Who here will buy a new Mac Pro if it gets released tomorrow? Also the 27" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just wanting to know who is in line for a new Mac Pro if it is indeed released tomorrow morning. Also for the 27" cinema display.

2. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

not me... My 2009 octad mac pro is still rock solid and has a lot of room to grow still... I'm looking forward 2011 when sandy bridge hits the market. Then maybe I'll leave my 2009 to my wife and get a 2011 model if it comes out.

3. finchna macrumors regular

my g5 is 5 years old -- what are the specs of the new machines?

4. jamesedward macrumors member

jamesedward

I'm there

I have been waiting for a few months, not quite as long as others by the looks of it.

I'm working of a 13" macbook (2008 i think) its holding up rather well considering the file sizes I use but its definitely time to move on to a desktop.

I was looking at something like this

One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    8GB (4x2GB)
    640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    One 18x SuperDrive
    Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel)
    Apple Mouse
    Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide
    AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n

so I hope the pricing wont change to much....

Here's hoping for tomorrow!!:)

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I wonder if the lower end Mac Pro will have 8 RAM slots or not..

If the new Mac Pros are not that impressive, I think getting the current lineup 8-core Mac Pros with a hefty discount would be a better deal.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

I plan on getting a 12-core machine, 5870, 16GB RAM, OWC SSD in optical bay for boot, two 1TB WD Caviar Blacks in a RAID 0, two 2TB Caviar Greens for backup, and probably a few other things.

7. PenguinMac macrumors member

I'm going to buy one for my video editing next week. I have 5 years worth of HD home movies to edit, plus 11 years of digital photos that have been lying in my digital shoebox, and I'm looking forward to getting started on that big project. While I could easily do this on my Dell XPS (see my sig), I'm not getting any younger and I want to put my home movies into an Apple MPEG4 format that will hopefully outlive me.

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I probably will. I'd like a mew machine, but I'm torn between a top-end 27" iMac and a mid-range Mac Pro.

I don't need 12 cores, but I'd be happy with a fast (3GHz-ish) Core i7 or a 6-core Xeon.

If I go iMac, I'll certainly need some external drives. If I stay with a tower, I'm stuck using up excess desk &/or floor space.

9. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I just want to see these things get updated already. Then I can decide between a new iMac or Mac Pro.

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I'm getting an imac or mac pro depending on what HW is offered in each.

If the imac has a GREAT GPU, USB3, and possibly a simpler HD replacement option then it will be hard for the Mac Pro to win out. Much less than this and it's likely the Mac Pro will win out. Will be interesting to see.....................

My only angst is the inevitable whining that will ensue on MR's forums once both machines are announced.

cheers
    JohnG

11. oilfighter macrumors regular

I will buy one. I need to use a non glossy screen, and I would prefer to have internal HDD for the speed. iMac's glossy screen is terrible for photo work, so I guess that leaves Mac Pro as default choice.

12. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I thought that 6 slots per processor was the max.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I might upgrade my 24" displays to 27" if the price differential isn't enormous.

As for my Mac Pro, unless there is something revolutionary about the new model (doubtful) and the price is reasonable (unlikely), I'm more likely to upgrade the CPU in my current quad than buy a new one.

15. maximaxi macrumors newbie

I have waited patiently for a Mac Pro upgrade for a long time. i will order one tomorrow for sure. but, these rumors seem SUPER weak and i'm not holding my breath.

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It has eight slots.

17. xBerserker macrumors member

xBerserker

I won't be buying one tomorrow, but I'm in the process of slowly saving up for one. Hopefully it's slightly cheaper ... lol.

18. TennisandMusic

For a split second I read this as "my gf is 5 years old."

I was about to call the cops.

19. smacman macrumors 6502

Also happy with my 09 Quad / 30" ACD here, but I do hope that there will be a new better video card option as a result of this announcement.

20. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

My 2008 MP (my fist Mac), with 8 cores at 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, the upgraded ATi 4870, and a RealSSD for boot, is plenty fast enough for me. I can´t ask for anything faster than instant. It is crazy how we are driven to upgrade for perceived improvements in speed.

It doesn´t really matter if Premiere takes 2 min 8 sec., or 2 min. 1 sec. to encode a film, but we gladly run out and spend USD4K on a new MP, to basically increase an artificial benchmark score:confused:

I can understand upgrading if the difference is measurable (in user experience terms), or if you get new functionality, like USB3, displayport for an ACD, or more screen area, but this rush toward higher clock frequencies and faster bus speeds, seems, well, stupid.

KB

21. -SD- macrumors 6502

I'm wanting a 27" ACD and Magic Trackpad. Can't wait to see what new GPU options are available too.

:apple:

22. strausd macrumors 68030

Why do you say that? Aren't the rumors that are a day before the release generally the most reliable?

23. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

In my opinion, the 2009 Quad is overpriced by about $1000 for what you get, and that's with Apple Tax included. Let's what they price the entry level Mac Pro at, and whether it's acceptable value for what you get. Otherwise, I'll stick to my G5.

24. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I'll get a new Mac Pro at work as soon as they are released – and if the update is good I might buy one for home use too. Apple can keep their mirror glass displays though. At work I have a beautiful 30" ACD, and no way in hell would I trade my 21" Eizo for a 24" or 27" glassy ACD at home.

25. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I too think that 2009 Mac Pro is overpriced. I am still very happy with my 2008 version and I am looking forward to the 2012 or 2013 machine, if Apple still continue to make them by then.