Who is beheading plot target Pamela Geller?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 4, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she has a point there. you don't belong in society if a mere drawing makes you want to kill someone

http://www.wcvb.com/national/who-is-beheading-plot-target-pamela-geller/33389178

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The flip side is if it were OK to kill the people we didn’t like it would solve a whole host of problems from global warming to unresponsive government ;)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who is beheading plot target Pamela Geller?

WTF does that mean?

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thread title is the title of the article,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I did consider changing it :p

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Have the police arrested the anti-Semitic Christians behind this nefarious plot?

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seems they shot him.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Police brutality. Where's Al Sharpton?

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you ought to use the words "plot" and "target" with some reservation in this case.

Lets be honest and say, if you read the actual FBI affidavit, it doesn't look like these would-be terrorists were the smartest guys in the room. And that while Pamela Geller might have been a theoretical target - one whose name was brought up in what I can only describe as a wannabe jihadi bull session - they concluded pretty early on that traveling to what the FBI describe as "[the other state]" seemed like too much trouble.

These idiotic criminals were apprehended thanks to combined FBI surveillance and professional street police work. But the fact that they tossed Pamela Geller's name around in wiretapped bragging fest doesn't actually give any special credence or validity to the fundamental wrong-headedness of Pam Geller's brand of racist hate mongering.

Once again: Zero out of Ten for CNN actually doing any responsible journalism.

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I am glad that the trash was taken out.

NEXT!

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Huh? Geller still has her bigoted head.

12. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Societies are only ever free if people like her are 100% safe. Are you suggesting she shouldn't be?

13. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

T-minus 10 until someone says it's ok for her to be killed because she asked for it, but there will be a nice ivory tower icing spread over the statement, so that the blood lust is not too terribly obvious.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is ridiculous. A straw man if ever there was one.

But what I would ask you to do is look at the way Geller is using this incident to push her agenda.

Quoted on NPR's All Things Considered today, we have a clip of Geller talking to CNN about the incident. And after talking about her security, she goes on to say (exact quote)

(Emphasis mine)

Geller is spinning this into suggesting that average Americans are somehow at risk of attacks from random Islamic militants.

You can debate whether or not the police shooting of the suspect was justified under the circumstances. Its more questionable still how credible the actual threat to Geller herself was. But it is beyond the realm of possibility that Islamic militants, bent on jihad, pose any threat to average Americans going about their daily lives.

15. Populism, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

PLEASE tell me you are serious.

Are you? Serious?

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

US police officers have killed almost 400 people in the first five months of this year.

How many US civilians have been killed by radical Islamists on jihad in this country in the past five months?

Zero.

Thats zero for 310 million.

More Americans have been killed by lightning strikes and spider bites. And several thousand have been killed by angry spouses; drunken drivers; and falling in the bathtub.

Getting all worked up about something that statistically doesn't exist strikes me as the height of idiocy.

17. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Awesome.

Now we know the archetype.

Thank you, vrDrew.

18. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

You say this as if it's from a lack of effort.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There have been precisely two attempted jihadist terrorist incidents in the United States this year.

Two gunmen opened fire at an anti-Islamic art exhibition sponsored by Pamela Geller in Garland, TX. And this most recent case, where - apparently angered by Pamela Geller's art exhibition. - two would-be jihadists discussed killing her, but settled for an ill-defined attack on Boston police officers.

Maybe the pattern is difficult for you to see?

It seems very simple to me: If you want to stop jihadist attacks in the United States, somehow persuade Pamela Geller to shut up. Or, failing that, stop giving her media coverage.

20. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

I will never support the suppression of ideas, per my Constitution.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

So I take it you were outraged when Ms Geller campaigned against the "Ground Zero Mosque"?

Be very careful how you answer that. Probably best to keep quiet. But I bet you don't....

22. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

Man, you really ARE about the suppression of other people's voices. Even telling me to be quiet just now! How sad.

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

It used to be the "keep quiet" was under radar, early-George Wallace-style.

Now, it's more of a school-doors-steps kind of thing.

Only difference is you don't get arrested.

You get off'ed.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If I were to take this and the liberal professor thread at face value, I'd come to the conclusion that your average American is afraid of his own shadow, responds belligerently to uncomfortable ideas, and hates being taken out of his comfort zone.

They really don't paint a pretty picture.

25. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I disagree. I think that if you were to take the liberal professor's comment/thread at face value, I believe he would say, "Thank you. You just made made my job easier."