Who is losing out from Trump's tariffs?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Raid, May 31, 2018.

1. Raid, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well aside from the revolving door now installed in the west wing, and Trumps tweet tirades keeping the gossip levels high. Actual policies are starting to hit home, and maybe not in a good way.

Quite simply put, a trade war is bad for business, and is putting America in isolation. This may encourage domestic production of goods, but at a tremendous cost to producers and their exports. Some targeted tariffs are warranted, but blanket ones have never worked out well, even in the short-run.

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Trump, like Bernie is an economic illiterate. This is going to cost the consumers a lot of money and the nation a lot of jobs, (just like it did when that fool Bush imposed tariffs on steel). Hopefully, things will get bad enough that his out of work supporters will vote for anyone else.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

By the time the US wakes up and reverts it's course global trade will have shifted giving any future US administration less leverage.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Tit for tat, IMO.

5. cube macrumors Pentium

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Trump thinks he’s the dad who has had enough of his unappreciative deadbeat son so he kicks him out of the house in the hopes that he’ll learn to be self sufficient while appreciating how good he had it.

In this case the son will learn to be self sufficient but realize his dad was an overbearing abusive ******* who actually lied to him and held him back life.

We’re all going to be standing on our porches telling the rest of the world to get off our lawn while they are nowhere near it and quite amused by our delusional behavior.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Canada already has announced counter tariffs to be put in place until they drop the tariffs.

China of course will be the real winner here.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So much winning. I love when he triggers liberal tears.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This makes no sense, so I can only assume he's doing this as a business move... for himself.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Gee.. I wonder who called this... let's take a look.

Meanwhile, we had:

At least I'll give you credit for one thing: You're not defending him to the death, even though he still is and always will be wrong.

BL.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Yeah pointing out he's a bad president is tears. And you love it when he hurts the country. Very patriotic of you.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Adjust thy sarcasm meter, mon ami.

BL.

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Anyone here in the Steel or Aluminum Industry? Or at least have an economics or high end business degree?

I am in the Aluminum Industry. Ever since Trump started taking tariffs my business has seen increased orders. This forced me to look for help and I am happy to say this week I hired someone due to the increased workload. In a nation that will change laws for just one person, here is your person that got a job because of this so it has to be right, right? ;)

Of course, yes, this is a blip in the radar but it has created a backlog that will sustain itself for quite some time. When that blip ends, companies will find themselves delayed on their projects so they will pay the price to move forward and the new price will become the norm. People will get jobs, buildings will get built and more money will stay in the US.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Oh, didn't seem like sarcasm because so many people say that all the time.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

That’s the big thing here. Trump and a lot of Americans think there’s no way to get around doing business with America while that’s slowly not becoming the case and we’re giving them plenty of reasons not to.

The reality is our biggest threat is starting a war with them as we have with every country that has even hinted at abandoning the US petrodollar.

There is no such thing as making America great again. We’ve already dug our grave through attitude, arrogance, and policy.

17. cube macrumors Pentium

Russia also wins. He continues to weaken NATO.

18. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Mainwhile both Europ and Canada announced they will implement counter measurment... I love see how whole world are retaliating Trump. Just funny to see... I also love US is pissing off all the alies and graduating become sideline.

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

There are positives and negatives. Your side is the positive side but one has to weigh both sides and see if the positives outweighs the negatives. I do not see this being the case.
    What happens to all the farmers in America who want to export their commodities to China..? When their orders drop 50-70% then what..? One has to do the math calculations on this..
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2018 ---
    Everyone is always wrong except for Trump. World leaders are not so fond of him now. When the US had to veto or object to something at the UN they are mostly found standing alone with everyone against them on just about everything that is put to vote on. In the end Trump and Nikki have to resort to threats and blackmail to try and get them abstain or vote on their side.

20. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Way too many numbers to discuss on farming but in a nutshell, if US farmers lost 50% of their orders from China, that would be a 10% drop off in total income. Remove the tariffs, more like 5%. So it’s not that big of a hit. Not trying to be snarky but the immigration thing also factors in, some farmers complaining they do not have the labor to pick the crops due to Trump scaring those laborers over the border. Less demand, less expense, less maintenance, the numbers start to get real close back to even. Once again, the numbers are too vast to actually discuss and would have to be discussed on a case by case basis but overall, would not be anything to prevent going forward with equal trade.

21. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

One would really need to break it up cases by case to calculate gains and losses from this trade dispute. From a consumer point of view it will be bad for all consumers. Government loses nothing but rather gains from all of this due to higher duties collected at the customs offices.

I think Trump fooled a lot of people into voting for him. I will save you money on your taxes every year only to later increase taxes and duties on everything else to get more money out of everyone into the government’s pockets.

Trump reminds me of lawyers, they like to see people with problems so they can profit off of their troubles.

22. bradl, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The problem here is that this is only from one industry: agriculture. What if you add in the fish hatcheries and canneries? Their prices will be skyrocketing. Aerospace is going to take a major hit. Boeing is already losing huge sales to Airbus by Airbus already having a plant in China, and that isn't even bringing into account COMAC already being there. And that isn't even bringing in anything from Europe, as they are levying tariffs where McConnell and Ryan live: alcohol and steel, and that's a double body blow to Ryan, with Briggs and Stratton being in his backyard, let alone Miller Beer.

Canning is going to take a hit: in fact, it already is. Some breweries are looking at a hit of $475000 - $575000 in additional expenses thanks to the tariff.

For another company, the tariffs will eat $17 million out of their $24 million annual profit.

I won't even get into what will happen with Campbell's Soup.

And then there's the other ways that the tariffs will impact us. I will say that if there is anything that the US loves more than their 2A right, it is their 21A right. Taxes are being imposed on this, including those to cost the price of alcohol to blow up. Exports will go down because of retaliation, imports won't go up because of retaliation, and in the end will cost all of us for products we either don't like or are too expensive for us to buy.

Again, Trump is an idiot for all of this, and it is plain to see even inside and outside of the Aluminum industry.

And for the record, I know the company firsthand that is taking the major hit in canning. I live 40 miles from it.

BL.

23. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

The bigger picture has to be realized. It is very easy to fear change as we are comfortable and don’t want to rock our financial boats. Over the years, foreign nations have been chipping away at us with imbalanced tariffs. You have to ask yourself, what actually is a tariff? It is a way of protecting your internal industry by deterring foreign industries to sell within your borders. Thus forcing purchases to be made by your interior.

Their use to be a saying in the US, “Buy USA” which really meant, let’s keep our money in the US. That’s is what Trump is trying to achieve but to make it happen, the system has to be blown apart and a trade war has to be started. Regardless of the method to achieve fair trade, a trade war is inevitable.

Now think about this, what if all nations said let’s reset the clock and abolished tariffs? The world economy would fall apart right? No! Every nation needs something from each other, for example, China cannot grow enough grain to support their cattle industry as they just do not have enough arable land to grow the grains. Of course, it’s not that simple, some balancing and even imbalance is needed to protect a nations financial security but the US cannot continue the path we are on as it will eventually lead to us being a 3rd world country.

@bradl please refrain from the Trump name calling, it devalues your argument.

And FWIW, I’ve made a lot of money from indirectly working with Campbell’s as well as many other large companies, especially the auto industry. As a person who will see the direct result, why am I not screaming that the sky is falling? Don’t answer that, it’s rhetorical, in short, Trump is making me money and making me create jobs.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

1) trade wars are not good

2) heavy trade imbalances also not good, especially when China has made it known that their intent is to supersede US military power.

3) not sure why Trump didn't just target China for these as other countries have similar issues with their dumping, probably hoping they'll fold later on during negotiations (ie NAFTA).

4) if China overtakes the US in both GDP and military power we will be living in a much different less free world. I think the left sometimes forgets that Chinese people aren't even allowed to access the full internet.