Who is listening to my itunes music?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i know in sharing preferences it'll tell you how many are connected, but i dont know whether it'll tell you exactly who.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What do you want to know? Their Name, address, zip code, phone number and social security number? :p

What is the point of sharing music through iTunes? :confused:

emutree

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2005
Canada
I'd love them to build in a bare-bones instant messenger into iTunes - often I want to talk to people listening to my music or whose music I'm listening to but they don't have the wonder of iChat with Rendezvous errrr Bonjour. That way you could set up a nickname in iTunes preferences too to make it more obvious to people in your building who know you to recognize your music.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
emutree said:
I'd love them to build in a bare-bones instant messenger into iTunes - often I want to talk to people listening to my music or whose music I'm listening to but they don't have the wonder of iChat with Rendezvous errrr Bonjour. That way you could set up a nickname in iTunes preferences too.
That would be a great addition. There is already Bonjour (ergh, bring back Rendezvous!) for Windows so I can't see a problem with packing it into the iTunes app so that you could have a quick talk over a rendezvous network. I remember when Rendezvous for Windows came out there was talk of Apple providing iChat for the Windows platform. Well, for them to do that they'd need to build in MSN support (nobody I know uses anything else) but I think it could be great to just put a lite chat part to iTunes.

Getting a bit swiss army knife-like though... might not be such a good idea, I'm still a bit skeptical of using iTunes to manage my videos, I reckon Apple needs something like "iVideo" to manage your video content and let iTunes go back to music. iTunes has a few quirks that just don't translate over to video management too well if you ask me.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
adk said:
That widget honestly isn't that great. It's like oh, look, Mr. 201.44.553.335 is listening to my Itunes!!
The regular app that was linked at least seems to do a reverse DNS lookup, though something like dsl-6579.ca-s.verizon.net isn't that much more helpful. :p

Since Windows is predominant (sigh) in most networks, it might be fun/useful to do a reverse NMB lookup to get the Windows name of the machine that is connected This sometimes even returns the username of the person who is logged on (I think it depends on the authentication scheme domain vs. workgroup).

The commands are nmblookup -A 123.234.123.234 on unix and nbtstsat -A 123.234.123.234 on Windows.

B

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Heck, forget about the Video iPod dating service. Just hook up with people who are listening to your networked iTunes :p You'd probably have more in common to talk about. Possibly.

I too would like to know who through the shared network is listening to my library. Also, I would like the ability to have more than 5 listeners per library each day.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i'm bumping this up because itunes monitor doesn't work anymore for me on tiger. it just spends all day "connecting" :(

is there any other way to work out who is listening to my music. i was in a room today with a whole bunch of people all with laptops and headphones and someone was listening to my music only i had no idea who and its been driving me nuts!

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
abc123 said:
i'm bumping this up because itunes monitor doesn't work anymore for me on tiger. it just spends all day "connecting" :(

is there any other way to work out who is listening to my music. i was in a room today with a whole bunch of people all with laptops and headphones and someone was listening to my music only i had no idea who and its been driving me nuts!

Turn off sharing for about 5 minutes and see who gets mad :D

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
adk said:
FUNNY!

Just a note, Its not that I dont want others to listen to my music, i do. Its just the curiosity of WHO? The hot chick down the hall? My boss?

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
I am a tad confused here if i switch on share my music?

Who else can use it? i'm just on my pc at home....

Also if i can how do i access other peoples shared music?

Thanks sam

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Sam* said:
I am a tad confused here if i switch on share my music?

Who else can use it? i'm just on my pc at home....

Also if i can how do i access other peoples shared music?

Thanks sam
If your music sharing is enabled, that means all other iTunes users on YOUR network can stream the music to their computers and listen to it. The same goes for iPhoto. It's fun being on public networks and seeing what other people are listening to. :D I haven't done it yet with iPhoto publicly, but one of these days I hope to. I just hope I don't come across anything too scary...

As for listening to other people's shared music, you have to enable it in iTunes' preferences. It's under the Sharing tab.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's not a matter of being on the same network, but rather being within wireless range of each other. iTunes uses Bonjour (IETF Zeroconf) to talk wirelessly between computers, without configuring a network.

At least that's how I understand it.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
EricNau said:
It's not a matter of being on the same network, but rather being within wireless range of each other. iTunes uses Bonjour (IETF Zeroconf) to talk wirelessly between computers, without configuring a network.

Assuming that your wireless network uses WEP or WPA this should not be the case. Even though a user is within range they don't have the required key to join your network, and so Bonjour plays no role.

At least that's how I understand it. ;)

B

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I thought in order for Bonjour to work, you have to be on the same network. For example, I was on my neighbor's network the other night and her iTunes music library showed up under 'Shared Music.' But now that I am on our home network, only my family members' libraries are showing up.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I could have sworn I've listen to shared music without being logged onto their network, but maybe I was on their network and didn't realize it. :eek:

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
adk said:
i tried that, i didn't notice anyone react too strangely but there were a few people not facing me. who ever it was wasn't sharing their music with me either :mad:.
technically it could have been someone on a different floor. i was at uni so there are a ton of little wireless networks around, its all a bit too confusing for me.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
same thing

is there a widget that tells you whos on your wireless network?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
EricNau said:

Zeroconf is not exclusively wireless or wired. It uses TCP/IP, which can run over a bunch of things (ethernet, firewire, wifi, bluetooth even!). It does require you to be on a network though.

Chundles said:
(ergh, bring back Rendezvous!)
Stupid trademark issues. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.