Who is really getting screwed over by auto reorgs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, May 20, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Actually stories like his have been reported. At least I was listened to NPR shows and they were talking to a dealership in a similar situation.

It is sad, but it is also "the free market". :(

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The taxpayers, now. Where do you think all that bailout money came from? Governments have no money except what they grab from taxpayers.

Since all the fundamental reasons for no-profit will still exist, then later, after the next collapse, the union employees will be the losers--but they'll already have voted in the 2010 elections.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sounds like crocodile tears to me.

Isn't a large part of the dealer shutdowns a result of laws put in place by the dealers to limit what the manufacturers can do? In other words, the dealer "unions" have made their own beds, now they have to lie in them.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Taxpayers, imagine if all that money would have been used to prevent budget cuts in many states.

So sad....:(

My college is loosing $15M USD because of state cut backs... that money would sure help out. (Many courses I was bound to take in Fall were swatted/eliminated due to funding)

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree there. The dealers worked very hard to get laws in place that protected them and pretty much screwed the manufactures. For example an auto maker could not just say they want to shut down the extra dealership or a poor performing one. Instead they have to give them money and supplies to keep going. With the bankruptes it allowed them to break the ties with the dealers and dump the ones they been needing to dump for years.

7. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it looks like some people are not going to sit idly by while the political establishment in Washington tries to pay off lackeys in an attempt to circumvent the Constitution

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124286497706641485.html

I hope they succeed. I have no problem with Chrysler and GM going into bankruptcy even it means they don't emerge. The fact remains, what Obama and Geitner are trying to do is take away people's rights and they have tried intimidation and slander to do it. Apparently some of the state's have people with balls big enough to tell Washington to shove it.

So how long before we end up paying all creditors full price to go away? I doubt it is far off. The Feds don't want a protracted fight. It is too politically damaging.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Have you missed the erosion of freedom around here that has been going on for the past 8 years? :confused:

In bankruptcy not all creditors will get their money anyways, and even if these "speculators" took things all the way to liquidation, they still would not have gotten all their money back.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I didn't hear Shivetya crying about the bank bailouts under Bush either. Must have missed that.

BTW- I fail to see how anyone's rights have been violated. The guy losing his dealership has to do with Chrysler's reorg, not any bailout. He should take it up with them.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

ummm...A good portion of the money the government gets now days come from foreign banks due to borrowing. Not strictly from taxpayers.

If you hadn't noticed the government has a huge deficit.

and as far as the auto dealers? They are private companies that need to deal with the auto maker not the government. Chrysler went bankrupt so the dealers have to deal with that. It's not the governments fault they didn't make cars people would buy.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am sure car dealerships have done their part to screw tax payers. :D

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not to mention the fact, that without the bailout, Chrysler and GM would've gone under and the dealerships would be forced to close anyways.

I don't see what the big deal is. If I own an electronics store and Sony goes out of business, there are plenty of other competing brands for me to sell. The dealers don't have to close, I'm sure they could opt to sell cars made by Ford or any of the foreign manufacturers.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's funny to hear the squealing from the right on this.

"Oh how dare they government allow the automakers to void contracts with the dealerships! The very foundation of our democracy is crumbling, and we'll need to teabag even harder to make it stop."

While at the same time saying "Those damned unions. The government should allow the automakers to void their contracts with those bloodsucking leeches. The very foundation of our democracy is at stake if we don't allow these business owners to void any union contract they deem necessary."

Heh... indeedy.

14. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Could you explain what you mean by this nonsensical statement?

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I support GM's and Chrysler's decision to force these dealers to close down. The laws protecting the dealerships are ridiculous and helped GM and Chrysler get to where they are because A) They provide crappy service which then reflects poorly on GM and Chrysler B) There can be so many dealerships of the same brand that they are competing against each other rather then competing against the competition C) Look back at A. Crappy service, crappy service, and crappy service. That is why I am in favor of letting the auto companies be able to set up corporate dealers so they can control the sale and service of their vehicles. The laws protecting dealers are the reason why crappy dealers still exist.

GM and Chrysler did not go and select dealers at random first. They looked at their customer satisfaction scores, sales, etc. If they performed poorly, they most likely got the letter. Sure there could be good dealers that got the letter and that sucks, but GM and Chrysler needs to downsize their dealer network.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, even if that means that even more dealers (like... all of them) would close, and an entire industry built too big to fail thanks to deregulation by the people you're still supporting would take even more of the economy down with them.

No blame for that free market that allowed this to happen in the first place?