Who is going to sport an iPad Pro AND an iPad Mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by christophermdia, Oct 24, 2015.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

i currently have an Air 2 and am definitely upgrading to the iPad Pro, my only thought is should I get a Mini for portability and such in addition to the pro .... So who is thinking about the same?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i think so. i have an ipad2 right now, which the wife loves. so i think the IPP for my office and business needs and ipad2 for the wife. trouble is, i now have nothing for pleasure - in bed, on hols and lounging about. the Mini sounds just the ticket. might seriously do it :)

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Me.

Currently have an Air 2 and I'm absolutely getting an iPad Pro. Don't need such a device however when just sitting at the music school or somewhere waiting for my kids' lessons to end, so an iPad mini would fit the bill nicely.

Now just have to figure out how to get yet another Apple toy past the wife :p.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Already picked up the mini 4 and will get the iPad Pro, pencil, and maybe keyboard.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

drop me a line when you have it figured mate, i think im in a similar boat o_O

6. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

This would require a successful gofundme for iPads campaign, or a winning scratch ticket on my part, but if either of those happened I'd go for it! ;)

I'd take either, actually, but I'm tossing the "extra" cash I have at the new ATV. The iPad Mini is awesome for portability for sure. I used to love to take my Mini 1 all over the place.

7. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I have a mini 2 right now, and am likely to get a Pro as an upgrade. I'd want both of them to have LTE, but I don't want to pay that much extra on my phone bill. I use my iPad as a wifi hotspot for my MacBook, and taking both an iPad Pro and a 12" MacBook with me seems silly :)

For now, I'll prob. stick to just having the Pro, and seeing how that goes.

8. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

That doesn't make any sense to me. I think iPad Pro and iPhone 6S+ is a better combo. No need for 3 separate iOS devices.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

At one point I thought as much, too. Had an iPhone 6 Plus. Found it too big many times for my pocket, so I would carry it. But, if I've already got my phone in my hand, what do I need my Apple Watch for (which I really like)? Besides, I also found myself still preferring the phone for "phone stuff" and the iPad for "iPad" stuff, despite the bigger screen on the 6 Plus. Could never comfortably use the 6 Plus for "iPad" stuff.

So went with a standard-size 6S instead.

10. rwp macrumors member

I have a mini 2 at the moment and am definitely getting an iPad Pro. I had originally thought I would trade in the mini to help offset the cost of the pro, but it looks like I am likely to only get about $150 at most for the trade-in. The mini is worth at least that much to just keep as an eReader / Netflix device in bed. So I am going to end up with both.

11. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Yeah. Sure. And now when you have iPad Pro to do iPad stuff with what do you need iPad Mini 4 for? To do iPadphoneish things? I just don't get it.

Also. I have iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 and I currently have iPhone 6S+ in order because I feel like my iPhone usage has developed to the degree that 4,7" screen is too small. I need all 5,5" of real estate to enjoy my iPhone experience. I'm also considering iPad Pro. :D

12. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'm getting all 3.... the iPad Air retains a use case - a sweet middle spot between portability and screen size - that the iPad Pro does not.

Similarly the iPad mini has a sweet spot as a commuter's iPad.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The iPad Pro is a big device, but the iPhone (Plus or standard) of course isn't an iPad. For me, each has its benefits and drawbacks. Fortunately I can afford an iPhone, a mini and a Pro. If I had to stick to just single device, I'd keep my Air 2 (plus the phone, of course).

14. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

Already have the air 2, 6s+, and the mini 4...will be getting the iPad pro as well and keeping all of them.

15. felt. macrumors 6502a

I only consider buying new devices when I no longer have one that can update to the latest OS. Since my ipad4 is on ios9 I'm not seeing any benefit to have an extra row of icons.

16. christophermdia thread starter macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I also have the ability to have the trifecta of iPad Pro, Mini 4 and 6+ ... I even use a Surface Pro 3 for work ... I love email, iMessage, etc .. on the iPad ... have an air 2 right now, but feel like i could get more out of a Pro as a business tool, but feel like it might be too big for doing some of the basic stuff even taking with me out on the town ... great to see I'm not alone in this thought process ... and yes, I have to figure how to convince the wife its ok as well.

17. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Man, it's tempting. At any time, I've been allowing myself an iPhone or iPod touch, an iPad, and a Mac. I justifiably use them for different things in different situations, and they all have a "reason for being."

I'm certainly going for the Pro just for Procreate with the Pencil. It's just that… I thought the Air finally achieved the dream of being a sort of perfect e-Reader to cuddle up with, or carry around. And the first-generation mini was the first true Star Trek PADD, so to speak (but wasn't retina). So… can I convince myself that I need a mini 4 enough as a reader, and the iPad Pro for art – two iPads at once?

I suppose time will tell, won't it.

18. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I just got a mini 4 so I could give my son my air 1. With the apple case and cover its so light that I expect to take it out for unobtrusive urban sketching excursions with procreate. At home I prefer paper and pencils, but maybe when I'm more proficient with procreate I can justify the iPad pro 2. Otherwise I can't justify the big screen so long as my 2012 MacBook Pro endures. I can certainly understand the temptation of buy one now.

19. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

OT: How is iOS 9 running on your iPad 4? I am trying to decide if I will upgrade mine.

Thanks.

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Runs very well in my iPad 4 ... After updating, I didn't use it for 24 hours, letting it index, and did a couple of shutdowns. Now it is smooth, just updated to 9.1, apart from this: sometimes areas of the screen are not responsive, but this is on all my iPads, not an issue with just the iPad 4. This is intermittent and hopefully will be fixed in the next updates.

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I am, same exact setup. Guess we're suckers oh well. Selling Air 2 once I get the Pro.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Won't be getting the pro but I love my air 2 and mini 4 combo. I use my mini at work and when I go to my girlfriends and it's awesome. That way my air lasts a lot longer and is great fir relaxing at home

23. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

why not Iphone 6s Plus and Ipad Pro? the mini and the 6s Plus are not that far apart in terms of screen size

24. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

To answer the OP's question: not out of the gate, no.

I am waiting to see how much I use my Mini 4 for actual work; most importantly if I'll be able to use any iPad as a textbook reader / note taking replacement. If my needs change over the next year, I may very well consider the 2nd gen.