Who is "Ellie Light"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Jan 24, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Obama has suspicious number of letter writing fans named 'Ellie Light' =>

Obama has suspicious number of letter-writing fans named 'Ellie Light'
    By Sabrina Eaton
    The Plain Dealer
    January 22, 2010, 5:35AM
    http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/01/letter_writer_claims_diverse_r.html
    In recent weeks, Light has published virtually identical “Letters to the Editor” in support of President Barack Obama in more than a dozen newspapers.Every letter claimed a different residence for Light that happened to be in the newspaper’s circulation area.

Obama-Loving Spammer 'Ellie Light' Dupes 42 Newspapers
    By Candance Moore
    Newsbusters
    Sat, 01/23/2010 - 23:02 ET
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/candan...oving-spammer-ellie-light-dupes-42-newspapers
    In January, an anonymous person supposedly named "Ellie Light" launched a massive PR campaign on behalf of President Barack Obama...

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

She sounds like a bit of a fanatic. I'm sure you've come across some of those before, IntheNet?

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Kind of like Silence Dogood?

Edit:
    InTheNet, I'm trying not to be so pessimistic, but I assume you posted this because you think it negatively reflects on the Obama administration (sorry, but you have a pattern).

People like this are annoying attention whores. Too bad the newspapers don't actually do a good job with it. I published a few letters to the editro in both my college newspaper and the local news paper for Southern Illinois. On both occassions I had to provide a phone number and street address and recieved a phone call from someone asking simple questions to verify that I wrote the letter and indeed live in the area. It's a shame that bigger newspapers don't do the same, apparently. Now that this person has gotten someone attamtion they will probably milk it fir a while before fading into the background.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm... who cares? :confused: This is what passes for threads these days?

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

And how many people have lost their lives because of this?

6. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Perhaps but is this really Democrat Astroturfing? More research found this=>

Ellie Light: Obama Astroturfer?
    JANUARY 23, 2010 BY PATTERICO
    http://hotair.com/archives/2010/01/23/ellie-light-obama-astroturfer/

Glenn Greenwald (yes, I know, but keep reading) flagged the fact that Obama’s pal (and head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs) Cass Sunstein recently wrote a paper suggesting something sounding a lot like Astroturfing:

"Sunstein advocates that the Government’s stealth infiltration should be accomplished by sending covert agents into “chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups.” He also proposes that the Government make secret payments to so-called “independent” credible voices to bolster the Government’s messaging (on the ground that those who don’t believe government sources will be more inclined to listen to those who appear independent while secretly acting on behalf of the Government)."

That sure sounds a lot like what’s happening here, doesn’t it? Who is Ellie Light?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its seems obvious that the Obama admin would try to disseminate talking points somehow, even as a fake grassroots movement. What is troubling is that the letters got published 42 times before anyone tried to confirm the identity and now will most likely fade into anonymity.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You think that the Obama administration is behind this?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And you guys keep trying to group obeygiant with conservatives like Badandy.

What's even scarier is that he finds this person "troubling". What is troubling is that we re-elected George Bush. That's troubling, not this woman. The wackos really don't have anything, do they?

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I think you're confusing me with someone else.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, skunk.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

$5 says IntheNet only posted this because Drudge has it up on his website.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think its a more laid back (if that's possible) version of Ellen Degeneres.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hell, bet more than that. You can make a lot more money. :)

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

IntheNet, I can't fathom why this matters to you when Sarah Palin continues to exploit her children and grandchild. Not to mention the rumors of wild child Willow.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Et tu, Brute? Even those with whom I fundamentally disagree on most subjects can and do find common ground occasionally. Nor have I included obeygiant with Badandy, I just haven't grouped him with IntheNet and FullofWhatever either. It may not be so neat and tidy in terms of polarisation, but it's the truth. In this case, I think it's complete crap, and I think the position that this is a campaign connected to the Administration is utterly laughable.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because they have nothing else. They aren't going to get a sex scandal out of Obama like they did with Clinton, so they have to try anything they can.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is what is truly sad. Obama doing or not this is what is truly sad and it speaks volumes about how poor our media system really is.

It also speaks volumes about how you can not trust the mass media any more. I would not be surprised to see this story buried because it is a huge embarrassment to the mass media and shows how little truth is left.

Ellie Light is not a common name. I can not think of any person with either Ellie or Light as one of there names.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Who knows? Although the letters were published nation wide:

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You must think the Administration extremely stupid to even consider this as a possibility. Do you? After all, if they were doing this, don't you think they would have chosen different names to do it under? What would be the sense in leaving such an obvious trail, except if someone wanted it to be noticed?

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have truly heard it all now. The administration would never be that dumb. It's just some person doing. I don't know why this scares anyone anyway. There's nothing creepy about the letters.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well there is no real evidence either way that the letters were made and distributed by the Obama administration. In regards to the stupidity of the tactics, dumber things have happened.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is no real evidence either way that Mother Teresa was a child-molesting mass-murderer. Is that your test for credibility, or does common sense enter into your calculations at all? If you want to disseminate or repeat rumours, at least make some attempt to discriminate.