Who here is not buying the iPhone 5 because it is too 'big'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Sep 15, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

I wonder if all those iFans who claimed they didn't want or need a bigger screen, will bother with the iPhone 5? If you were one of them that said 3.5" is perfect and 4" was too big, please check-in here and let us know if you are still getting the 5 or not.

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

They won't be checking in. They have already purchased their new iPhone.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Bought one. Taller than I care for but at least not wider. I'm too deep in Apple to leave unless the change is extreme.

4. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Personally, I thought the 3.5" was perfect for a phone. But my main concern was that they were going to make it wider. And they didn't, which I liked. Even though I was content with the old size, this is a new leap forward for Apple. I also mainly upgraded because my iPhone 4 was too small on space, and the speed was just horrid compared to my new iPad. The camera was also behind the times. I didn't honestly care much for the screen size, I was in market for a new phone either way. This will do just fine though. The new screen size will most likely be adopted rather quickly. Also, most apps will be made for that ratio now anyway, so it makes no sense to get something old

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

As mtnDewFTW said, I also was mostly opposed to the phone getting wider. Since the vast majority of typical phone usage involves vertically-displayed content (Messages, Mail, Safari etc.), having more vertical space makes sense to me.

Also, I'm pleased that the physical height of the phone increased minimally (due to the slightly shrunken top and bottom frame), despite the significant increase in vertical pixels.

I am, however, still debating in my mind whether or not it's a worthwhile upgrade from my iPhone 4. I can't afford it right now anyway, so I'll hopefully have made a decision by the time I have the money to spare in a couple of months.

6. paulink macrumors member

App developers aren't just going to create apps for the new resolution, why would they alienate all the other potential buyers? They're obviously going to make it compatible based on the resolution.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We will buy a bunch for the business, but I will continue to carry the smaller phone personally. Not a fan of the larger phone.

8. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Either way, eventually this will be the technology Apple fully adopts. They wil most likely not make the screen size smaller in the future. And besides, that wasn't the only reason I was upgrading, as I pointed out in my post

9. M87 macrumors 65816

My wife is getting the black one, says she likes the length. :confused:

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm sold because the phone itself isn't as large as I expected. Overall the phone in 8.6mm taller, whereas the screen is 12.5mm taller. 8.6mm isn't too much in my opinion. It still looks 'balanced' to my eyes.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never said the iPhone 5 was too big, but I am a little concerned it will be too tall.

I bought one for a number of reasons though I'm a tad concerned how its going to sit in my pocket

I had a droid x back in the day so I've used larger phones and that fit in my pocket so I guessing that the iPhone 5 won't be much of a problem.

12. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Just making the screen taller was a waste but Apple had to do something to make both sides happy. A little wider would not have hurt me for sure but then I got normal hands:p

13. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

err, actually they will do just that.

Yeah, just like how when you download a universal app onto your iPhone and it opens up in iPad resolution! I hate that! (sarcasm).

14. urkel macrumors 68030

I wish there was some sort of chart that logged all the users and their comments when they make some cocky definitive statement about what will or wont ever happen because this thread would be so awesome if it weren't for one thing.... people out here are excuse making liars who are bad for discussion boards because their primary goal is to shut down conversations with their cocky and demeaning attitudes rather than discuss possibilities.

I know it sounds like sour grapes to call them out but for YEARS we've seen legitimate complaints/requests get shut down by these Apple defenders who would say ridiculous things about users expecting too much from phone cameras, LTE, the iPhone name or use the standard over-exaggeration that "3.5in is perfect and nobody wants a 5in screen", but NEVER have I heard one of them say "the solution lies somewhere in the middle with a taller but not wider screen" yet here we are with a product called an iPhone 5 that has a better front camera, LTE and a bigger screen.

15. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm a new iPhone user and I would've proffered the smaller size but I want the LTE. I did consider buying the 4S instead but I'm sure I'll be fine with the 5. It is definitely a little bigger than I'd like.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some people put way too much stock in internet discussions

17. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

The size isn't that bad, but I do think the size of the 4S is perfect for me. It's just there's nothing 'amazing' in this iPhone that makes me want to get it. £529 for it is also way too much.

18. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Omg that made me smile !!!

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It's particularly crazy for anyone to complain about it being just a tad taller and not buying it because of that. It's still the smallest high-end smartphone out there and these folks are going to be out of luck when their current phone breaks down. There's holding on to your principles and there's just being foolish.

20. cfc4ever macrumors member

I am unconvinced on the new size. I don't have a problem with the current, and when ever I have played with a Galaxy it alway felt too big.

I have an ipad if I need a big screen I will use that.

I have ordered, I assume I will get use to it, as others have said its no wider, not that much taller, but actually lighter. So I will get use to it.

If they kept it the same size I wouldn't have cared. In a month my opinion will most likely change and I will want bigger!!