All iPads Who here would rather have a 8.9 inch iPad over a mini and an air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ttran88, Nov 14, 2014.

1. ttran88 macrumors regular

With competitors opting for slightly larger screens, yet smaller than the original 10 inchers, who here would rather have a 8.9 inch iPad over the mini and air?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

For what it counts, not I. I'm actually looking forward to a larger iPad

3. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Current Air size is nearly perfect for using a browser without the need to resort to apps

4. TheSwede macrumors regular

Waiting for that 13" iPad as well.. But i do think 8.9" would be the sweet spot for most people.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

9.7" is the perfect size for a tablet. This is one thing I hope they never change. The mini is too small and the upcoming big ipad is too big.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

No. The current iPad Mini is the perfect tablet size. Any larger and I might as well just get a Macbook Air.

7. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini fit's comfortably in my suit jacket pocket. I'm not sure if even an 8.9 inch tablet would do that; I'd need one I could examine to be sure. Also it would need to have a 4:3 aspect ratio, or at least something close to it; 16:9 is too tall and thin.

Apple got the form factor of the mini iPad close to perfect as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want anything much bigger or smaller. Maybe an 8.9 inch tablet could work, but I'd need one to try to be sure.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Meh, 8.9" vs. 9.7" isn't enough for me to worry with.

9. scupking macrumors 6502a

I like the air and liked the mini. Sometimes I wish the air could be just a little smaller and sometimes I wished the mini was just a little bigger. I think 8.9" would be awesome.

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have the Nexus 9. It's size isn't great for portability like the Mini and I am not liking it for video/movies and gaming as much as the Air 2.

So it being a tweener has its consequences.

11. jks2014, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

jks2014 macrumors newbie

12.9 is way too big to bring it around, very similar to macbook air,
    but macbook air spec is really terrible, so i hope for macbook pro to become as thin as the macbook air, haha

owned mini before, great size to bring it out,:)
    but too small to read A4 size pdf,always need to zoom in & zoom out:(

now change to air 2, more convenient to read pdf files:)
    but cannot fit into my small pouch, so need to carry normal sized bag:(...
    erm ya, sometimes i do find it too big & heavier(cox of my case) as i just upgraded from mini,

erm,for 8.9 inch, i don't know, depends on how did apple design it...
    i do look forward to try it...

12. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

In my opinion the 9.7 is already a "mini", especially with the size and weight advancements of the newest air 2.

Like most I think I would be open to a 12.2in iPad. For me that would be the "regular" iPad to generally keep at home. If they tweak the software to take advantage of that real estate I think there would really be a market for it.

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I like 8.9" also. the 7.9" is great, no complaints, but the Nexus 9 is a nice size and allows for a decent sized keyboard as well.

14. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

15. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

8.9? Too big. The mini is perfect.
    It fits in my back pants pocket, and my coat. Any bigger wouldn't

16. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

Although 8.9 would be the perfect middle ground since, personally, a 9.7 incher is a little to big to hold comfortably for long periods of time. I really do love my mini, however, and hope that apple can somehow bring it back to life with some better upgrade inside and out in its next revision

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Adding another inch would still keep it portable and allow for better keyboards.

But I wouldn't go for it either.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's an interesting idea, especially as the Mini is rumored to be going away. 8.9" iPad, and 12.2" Pro. Though I would prefer a Pro around 11", although 12" at 16:10 ratio isn't too bad.

19. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Nooooo... I'd better stock up on a few Mini 3, on 8.1 now, and leave them in the box. And maybe there will one more upgrade before the do away with my favorite iOS item.
    Luckily, we just don't know what Apple is going to do. I'm hoping for a long bright future with the perfectly sized portable tablet.
    I got laughed before the first mini was introduced. Please laugh at me now - please - you know, for good luck and all.

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

hahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahhahhahhahahahahah :D

21. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Perfect. Thank you!!
    Absolutely insurance for at least one more upgrade.
    Bookmarking for October 2015

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's the least that I could do. Plus my parents recently moved just outside of Houston, TX.

Yeah, they should keep the Mini around for sure. I liked having mine for the past year, but it seemed less necessary for pure content viewing now that I have a Plus, and the bigger iPads are much better for drawing. Unfortunately my Adobe Ink pen isn't compatible with the Air 2 because of the new display, so I'm waiting for Adonit (who makes the pen) to fix their SDK and get some updates to make it work into the app developer's hands. I just really hate that I went back to the bigger iPad for drawing and now I can't draw at all. I hope that I don't have an expensive paperweight of an aluminum pen now.

23. ron7624, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

It's a nice town, usually warm, but unseasonably cold right now. I am artistically challenged, it all stared with the comic book with the drawing lesson in the back. Step 1 was to draw a circle. :( FAIL.
    I have a 92 mile commute every day, so my mini is a traffic tool, and absolute necessity for avoiding routes that have automobile accidents in the way. Some people do drive like idiots here so there's lots of wrecks to avoid LOL
    I do hand write all the notes taken in business meetings at work using notability and a microfiber tipped stylus. That works out well for me, so my mini is more than a just consumption device for me. I hope they keep it alive for a bit longer. :)

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I suspec the iPad mini will be around for a while yet, even if it's kept a bit behind the more profitable Air. Apple went to a lot of trouble to fill the niche and get it a retina display in the first place, and I think there are enough people who prefer it for Apple not to abandon it any time soon.

25. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Haha, my parents are loving the weather right now and making fun of everyone wearing coats to work. This summer my mom thought it was weird that there were so many water spout alerts. It's unseasonably cold here too right now at 10 degrees this morning. We often don't get that cold in January on average. My dad did say that the drivers are crazy, but luckily the corporate housing they're in until their old house sells isn't far from his work, and neither is the airport. But Houston is really spread out! My parents keep trying to get me to move down there but if I'm going to move to Texas I'd rather live somewhere like Austin and do app design at a startup. Not sure about what's going on in the design scene in Houston.