Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
At 4 years old this month, the 6S is quite outdated in terms of iPhone releases.

But being the last phone with a headphone jack, and also still a very reliable and speedy device, how many of you are gonna stick with yours another year? Are you using a regular or Plus model?

I've been a happy 6S user for only a few months, buying it mostly because of an excellent deal. I am not a heavy user at all, and I can run with outdated software with little issue. I probably will keep using the 6S for a few more years, perhaps with a battery replacement down the road. I am a huge fan of this phone, and IMO it's the best iPhone released since the 4.

Reactions: apolloa

Jnyce

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Damn good for you... I started my upgrade process today

Attachments

• 0ECC7070-82BA-4D04-BCE0-764E0EE3FDF8.jpeg
    0ECC7070-82BA-4D04-BCE0-764E0EE3FDF8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 578

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
The weight of the new iPhones is disturbing. I am a one handed user guy so holding such a huge weight is disastrous for me.

iPhone 6 / 7 / 8 was the greatest form factor.

Hands down. No argument.

I had no idea how big the difference was until I held a 6s vs Xʀ.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Ive used my 6s since release. But the battery started to finally give out. So instead of investing $100 to replace it, I just upgraded to the 11 with no money down from Tmobile. Also I really want a better camera for casual photos. I plan on keeping it though since it served me so well and can always be a backup just in case. Huge upgrade for me. Before the 6s, I upgraded annually.

PorkPump

Suspended
Jun 27, 2019
I had no idea how big the difference was until I held a 6s vs Xʀ.

Yeah. When I pass the Apple store I always walk in to confirm how lucky I am to not be holding a XR. I take my case off and hold mine and a XR and I smile knowing that my OLD STUPID iPhone can text, web browse, take pictures, send email and consume media just fine.

The form factor of 6, 7, 8 will go down as the Epic best iPhone form factor of all time.

Those that disagree are the same guys that say the notch is a work of art.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Yeah. When I pass the Apple store I always walk in to confirm how lucky I am to not be holding a XR. I take my case off and hold mine and a XR and I smile knowing that my OLD STUPID iPhone can text, web browse, take pictures, send email and consume media just fine.

The form factor of 6, 7, 8 will go down as the Epic best iPhone form factor of all time.

I personally, as someone who's owned every iPhone from the first to the 6S, must say that I found the 3G and 3GS as the most comfortable due to their shape and size. The 6S is a close second, though. Not a fan of how heavy the new phones are, and I myself didn't mind having a bezel on the top and bottom, gave some room for my fingers when watching video, and when using the camera.

mvray

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
I've also used my 6S since release. Does everything I need and plan on at least another year. Did the Apple $29 battery replacement last year.

PorkPump

Suspended
Jun 27, 2019
I love Apple and have made a ton of money trading their stock this year on all the dips, but I’m sorry. The peak was reached with iPhone 6. Its their greatest leap.

The new stuff heavy, ugly, and lame.

Keeping my 6 and my 7 until a lightweight, TouchID phone is released. Otherwise I will stay on 7 for many years to come.

I have pics taken on my Blackberry Pearl that are still sufficient and worthy and cool. LOL.

A phone is not a high end professional camera.

Reactions: cyyoungcear

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
I am still rocking my 6s plus as a backup iPhone, and it’s running iOS 10.3.3. It runs solid on her original battery and mint condition.

I use it mainly as a temp phone after I sell my iPhone X to upgrade to a XS Max, and so on.

I keep older version apps such as DJI to fly my unlocked mavic pro without the current app restrictions.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I am still rocking my 6s plus as a backup iPhone, and it’s running iOS 10.3.3. It runs solid on her original battery and mint condition.

I use it mainly as a temp phone after I sell my iPhone X to upgrade to a XS Max, and so on.

I keep older version apps such as DJI to fly my unlocked mavic pro without the current app restrictions.
As shown in my sig, I am running an earlier version of 10. Solid software, only problem is the 25% shutdown which is a nonissue for me as I can always kickstart it again since I always have a Lightning cable with me. I rarely reach that percentage anyways.

Reactions: Bootleg Gucci

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
The weight of the new iPhones is disturbing. I am a one handed user guy so holding such a huge weight is disastrous for me.

Hands down. No argument.

I should’ve gotten an 8 instead of the X. I’m used to the X now but the 8 seemed like the perfect phone to me. There are rumors the SE2 will come out in the spring and be the 8 with new internals. If that happens that will be my next phone.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Hands down. No argument.

There is an argument as most of the world thought it was too small (which it is). Hence why that form-factor & 4.7" screen size is not the future for Apple or anyone else in the industry.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Hands down. No argument.
So this really is a thing. I'm seeing more and more complaints about weight the more time I spend in this forum. I have a hard time imagining how a weight difference of a few ounces between phones could be "disturbing". I have a XS as my personal phone and an 8 for work and while I know one is heavier than the other, in a blindfolded test I'd never be able to tell you which is which. I also used a XR for a few days and again, I know it was heavier but it wasn't something I actively thought about after the first few minutes.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
My 6s is turning 4 years old, but I replaced the battery for $30 midway through.

Apple did a great job on this phone and I still find myself admiring it sometimes. Definitely gets the job done handily.

But I'm looking to upgrade to a OnePlus 7T Pro if it comes to the US in a month or two. If it doesn't, I can stick with the 6S and see if Apple does something about that horrible notch next gen.

Reactions: user_xyz

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I am not a heavy user at all, and I can run with outdated software with little issue. I probably will keep using the 6S for a few more years, perhaps with a battery replacement down the road. I am a huge fan of this phone, and IMO it's the best iPhone released since the 4.

How is it outdated software? the 6s is getting iOS 13, so the software isn't outdated.

So this really is a thing. I'm seeing more and more complaints about weight the more time I spend in this forum. I have a hard time imagining how a weight difference of a few ounces between phones could be "disturbing". I have a XS as my personal phone and an 8 for work and while I know one is heavier than the other, in a blindfolded test I'd never be able to tell you which is which. I also used a XR for a few days and again, I know it was heavier but it wasn't something I actively thought about after the first few minutes.
I don't get the weight thing at all. I carry 2 phones, sometimes 3 (1 personal, 2 for work) and I have no issues with weight. It seems people will find anything to complain about these days. They think this is heavy, I had the old Motorola Brick phone back in the day.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Damn good for you... I started my upgrade process today
Good for you. With all the advancements rumored for 2020 iPhones, and the puny 64 GB base storage which pushes the price to upgrade my then-$899 6s Plus all the way up to $1,250 for the 11 Max, it'd be difficult for me to not hold out another year.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
For me it's all about the cameras.

The 6S is still an excellent phone. I use mine as a secondary travel phone for use with local sim cards when I'm out of the country. I just used it on a 2-week trip and was amazed that I don't really miss my XS much other than the camera.

However, the X, XS and newer cameras are absolutely killer. Yes - they are not professional cameras as Apple would have us believe from their hype BUT since the best camera is "the one you have with you", I really enjoy the newer models for that reason alone.

In fact, the XS is the first time I have had a phone with a camera good enough for me to not miss my main digital camera. It doesn't come close to my SLR, but it does match my Sony RX100 in most situations in terms of getting a pleasing shot. I am hopeful that the iPhone 11 Pro will be closer still, or even beat the RX100 in most situations.

In short, if having a great camera with you 24/7 is not important to you then the 6S is still a top notch phone, and upgrading won't get you much additional functionality over what you have now. If, like me, you want to have the best possible camera in your pocket at all times, then you're going to be stuck on the upgrade treadmill with Apple sucking cash out of my wallet on an annual basis.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
My 6S's battery life is getting pretty bad. I generally go through about 120% charge per day with two hours of screen time. Battery health is down to 75%, and most tasks (e.g. browsing in Safari) simply use much more juice than they used to, because websites are getting more complicated.

I'm upgrading to an 11 Pro, and I'm mostly looking forward to significantly better battery life, and a huge camera upgrade. I'm hopeful that Deep Fusion will be good enough that I may even consider selling my Fujifilm mirrorless camera (which I only use occasionally when travelling on holiday). If Deep Fusion can turn out nice, sharp 24 MP landscape shots in anything from bright daylight to dim light, then that'll be a serious consideration.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the size, weight, and lack of ability to use the phone one-handed. But I'm sure that I will get used to it, and there will be many times when I'm thankful for the big screen and extra battery life.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015

Imagine thinking this. Stop acting so high and mighty and let people enjoy what they like. It’s okay for people to enjoy their Xs or 11. You can certainly get away with a 6s, however there’s always a benefit with the new models. Who cares what others think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.