Who here owned/owns the Galaxy S II?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

What did you think of it in comparison to the iPhone?

I've owned many Android phones before, but not the GSII. I'm mainly interested in what you think the battery life was like in comparison to the iPhone. Battery life is a very subjective thing, so it's helpful hearing comparisons (iPhone & GSII) I'm also interested in anything else you have to say. Thanks in advance

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

With the same type of usage, (Web browsing w/ no flash, YouTube, Twitter, Little gaming) I get 5 hours on SGS2 and 7h 30 on 4S

3. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Usage time? Screen on time? Time on + standby? I'm not sure how to interpret what you said. Also, keep in mind that "usage" on iOS isn't the same as screen-on time. Android let's you view screen-on time but iOS doesn't.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

The battery life is definitely not as good as my iPhone 4 was. If you spend a little time setting things up and install an app like Juice Defender, you can get some pretty decent life out of the battery. If you aren't careful though, you can have an app drain your battery in no time. I think that's one of the things that make the IOS "walled garden" approach appealing. It's really easy to screw your phone up with Android. What I mean is, conflicting apps and ones that crash your phone and drain tour battery.

Having said that, I love this phone. The screen is awesome, big, bright and beautiful. Technically a bit lower resolution than the iphone screen. But I don't notice that at all. It's fast as heck and for me Android runs buttery smooth on it. The speaker phone is great on it. On my iphone I always had people complaining that they couldn't hear me.

If you don't mind parting with IOS, I think it's a better phone in many areas. I'm diggin' it so far.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes usage time. Stand by battery time doesn't mean much since both only drops 2-5% overnight anyway.

As I said, same amount of usage and that's what I get.

6. SurferMan, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I have the at&t version of the SII, which imo is the best of those models. It's size is perfect with the smaller 4.3" screen and it's smooth and fast with the Exynos dual core. I've always had iPhones and never cared for Droids before until using this one, love it. I cancelled my order on the 4S, nothing against the 4S, it's a great phone, I just preferred this one. Screen is gorgeous and can be tweaked even further with screen adjuster app like I used, just so much nicer and easier to browser on vs my smaller iPhone screens, especially at night time if I kick back in bed.... can read the text/browse at a further more comfortable distance (and my eye sight is beyond excellent at 20/15).

Battery life is great too, once you calibrate it (just like i had to calibrate my Macbook pro so the charge % is read accurately). I'm getting similar battery life as my iPhone 4 in use though the 4 still has better standby time, and better then the 3GS or 4S. Androids are more sensitive to battery life, you have to know how to setup the phone correctly, and setup app's that may be checking online constantly to download info or constantly run etc.

I'm still going to flash with uNnamed rom to get rid of the AT&T bloatware, and you get even better battery life along with all the custom tweaks of the Rom. But the phone is pretty sweet, very light and is actually more comfortable to use as it's not that much bigger then an iPhone.

Can't go wrong either way (4S or SGII) both phones are top notch, just depends on which you'd prefer especially if your really intertwined with Apples app store or ecosystem heavily... which though I have other Apple products, doesn't mean much to me. Plus I travel a decent amount either for vaycay or biz, and love how integrated Google Maps is with the Nav system, I've used a few others on the iPhone and soooo wish Google released an app like that for Apple, just the integration and especially how fast it can re-route is sweet.

Oh yeh - Swype kicks ass lol, I didn't care for it at first, but once you get used to it after like a day or two and it starts learning your "typing/words"... it's so slick to use.

7. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I was going to get one after the keynote, to try for 28 days, and then get a 4s to check out -
    But I was afraid that I would no longer be able to look at the tiny iphone screen again, (so I chickened out) and decided to go through the pre-ordergate, with most here -

8. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Switched to SII from the iPhone 4. Put a custom rom which is basically stock minus the bloatware and i easily get between 1-2 days usage. About the same if not better than the 4.

9. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Can I ask how you like the s2?

10. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Loooooove it. Haven't looked back at all. I was most concerned with iTunes match since I really wanted that. No more than a couple days before I got my SII, Google Music was released. It's pretty much iTunes match minus the $25 charges. Everything about this phone has been phenomenal.