in Itunes. I can't put all of my music on my mp3 player because it would take for ever to go through and tell iTunes what artists and album every single song belongs to.

21. masterlimp macrumors member

+1, iTunes is a horrible experience on PC.

The very concept of it is junk actually. It's terribly confusing to new customers who just buy a new i-product and can't use it unless they sync with the junk known as iTunes first.

22. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Using latest version on a 4 year old MacBook with only 2gb Ram and it runs like a dream. Two iPhones, two iPads, zero problems.

Bloated it may have become but it's still the best ive seen and as for difficult to use, blimey even my ten year old niece can use it!!

23. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

I'd like to mention that the 9.2 beta of iTunes runs horribly on my mac.
    I get the spinning wheel for everything I try to do.

24. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Even Quicktime is bloated, buggy and way slower than it should be. Media Players like VLC, GOM manage to play 1080p video beautifully on a 2mb download, while barely using any system resources at all.

It ridiculous that the same software company that can make something as efficient and lite as iOS and WebKit can't manage to put together a halfway decent, efficiently coded media player or media manager.

25. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

This certainly changes in iOS 4 :D

I actually prefer iTunes (on Mac; on PC I was using MediaMonkey) for the sake of how simple it is to manage my music. Yes, dragging and dropping is simpler, but maybe I do want playlists, maybe I do want to rate my tracks, maybe I do want to make sure my tags are either good or at least what I want them to be.

Though I feel like calling troll thread, because iTunes to this day runs like a charm on my 2008 Macbook Pro, so I have a hard time believing that iTunes is having a major problem on a 2009 MBP while something like Final Cut runs smoothly. Both run smoothly on my machine.