Who here thought Siri was a gimmick but now use it almost all the time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

I bought the 4S because I wanted the faster processor and better camera. Didn't care much about Siri because I thought it was a gimmick. Now I am scheduling appointments, setting reminders, setting my alarms, playing my songs and asking it the weather. I do all these things regardless if it has Siri or not, but with Siri, its so much faster and convenient.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Siri has actually become useful for me since I have big clunky fingers.
    I use it a lot.

3. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Lets see how long it will last once the novelty wears off. Lets see if you will be pulling it out in the winter or when some goons are in the subway. This is an indoor/car feature.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You do know you can use Siri with the earbuds right ?

5. grovertdog macrumors regular

Are you serious? Isn't wintertime when many people don gloves?

I just don't understand terming the first useful implementation of VR tech in a mobile device as a "novelty"?

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

Using Siri for the weather where you live is pretty pointless, since it's right there on the notifications page or on your first page of the springboard. Much quicker (and quieter) to just bring it up manually.

That said, I've definitely used Siri for setting calendar/alarm-related things, and for texting. Also useful for finding out random trivia (e.g. How old is Charlie Sheen?), or for figuring mathematical questions/conversion or how much to tip at a restaurant. :D

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Nobody is saying it isn't.

8. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I've gotta admit, I'm more impressed by it than I thought I'd be. It's great for reminders.

9. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

its great too for entering text almost everywhere on the phone. its a nice feature.

10. utl768 macrumors 6502

id use it if it didnt keep saying im having trouble connecting to the network

11. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Yeah, I've tried it for short texts. Using it way more than I thought I would.

12. tourada macrumors regular

Do you make calls in the winter? Do you take your phone out and raise it to your ear outside? If so, Siri will work for you outside and in any weather.
    Also, try bluetooth.

13. bobbba macrumors regular

I'm the opposite. I thought it would be useful but since using I think it's a gimmick.

Of the 10 or so times I've tried it, it's only worked twice and even then it was not what I'd call intuitive. I guess it may pick up over time but it certainly deserves it's beta status imop.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Siri has exceeded my expectations.

I find it quite handy to be able to set a reminder or appointment without using the keyboard. It even does text well for texting. If this is Beta, I will be more pleased later, too!

15. karenmb macrumors newbie

Loving it! I especially love the "dictation" part of the voice control. I haven't typed a text message yet!

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good call. This is exactly why iPhone sales are tanking as everyone rushes to buy iPods since no one wants to talk on the phone during winter.

17. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've used my Plantronics/Altec Lansing bluetooth stereo headphones for Siri and it has worked flawlessly...
    The "speech to text" and the ability to send/read emails, texts and reminders and to have alarms set by Siri is invaluable to me...

18. Fugue macrumors 6502

Complete gimmick. I doubt I will ever use it.

19. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Really? So if you are driving you wouldnt use it to make a reminder to do something or call your spouse, or text your spouse? Or maybe to make a meeting or write an email?

20. paulcdb macrumors regular

It's still early days and be interesting to see how many are still using it in a months time and I include myself in that.

I am impressed with it and while it has limitations (like all voice control) just being able to say 'timer, 10 minutes' when cooking is great.

What I really want to try out in the next few days is how well texting works in the car as that's going to be the major bonus for me. (not that I get many texts) lol

21. det2004 macrumors 6502

I use Siri all the time when I am in the car to send and listen to text messages and emails.

Has worked great for me so far. :)