Who is ordering the morning of the 10th?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDFierro, Apr 2, 2015.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It seems like there is three camps for the new MacBook: "OMG I HATE IT ONLY ONE PORT PERFORMANCE TOO SLOW!", those who are getting it for sure, and those who will wait for reviews but are interested.

I'll be ordering April 10th in the morning for sure.

2. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Yep. I have respect for those who love it and those who need to wait to decide. But as for me - soon as it's up for order, I'll be ready. :cool:

3. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

I already bought the case mate! Can't wait for the 10th.
    Btw, My Retina Macbook Pro 13 early 2013 is for sale ;-)

4. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I'm gonna buy it as soon as it is in stores. If that be the 10th, 11th or whenever.

5. Elise macrumors 6502

I'm in the latter camp, I am very interested but I will wait for the reviews. I really want to try the keyboard out in store because that concerns me more than anything else.

I've tried the new trackpad on the rMBP - it is awesome!

6. Geert76 macrumors 65816

here is hoping for the same release date as with you guys in the US: April 10th

:rolleyes:

7. garbooo macrumors newbie

I have bought a backpack for New Macbook.
    I want to buy it as soon as possible.
    But in my location, I can't get it on 4/10.
    I do envy you guys that you can buy it on first day.
    I am expecting to see your unboxing.

8. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I'll order around midnight for i store pickup.

9. newellj macrumors 601

I will probably be driving to a mall with an Apple Store and a Best Buy to compare CTO options and make sure I can use the Best Buy 10% coupon (which would obviously only work on standard configurations).

10. andy9l macrumors 68000

Out of interest, why are you downgrading?

I'm in the market for a small, low-powered laptop and am torn between the rMBP 13" and rMB (leaning towards the latter!). I don't like the Airs. I just want something I can pick up and use as, basically, a better iPad – I'm not a fan of the linear experience of iOS for anything other than my phone.

Since I'll only be using it for Office, super basic Photoshop editing (I mean, like, resizing an image), a bit of web development, and the usual browsing/emails/etc. I think the rMB will be adequate. I need convincing it'll last a couple of years without getting sluggish/hot. I have my fully-loaded iMac for proper work.

Anyway, I'm digressing. I'd love to get some opinions from those who are ditching their rMBP for the new rMB.

I'm very much looking forward to the 10th. I'll be going for a browse at Regent St. at some point on the Friday - fortunately I work just 20 mins away.

PS. Which case did you get? ;)

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Every Apple product has three camps you mentioned.

12. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I'll be trying to pick it up on the morning of the 10th, though the thought of the hordes of people at the store to try out the Apple Watch is going to turn it into a painful shopping experience, I can already tell!

13. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Well I'm also going from the 13" rMBP to the 12" rMB. I guess I'm downgrading, but I don't see it that way. I don't need the ports, and the rMB will be powerful enough for me. I'm one of those people who switched from the Air to the Pro for the Retina screen. But I'd like a more portable laptop without sacrificing things like a full-size keyboard.

14. andy9l macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess I mean "downgrading" in terms of performance/functionality. As you pointed out, it doesn't necessarily mean it will negatively affect usage.

It sounds like we have similar requirements. It's tempting...!

15. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

Well... I will try to not make a long post and go straight to the facts:
    Current computer: Macbook Pro Retina 13 early 2013 8Gb 256 SSD - AppleCare -- Case: Be.ez rMBP13 sleeve

My usage: I'm a avid gamer, like I play every single day so I got a top of the line gaming PC and a PS4 for games. On my Mac: Movies/TV Show/Popcorn time - browsing - Office etc.

That said, if I need power to do encoding I have something else (PC), but since i'm using a computer I never encoded a DVD/BluRay and the light encoding i'm doing (converting iPhone video into a smaller footprint) was not a problem on every Mac I owned - Powerbook G3, various MB, MBA and MBP, rMBP) (I used to be an Apple Reseller ;) )
    I also had the first rMBP 15 and at that time the quad i7 was a beast, but I never used it's power.

So knowing that what is my remaining usage? I plug my Mac sometimes on a external screen, and I almost never use thumbdrive. I have a Dropbox Pro account where I store my whole life (it's my home folder) so port is not a problem for me.
    Power? The Core M will be plenty enought as I never had a power problem even when I was using a MBA!
    As stated on a previous post talking about Core M perf, I tried to open 3 ultra heavy movies using wifi on my rMBP and the CPU was @20% will something like 25 programs opens. WHO NEEDS MORE POWER? (except pro who are rendering/compiling etc)

I use sometimes Photoshop and Pixelmator and I had no problem with a Macbook Air 2011 with 4gigs of ram, I'm pretty sure that I will not have any problems with a more powerful computer.

The Size and weight difference is large, and i'm pretty sure I will be as surprise as the time I opened the rMBP 15 compared to my old MBP 15.

The only thing that I will miss is that when I'm traveling, I can only take my computer adapter and recharge my iPhone + iPad plugged on the rMBP lid close, plugged to a wall outlet.
    However the fact that the USB-C is a "open" port will allow battery to recharge my Mac of hopefuly use any USB socket to recharge is (even if I doubt that 500ma could recharge it, let's hope!

16. andy9l macrumors 68000

Fair enough!

If I've understood it right, you're in somewhat of a similar boat to me - you've got a more powerful desktop (x2 in your case) for serious work, and just want a "can't be bothered to get off the couch" laptop that also doubles as a handy, but basic, portable computer. If I get one, I will also rely heavily on iCloud/Google Drive/Dropbox for syncing.

My only remaining concern is the recent benchmark results - the rMB only just performs as well as the 2011 Air did. It's just a bit, you know, backwards. I know it doesn't matter for my usage (or yours), but it's a different mindset for me to not buy the best available.

I think I'll just go buy one. If I love it, I love it. If I hate it, I take it back.

17. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

On the other hand, this will be my only Mac...as much as my 13" rMBP is now. I have no iMac or external monitor. I travel a lot, and the laptop is my only computer. And for me, the rMB is the best available.

18. andy9l macrumors 68000

Yep, exactly - fantastic portability, and you don't need power. It sounds perfect for you.

Personally, if it were my only computer, I'd get a rMBP. But that's because I have a different use case to you, and would definitely rely on external monitors!

19. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

Don't get me wrong, my PC is only used for GAMING, my main computer is this Mac. And as you said, I will get it, try it for some days, if it's not powerful enough i will send it back and keep my rMBP (but i doubt that)

20. newellj macrumors 601

Aren't the Apple Watch try-ons by appointment only? I could be mis-remembering and there will be some gawkers, but depending on the store layout they may be on a completely separate floor of the store. I'll brave the rush anyway. :)

21. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Ha, good luck with that. I'd love to get it on April 10th, but since I'm doing BTO I have no choice. It's never taken more than a week for it to get delivered to my door though.

22. noobinator macrumors 601

Is this going to be available to buy online and pickup in store?

23. pnewelljr macrumors member

In this kind of situation is pickup in store available right when ordering opens? Like could I order for pickup in a NYC Apple Store at 3AM?

24. newellj macrumors 601

I think most of us think the answers are yes, but no one really knows. Is the NYC Apple Store really open at 3AM?

25. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

Yup, the one the poster is talking about is open 24 hours.