Who here likes to go without a single downloaded app on their iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Mar 19, 2013.

?

Do you not have/want any app from the App Store?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2013.
  1. I certainly don't have/want to have App Store apps on my phone.

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. I did have a few apps once, now I deleted them and haven't downloaded any since then.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Are you kidding me? Would YOU want to go without any delicious toppings on your pizza?

70 vote(s)
    93.3%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'm talking about those who don't want to have a single App Store app on their iPhone.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

I'll take it even further. I like my smartphone without an os.

3. rocknblogger, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Am I missing something? How is this spam or troll like? From what I see its just a question. Does anyone NOT have any apps installed? Odd maybe, but just a question.

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

An utterly random thread. With a BIG Ad for a new app in his sig.

5. AceMason macrumors regular

Yeah, I dont see how this question is spam either. One of my friends does this as well.

6. Caliber26, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

That's for an iPad app and his question specifically refers to the iPhone. And WTF is so "big" about his link?

You people... :rolleyes:

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

He's been a member since 2009 and has over 500 posts. Adding a link in your sig is within the rules of this forum.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I know somebody that's still running iOS 1.1 with no App Store! :eek:

9. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Uh. No. I use apps. I've upgraded since iOS 1.

10. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

i know someone who hid the appstore because she's afraid she'll accidently get charged. no apps at all. of course.. she's using the iphone like she's using her old motorola razr.....

actually, i know quite a few people who uses their iphones like a feature phone. no apps, no folders. :eek:

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

One of my aunt uses her iphone without any apps; only make calls, take pics, and web browse. Has been doing this for 2 years.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

13. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

What is the point to have iphone without any apps :confused:

14. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Some people just don't need them. My mom's only downloaded app is Facebook. All she ever does besides FB, is calls/texts, and emails. And on rare occasions, Safari. There are many people who use their phone in similar fashion.

15. x5tuu macrumors member

My other half has had every model of iPhone from release and still has them all in pretty much mint condition and all have never had any app installed on them.

She uses her iPhones (currently a 32gb i5) for calls, texts, email, pictures and listening to music and that's it, it's a device to help her live her life simpler, not take up extra time occupying her on other things.

My 4s only has 3 apps on it, Nav Free, Barclays and MyFitnessPal, as I have much the same perspective

16. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

haha. we should totally swap phones for a day, only condition being not able to add/remove apps. i'm sure it'd drive us both crazy! :D

17. Samtb macrumors 65816

Still is better for emails and Internet than a feature phone.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

maybe enlighten her as to the greatness of some apps?

i bet some people are clueless and dont think they really need things since the phone does what its meant for.

I just think some people don't understand what they can have if they never tried things before.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was my initial thought as well.

20. typeadam macrumors regular

I like my phones like I like my women - covered in apps! :cool:

...wait...what? :confused:

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got hundreds of free and paid apps--about a third of which are actually on my iPhone at any one time. I kinda went crazy when I got my first iPhone years ago.

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I think it's kind of an interesting question, that also made me think about the OOTB apps (some are kind of app/hardware) on an iPhone:

Browser, Email, Messaging, Music, Video, Photos, Camera, Contacts, Reminders, Calc, Weather, Stocks, Notes, Calendar, Voice Recorder, Notes, Compass, Maps ...

It really does a ton of stuff with only OEM apps (especially when you factor in a really solid browser like Safari). I think it would be a fun 30 day challenge to use your iPhone, stock apps only :D

Many of my apps are alternate UIs for existing web based content like IMDB, Facebook, Twitter, DropBox, Amazon, Wikipedia ... so those could all still be used, though with a less optimal front end. Some services would be stinkers like Podcasts (having to stream through a web front end vs. downloading/sync'ing content), but still doable.

I guess a couple of major things I'd miss would be books (since all eReaders are a need-to-be-installed app) and though it's more for my iPad, a good text editor.

23. simply stunning macrumors regular

I personally don't do this, and never would. My mother in law on the other hand has one app. She has words with friends. That's it. Her iPhone is for words with friends, phone calls, and texting.

24. x5tuu macrumors member

For me apps have little value, I do have a small selection on my ipad for media viewing (i work away 3+ nights per week) and basic photo editing but am yet to experience an app that enriches any part of my life.

I don't use amazon, Starbucks, Facebook, twitter, any other social media etc... And have no interest in gaming in my phone but why should that mean I can't enjoy a seamless integration between my iPhones, ipad, MBA and cars combined with a smooth OS experience??!