Who here uses 13" rMBP withOUT an external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amplelink, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Just wondering the above and how it's working out for you folks. Do you ever wish you used an external monitor? Or is it a non factor for you given how great the retina display is?

2. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

I use my rMBP 13" without external monitor when I'm at home in bed or on the couch otherwise I'm on my iMac. At work I attach my 13" to an external monitor.

Depends on your needs, but generally I'm happy with my 13" because I carry it around a lot in my backpack.

3. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I have an external monitor but hardly ever use it because it is not retina and I would rather work on the MBPr screen

4. Amplelink thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I figured. Just not sure if a bigger screen trumps retina for some people.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I have several screens, but i never use my 13" rmbp with them.
    I travel all the time, so an external screen would be pointless.

6. Amplelink thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does traveling have to do with whether the screen would be pointless? Just curious. When you're at home, you just work off of the 13" directly?

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Well, you can't carry a screen around when you are travelling :D
    I don't really have a fixed home, but I have a place with a 46" samsung screen hooked up to a mac mini.
    But I usually work on my rmbp.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Get a Retina iMac. Best of both worlds :D

9. luked14 macrumors 6502

I have a 24" LG monitor but it's been months since I hooked up my rMBP to it. Being spoiled by retina, it's hard to use a non-retina monitor.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have a monitor (26ish inches, hooked up through Apple TV) that I only ever use when I need some PDF or website or something like that at the same time as I do work on the main screen. But lately I've been mostly using my iPad mini for that as well.

If it wouldn't be for the fact that I don't have a TV and like to watch movies, I think I could easily get by without the monitor.

11. caparsons macrumors newbie

At home, or when travelling, I use the rMBP without an external monitor. But when I'm at work I'll have 1-2 monitors connected; I do a lot of document analysis, and so being able to have documents on a couple monitors and a place for data entry on the rMBP screen is incredibly helpful.

12. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

This.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm a student, so portability is key for me. I love being able to use it anywhere. I usually prefer studying on my bed at home rather than my desk. I do occasionally hook up my rMBP to my tv to watch a digital movie or sports stream.

The retina display is beautiful. Much better than any external monitor I could afford to buy.

14. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I haven't seen the retina imac yet. I don't know if I will replace my old iMac when it dies ... I'm still using it in dual screen mode with a Dell u2412 ... I'm waiting to see if Apple releases a retina thunderbolt screen that my 13" MBPr can run.

15. mac8867 macrumors 6502

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Chances are they won't.