who is buying unlocked ip4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troyhouse, Nov 11, 2011.

1. troyhouse macrumors 6502

so unlocked phones are available to order with 1-2 weeks delivery timeframe. will this reduce reselling prices on ebay?

was planning to get 1 16gb and 1 64gb, and sell 64gb on ebay to cover some cost of 16gb? what do u guys think of the prices?

2. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I might be buying a 32Gb model depending on the weather.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I bought one on release day.

Anyways why would someone pay $650 more for the 64GB one from you when they can get the same thing at the Apple Store themselves.

4. Stever71 macrumors newbie

just bought a UL 32g 4S from apple.ca. I am dumbfounded why anyone would pay those inflated prices on ebay.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was thinking about it.
    Selling my 4S and putting some additional cash towards a factory unlocked.
    But then again I dont travel outside the US much, maybe 6-7 days a year and I dont plan on using Tmobile either so not sure if its worth it.
    I know its nice to have and ads resale value but if you dont use other carriers but AT&T 99% of the time its pointless.
    Decisions....

6. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

You save a lot of money by unlocking and using the T-mobile plan.

7. troyhouse thread starter macrumors 6502

i just placed an order of 1 16gb white and 1 64gb white unlocked. the off-contract 64g phones are going for 1000-1200, and they do not work on t-mo, only international sim.

so this real unlocked and off-contract ones should have good resale value. plus the holiday season coming in, i am ready to take the chances. in a worst case scenario, i can just return both to the store.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not really, I got a family plan with a good FAN discount and could never settle for Edge data speeds with Tmobile USA.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I should probably mention, I bought it off-contract and unlocked because I was not upgrade eligible and I didn't feel like paying the reduced upgrade pricing (which is $650) for the 64GB and sign another contract, so I paid $200 more and now I can let this contract die out or I can use my upgrade for another device.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

But who wants to use Edge speeds on their iPhone? Not me that's for sure

11. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Just ordered a white 64GB unlocked this morning. I've been checking apple.com every morning for the availability of the unlocked version. :D

12. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Bought the 16gb unlocked on launch day (first time getting a unlocked version)
    And I am planning on doing the same next year.

13. Coley macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just got my unlocked 16g, white 4S delivered yesterday. Hoping to have it to use awhile and that it will retain good resale value until shortly before the next iPhone comes out. Then I will have an upgrade with my carrier to take advantage of by then.
    I was worried after hearing all the issues but the screen is pristine (no missing pixels, no yellow), no scratches, calls work, all features/functions good so far. BUT... The battery is indeed garbage and I went through and found every possible tip and trick I could. Even got iOS 5.0.1 and no better. However, this is something I anticipated before ordering and seems to be the most widespread problem.
    My screen is definitely different than my 3GS in hue. The first thing I did when I turned it on was compare screens. Instead of my 4S looking yellow, my 3GS suddenly appeared very pink/purple tinted and washed out by comparison. I love the new screen. Relieved I had better luck this time around (my first 3GS was a train wreck lol). Anyway. Sorry for the ramble that is mostly irrelevant to this thread. A little excited :p
    I was told I wouldn't be getting my phone til Monday and I was leaving on a trip Friday. It showed up literally the moment I was walking out the door to go catch my bus. Sooo lucky haha

14. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I think anyone who would spend $850 on a mid cycle phone is crazy in the head.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think people who even a give a s*** about what other people buy are crazy in the head.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I could care less about a unlocked phone. I have no plans about leaving ATT or the country right now. It is a complete waste of money for 99% of the people. Going to TMo is not an option as I hate going outside just to use my phone!:eek:

17. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

This price is ALOT cheaper than the rest of the world pays for an unlocked iPhone 4s. 500 sterling for one in the UK. Ouch! 2000 Turkish Lira, double ouch! So its not a waste of money to 99% of the people out there, because 99% don't live in the U.S (despite what those protesters say about some 99% bs). Have a friend in the US buy it, and then ship it to you overseas (or have a friend bring it to your country).

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think you should be making judgements on or insulting people for spending the money the way they choose.

19. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

They have been available since day 1 in many countries. All our 4S's were unlocked outright purchases.

----------

I disagree. We are very happy with the upgrades here.