who is connected to the network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skyblueand, Nov 26, 2011.

1. skyblueand macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for some software, free o comercial, that help me to know who is connected to the network. At my home my children turn on and off yours computer and i would like to know when to do it.

thanks

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

What?

If you're using a router, and are setup using DHCP (most people are), you can usually log into your routers admin interface and view a list of current DHCP leases. Typically this list shows the hostname of the computer too, but it will at least show MAC addresses and their associate IPs.

3. maigado macrumors member

Yes, you should be able to monitor via the router's admin screens. But you won't as likely be able to get a sense from that of what's specifically going on.

I'm looking for ways to know what others on the LAN are doing at a given time. In this case, I want to have a sense of whether my kids are using the internet at times when I prefer that they're not.

4. skyblueand thread starter macrumors newbie

who is connected to the network, in progress

Hello,

First of all thanks for your comments. I guess looking at the router is a solution but I'm not an expert and not even know how to enter. I need something easier for a learner. On another forum I saw a program called pinggy that seems to do what I want. I look and I commented.
    thanks again.

5. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can use Spector Pro to see what they are doing on their computers and when.

Note: You will need to be the computer admin and they can only use standard account permissions or less to work.

7. karl878, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

karl878 macrumors member

Another approach is to activate Parental Controls for your children's user account(s). Parental Controls is located under System Preferences. This would allow you to set what they can and cannot do proactively, instead of monitoring after the fact.

http://themacmob.com/parental-controls-in-mac-os-x-lion/

8. maigado macrumors member

Thanks, folks.

I was kind of hoping for something cheap or free and more informative than the parental controls, but I think parental controls and a review of browser history will be more than a adequate.