Who is selling their current MBP in preparation for a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

And what are you selling for what?

Lately I have really wanted a 13" MBP. I am considering selling my current 15", 2.8ghz, 4gb, 500gb hd and getting a brand new high end 13". Do you guys think that the two will compare?

I'm just a little scared to sell in case they don't release a 13" haha. Then I'd be screwed.

So what boat is everybody else in?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was thinking about it, but decided that I wasn't going to upgrade until there is a Quad Core 15" MacBook Pro that is in the $2000-2500 price range. I'm fine with using my current one until then.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ive thought about waiting for quad core as well. But I really want a 13" : o

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I had a MacBook Air for a year and while the weight and size was nice, I really appreciate the extra screen space on the 15". I'd never get a 13" MacBook Pro to be honest, I've used them and there really isn't that much difference in weight or size. An extra pound or two from the weight and an inch or two cut from the width. My younger sister has the 13" MacBook Pro.

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Last weekend I bought a macbook pro 13, my first mac, when the local apple store matched the amazon price.

So far its been great to work with, even bringing word docs home to work with.

If something happens in the next week I'll decide based on specs if I should swithc my 13"

For many people the extra processor speed is just not that big a deal. Battery life, screen and keyboard are more important.

If an update comes up later and I like what I see with a bigger screen model I'll buy another. The first was not exactly an arm and a leg.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think anyone with a unibody (Late-2008 or Mid-2009) would sell their MacBook Pro's for the new one unless they REALLY need whatever Apple plans to upgrade. The increase isn't going to be much if you're making the small upgrade. I think the refresh would benefit those who had an Early-2008 MacBook Pro or earlier. Although old, the Core 2 Duo chip is still a pretty good chip.

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I sold my Mid 2007 MacBook (2.16GHz C2D, GMA 950, 3GB RAM) about two and a half weeks ago. I've been getting by with my desktop fairly well.

8. DJ90 macrumors member

well im looking for people to sell my macbook black T8300 2.4ghz for the new upcoming MBP's:)

9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've got the last pre-unibody 15", early 2008, and I'm ready to upgrade. I need smaller and lighter, so I'm waiting for updated Airs. If that doesn't happen in the next month I'll Hackintosh a netbook to get by for a bit.

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I just opened the seal on a new 13" mbp. It is nice.

11. jodr macrumors member

The current line? Like, with a Core 2 Duo in it? Ew. Is that even compatible with the internet?
    ;)

12. Picho macrumors member

Sold my late-2008 Unibody 2.53Ghz with 9600M (512MB) for $1,700 on Jan 25 on Craigslist, two days before the iPad announcement (I though that they were going to announce new MBP's then).

Anyway, needless to say, that money is burning a hole in my pocket...

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Amazon doesn't charge tax- did Apple also match the no tax?

This is the point that most spec-chasers completely miss.

Yes it is.

I guess you're over with thinking that computers were a fad of the 90s/00s.......

14. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

There is no way im even gonna think about selling the MBP that i have right now.

I bought it 7months ago in the summer,

It's a 15inch 2.53ghz model and its simply awesome!

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

First, I think amazon does charge tax in some states.

As for me...

Had to pay tax. But I got a discount on some software which made it a wash.

Also am eligible for signing up for 1 to 1 which you can not do if you purchase on amazon. Which was a no brainer since I live so close to store.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm very happy with my late 08 2.53GHz MBP. I see no reason to sell it when it does everything I want. The current crop of MBPs really do handle the majority of tasks

17. Nicken macrumors member

Nicken

I sold mine late 2006 2.33 GHz 15" macbook pro a couple of weeks ago. I got 750 euros (≈1000$) which I consider pretty good considering it was well over 3 years old and one of the usb-ports was not working.

Now I get by on a temporary first generation Macbook pro that has the annoying habit of suddenly dying when it is pushed too hard.

18. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

wow, is the resale value of these computers really that high?

A 3 year old computer selling for 1k is rediculous. I think you just ripped that guy off! haha. :p

19. Surely Guest

Surely

That's good. It's great that Apple did the price match for you.... plus, you didn't have to wait for Amazon to ship it!

I live in CA, so I didn't have to pay sales tax on my MBP purchase (I got mine during the Black Friday Lightning Sales...).

I have no need for the One to One thing, but if it's something you really need, then I guess it makes sense to buy directly from Apple.

20. poblack macrumors regular

I have a 13" unibody macbook but I want to sell to upgrade to a 15" unibody macbook pro. I'm trying to hold off for the new line of macbook pro's but I'm willing to buy a used current model unibody.

21. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I have been offered either $1,600 or a 13" unibody 2.6 with 4gb and 500gb hd plus $900.

What do you guys think?

22. moocat macrumors member

The resell value really is that high. This is one of the big advantages to purchasing a new :apple:. If you keep it in a great condition you can sell it at minimal loss. My girlfriend traded a newish $900ish HP dv7t (i think thats what it was) for one of the MBP 13 base model (2.26 ghz, 160gb hd, 2gb ram) and resold it on Ebay (in anticipation of the new MBP). Her bids went to $1120. That's practically the cost of a new one (w/student discount) and it's practically a year old. If you really wanted to, you could always have the latest MBP at minimal cost (just sell your last one and pay the extra 1-200$ out of pocket) ;)

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I second that.

My MBP is an instrument for working, and I'm not going to sell it before I can actually get a new one.
    BTW I'm not going to change it this year.

24. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I'm selling my unopened 3.06MHz MacBook pro as of yesterday. I saw the news and was kicking myself for buying it. So it's on craigslist.

25. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Can't you still return/exchange it?