Who here will actually admit they're a Republican or Democrat?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Sep 29, 2012.

1. citizenzen, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

It seems that every time you talk with a conservative member here in PRSI, they're quick to deny that they belong to the Republican Party.

So my question is, who here will admit that they are Republican?

What parts of the Republican Party Platform / Democratic Party Platform do they support?

What is their vision of what their party should be?

Edit: nathanmuir is right. Why harp on just the Republicans?

2. 184550 Guest

Could the same not be said about the more liberal members? :confused:

I think it's rather misplaced to say this is a purely conservative member phenomena.

It might be better to rephrase the topic that asks why members of either end of the spectrum feel that they cannot identify as a Democrat or a Republican.

However, I don't think you'll get a legitimate response either way.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I identify as moderately conservative but not quite with the republican party. Of course there is some overlap but many of my ideologies are more similar to Ron Paul than say Mitt Romney. The biggest shift would be to get government out of social issues because then you are interjecting religion into government. I'm not against the bureaucracy though...government is an absolute necessity and today's climate. To show conservatism and the republican party are not all that linked, Ron Paul has routinely refused to endorse republican candidates. If you want to sum it up, I am more of a Madisonian than Jeffersonian or Hamiltonian. And that is how I feel. If you want to reduce to one word, it would be "independent" although many say "republican".

4. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

You're absolutely right. The same could be said for me, a Green Party member who is too pragmatic to throw away my vote on a party that can't win.

Fair is fair.

Thank you for making this thread a little bit more so.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I am not a registered democrat, but i certainly will vote Obama and mostly democrat candidates.
    I would consider registering as a democrat just to be able to vote in the primaries, what the heck, i would even consider registering as a republican for the same reason :). Other than that, i see no point.

in my view the Democratic party is a moderately conservative party, which is by a large margin closer to my worldview than the Republican party.

I would (and do) consider voting for republican candidates at a local level, depending on the candidate, but not on a national level, barred some exceptionally extreme circumstances which i doubt would ever occur.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If I were either, I would say so. But I'm a registered Libertarian, so...

I will say that I tend to favor the politics that support a "liberal social and civil rights perspective." I'm actually in support of national healthcare, social programs, etc as well, although not a big supporter of unions because I feel they are too restrictive for members in organizations to do work themselves.

So I'm probably more Green than Libertarian, but it doesn't really matter what I'm registered as. In the end, I'll vote for whoever has the best message. I would probably favor Scott Brown in MA (if I lived there) while still voting Obama for President.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I am more aligned with and registered with Democrats these days, but it wasn't always that way. The Republican party started losing me years ago with their anti-gay crap, but in general, I do still take each candidate on a case by case basis and do look at a candidate's position and record and vote for the one that seems best no matter what their party affiliation. I actually considered that Romney might make a good choice, but that was over a year ago before all the inconsistencies, and lack of specifics came out. No way in hell I am going to vote for someone that says he will repeal healthcare but not state what he will replace it with. No way in hell will I vote for someone who is all over the map in a number of areas, including gay rights. No way in hell am I going to vote for someone that seems to want to scrap medicare and do who knows what to SS.

The Republican party itself is also a problem. They are way too wrapped up in being against abortion and gay rights, claim to be fiscal conservative (but aren't), and then there are all the election stealing efforts they have done in PA, OH, and FL. It is a complete turn off to a voter like me. Although I really don't know why anyone would want to vote for that party as it currently stands unless they have some vested financial interest in it. It's a very broken party, and it doesn't help that there is a civil war being fought within it either.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Registered Republican and proud of it.

Though I vote with fiscal conservatives, and have voted for Democrats in the past, the fiscal policies of the party are much more aligned with my views than the tax them till we can pay for it Democrats.

Do I agree with every item in their platform? Nope.

On the National level, we have a 2 party system. The Republicans fit where I think we should go more than the Democrats.

Voting for a third party candidate at the National level is throwing away your vote.

On the state and local level, I've supported many independent or third party candidates, but that will not happen at the a National level.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

My complaint is that the republican party is pushing fiscal responsibility but they really aren't any different when it comes to spending. As of right now, neither of the two parties are fiscally 'responsible' and neither have recognized just how serious of an issue the national debt level is.

10. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Proud democrat here... who was willing to vote for Ron Paul but....

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not registered as anything because you don't register with a party in Missouri, but I've always voted Democratic and don't see myself ever voting for a republican, especially if the party keeps moving towards the right.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I started as a Republican and switched to Independent when I was 20, continued to lean Republican until about 1990 when I decided they were headed off the cliff and have voted either Independent or Democrat every since, but mostly Democrat. I'd love to see Instant Runoff Voting instituted on a National level. But that I'm afraid will never happen.

13. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

If they had a chance, it would be the Green Party. The Democrats aren't progressive enough, but if it comes to it I'll vote for them out of loathing of anything Republican.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have always been independent, on the local level I agree more with the Republicans. Nationally I find it hard to agree with either side at this point. I guess I would be a fiscal conservative and socially moderate.

15. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

This I agree with. Although I am a registered Republican, this election will be my last as such. I am going independent hopefully a Ron Paul, minus his foreign policy will pop up in the future.

16. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Interesting. His foreign policy is the only thing I liked about him. His domestic agenda (gold standard, abolish the Fed, calling social security unconstitutional) was whacko to say the least.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

100% democrat. I would even go as far as to say that I feel that I am intellectually superior to Republicans. At least the ones I've encountered. They always debate with emotions instead of numbers, And their arithmetic never adds up

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If we are not careful, the U.S. could turn into another example of Democracy Gone Wild. We would not be the first. We have a population who if asked to really sacrifice for the next 20 years to fix out debt, most likely will balk, electing leaders who promise to fix it without pain, not telling it like it really is. And when faced with pain, the voters will throw out the current crop of leaders for the next, who make better promises. I don't see how we will be able to fix such overwhelming budgetary problems on this basis. I'm feeling depressed about it.

My point is that even if we can set a course to fix our monetary problems, the journey is so long, it will be easy to get detoured and hit an iceberg. :(

20. 725032 Guest

Here we go again... Another 'lets put people in this corner' thread

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I vote forever what makes sense, so ever since I could vote I've been democrat. The republican party gets worse and worse each year.

Ron Paul was the only exception, but he's out of the race.

The main point that sways me in voting is equal rights for everyone. If a party makes it clear they don't want equal rights, I absolutely will not vote for that party.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Lifelong member of the Democratic (sorry, Rush) party here.

Though that obviously didn't stop me from being critical of the party, especially the first two years of Obama's first term.

23. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

People categorize people all the time. It's what we do.

The question in my mind is what happens after they've been put "in the corner"

If we use the opportunity to compare and contrast beliefs to have an open and honest discussion, what's wrong with that?

You won't have a very interesting discussion if you just say, "we're all people ... let's move on."

24. fivenotrump macrumors regular

I favour voting, and also abolishing the monarchy, thus both...

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I come from a long line of independent voters (indeed my father was elected to a public office as an independent candidate because the candidates from the two main parties were manifestly corrupt)

However, these days I find less and less in common with the Republicans (and the Tories in the UK). It seems to me that they pander too much to selfish, short-sighted greed, and that they have been far to eager to erode our civil rights (with the exception of gun ownership).