Who is selling their current MBP in preparation for a new one?

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
And what are you selling for what?

Lately I have really wanted a 13" MBP. I am considering selling my current 15", 2.8ghz, 4gb, 500gb hd and getting a brand new high end 13". Do you guys think that the two will compare?

I'm just a little scared to sell in case they don't release a 13" haha. Then I'd be screwed.

So what boat is everybody else in?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I was thinking about it, but decided that I wasn't going to upgrade until there is a Quad Core 15" MacBook Pro that is in the $2000-2500 price range. I'm fine with using my current one until then.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I was thinking about it, but decided that I wasn't going to upgrade until there is a Quad Core 15" MacBook Pro that is in the $2000-2500 price range. I'm fine with using my current one until then.
Ive thought about waiting for quad core as well. But I really want a 13" : o

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ive thought about waiting for quad core as well. But I really want a 13" : o
I had a MacBook Air for a year and while the weight and size was nice, I really appreciate the extra screen space on the 15". I'd never get a 13" MacBook Pro to be honest, I've used them and there really isn't that much difference in weight or size. An extra pound or two from the weight and an inch or two cut from the width. My younger sister has the 13" MacBook Pro.

Buck987

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2010
Last weekend I bought a macbook pro 13, my first mac, when the local apple store matched the amazon price.

So far its been great to work with, even bringing word docs home to work with.

If something happens in the next week I'll decide based on specs if I should swithc my 13"

For many people the extra processor speed is just not that big a deal. Battery life, screen and keyboard are more important.

If an update comes up later and I like what I see with a bigger screen model I'll buy another. The first was not exactly an arm and a leg.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think anyone with a unibody (Late-2008 or Mid-2009) would sell their MacBook Pro's for the new one unless they REALLY need whatever Apple plans to upgrade. The increase isn't going to be much if you're making the small upgrade. I think the refresh would benefit those who had an Early-2008 MacBook Pro or earlier. Although old, the Core 2 Duo chip is still a pretty good chip.

DJ90

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
well im looking for people to sell my macbook black T8300 2.4ghz for the new upcoming MBP's:)

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I've got the last pre-unibody 15", early 2008, and I'm ready to upgrade. I need smaller and lighter, so I'm waiting for updated Airs. If that doesn't happen in the next month I'll Hackintosh a netbook to get by for a bit.

Picho

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Sold my late-2008 Unibody 2.53Ghz with 9600M (512MB) for $1,700 on Jan 25 on Craigslist, two days before the iPad announcement (I though that they were going to announce new MBP's then).

Anyway, needless to say, that money is burning a hole in my pocket...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Last weekend I bought a macbook pro 13, my first mac, when the local apple store matched the amazon price.
Amazon doesn't charge tax- did Apple also match the no tax?

For many people the extra processor speed is just not that big a deal.
This is the point that most spec-chasers completely miss.

I just opened the seal on a new 13" mbp. It is nice.
Yes it is.

I guess you're over with thinking that computers were a fad of the 90s/00s.......

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
There is no way im even gonna think about selling the MBP that i have right now.

I bought it 7months ago in the summer,

It's a 15inch 2.53ghz model and its simply awesome!

Buck987

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2010
Amazon doesn't charge tax- did Apple also match the no tax?

This is the point that most spec-chasers completely miss.

Yes it is.

I guess you're over with thinking that computers were a fad of the 90s/00s.......
First, I think amazon does charge tax in some states.

As for me...

Had to pay tax. But I got a discount on some software which made it a wash.

Also am eligible for signing up for 1 to 1 which you can not do if you purchase on amazon. Which was a no brainer since I live so close to store.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm very happy with my late 08 2.53GHz MBP. I see no reason to sell it when it does everything I want. The current crop of MBPs really do handle the majority of tasks

Nicken

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2004
Finland
I sold mine late 2006 2.33 GHz 15" macbook pro a couple of weeks ago. I got 750 euros (≈1000$) which I consider pretty good considering it was well over 3 years old and one of the usb-ports was not working.

Now I get by on a temporary first generation Macbook pro that has the annoying habit of suddenly dying when it is pushed too hard.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I sold mine late 2006 2.33 GHz 15" macbook pro a couple of weeks ago. I got 750 euros (≈1000$) which I consider pretty good considering it was well over 3 years old and one of the usb-ports was not working.

Now I get by on a temporary first generation Macbook pro that has the annoying habit of suddenly dying when it is pushed to hard.
wow, is the resale value of these computers really that high?

A 3 year old computer selling for 1k is rediculous. I think you just ripped that guy off! haha. :p

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
First, I think amazon does charge tax in some states.

As for me...

Had to pay tax. But I got a discount on some software which made it a wash.

Also am eligible for signing up for 1 to 1 which you can not do if you purchase on amazon. Which was a no brainer since I live so close to store.
That's good. It's great that Apple did the price match for you.... plus, you didn't have to wait for Amazon to ship it!

I live in CA, so I didn't have to pay sales tax on my MBP purchase (I got mine during the Black Friday Lightning Sales...).

I have no need for the One to One thing, but if it's something you really need, then I guess it makes sense to buy directly from Apple.

poblack

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
I have a 13" unibody macbook but I want to sell to upgrade to a 15" unibody macbook pro. I'm trying to hold off for the new line of macbook pro's but I'm willing to buy a used current model unibody.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I have been offered either $1,600 or a 13" unibody 2.6 with 4gb and 500gb hd plus $900.

What do you guys think?

moocat

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Norman, OK
wow, is the resale value of these computers really that high?

A 3 year old computer selling for 1k is rediculous. I think you just ripped that guy off! haha. :p
The resell value really is that high. This is one of the big advantages to purchasing a new :apple:. If you keep it in a great condition you can sell it at minimal loss. My girlfriend traded a newish $900ish HP dv7t (i think thats what it was) for one of the MBP 13 base model (2.26 ghz, 160gb hd, 2gb ram) and resold it on Ebay (in anticipation of the new MBP). Her bids went to $1120. That's practically the cost of a new one (w/student discount) and it's practically a year old. If you really wanted to, you could always have the latest MBP at minimal cost (just sell your last one and pay the extra 1-200$ out of pocket) ;)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I don't think anyone with a unibody (Late-2008 or Mid-2009) would sell their MacBook Pro's for the new one unless they REALLY need whatever Apple plans to upgrade. The increase isn't going to be much if you're making the small upgrade. I think the refresh would benefit those who had an Early-2008 MacBook Pro or earlier. Although old, the Core 2 Duo chip is still a pretty good chip.
I second that.

My MBP is an instrument for working, and I'm not going to sell it before I can actually get a new one.
BTW I'm not going to change it this year.