Who is Seriously Considering Moving to a Non-Apple Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jblagden, Sep 1, 2016.

1. jblagden, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

I’m curious because, at least for me, the loss of the headphone jack is a big deal-breaker. I think my next smartphone will an an Ubuntu phone. The headphone jack is a very important piece of technology due to its ubiquity, flexibility, and ease of use. Price is also a benefit of the headphone jack; you can get a pair of 3.5mm headphones that sound good enough for $30, while the same is not true with Lighting and Bluetooth headphones due to the need for built-in DACs and amplifiers.

The headphone jack, is the main reason for me wanting to switch to Ubuntu phone. The other reason is the functionality. An Ubuntu phone is much more like having a computer in your pocket, without the limitations Apple puts on iOS devices. Also, having Terminal on my phone would be very useful for work because in my line of work, it can be very useful to be able to use things like SSH, ping, and traceroute, which is something you can’t do on an iPhone.

I won't switch immediately. I’m just thinking about switching in a couple years if the iPhone 7S and the iPhone 8 don’t have a headphone jack.

Who else is thinking about leaving the iPhone? If you’re going to leave the iPhone, which phone operating system would you choose, and why?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'll stick with older model iPhones that have a headphone jack for a few years and see what direction everyone else goes. In a couple years I'll see what jack can be easily used across devices and go with one that uses it. I don't expect that to be lighting, so Apple probably won't be an option, but they may come around and use a standard.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'll never leave iPhone. I'm iPhone for life. Nobody needs a headphone jack anymore. There are some amazing wireless audio products that will work beautifully with new iPhones. The other stuff you mention is legit maybe for you to leave the best smartphone for a lesser experience, but for most people iPhone is all they need and much more.

4. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

Me too. I’m not going to switch immediately. I’m just going to hang on a couple years and see what Apple does.

5. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

What if other companies drop the headphone jack??? which surely going to happen with in coming years

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I've thought about it. But then I see how clunky the Android world is, and regain my sanity.

7. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

I seriously doubt they’ll all ditch the headphone jack. Some might, but I really think most won’t. Admittedly, I also think that what’ll probably happen with the iPhone is that the iPhone 7 will sell poorly due to the absence of the headphone jack and then Apple will bring back the headphone jack with the iPhone 7S.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Android isn’t the only alternative. There’s also Ubuntu Touch, which is what I’m thinking about switching to: http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I think I can't tell you what is best for you but like most you will get used to no headphone jack and more companies will be going this route going forward.

Now is the time to try a different phone with the design pretty much staying the same but next year? If you leave now I bet you will be back next year for the new look iPhone. Me? I value performance and smoothness over anything else.

Note 7 and s7 edge are fantastic devices but the performance to me still doesn't match the iPhone but they are great options if you are looking to leave the iPhone. Nexus too as they get updates too.

Good luck but for me? I have an Apple Watch, MacBook, iPad Pro so I'm very much into my apple devices and I think overall the experience with Apple products are still the way to go.

Android is great though...choice is good.

9. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

frankly i haven't had to use the headphone jack on my 6 or 6s, so that's 2 years i could have done without it. They WON'T bring it back, they never brought the floppy or CD/DVD drive back did they?

10. 8692574 Suspended

Ditching the iPhone only for the headphone jack is silly, as most likely all manufacturer in the next 2/3 years are going to as well.

I might consider this my last iPhone, but because I no longer feel the gap between Android and iOS justify the "Apple Tax", for a half of an iPhone you can now buy a very good SmartPhone, what used to set Apple apart for me was the service, but being how they hare handling the intermittent touchscreen make me wonder if the "support" is still on par with what you pay for.

What is stopping me right now is all the money I spent on apps, and it pains me to leave them behind, if ti wasn't for that it would be an easy decision...... for now I'l stick with the 6 until the touch gives up on me completely, then it will be decision time!

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have three requirements for headphones.
    1. They need to work on all of my devices without adapters.
    2. If I forget a pair at home while traveling I need to be able to easily find a cheap pair to use on the trip.
    3. It can't add another thing for me to charge every day.

If everyone else moves to USB C which is the most likely if they decide to drop the jack then going with someone who uses USB C will be the only one that meets my requirements. Lightning will only work on the iPhone, it won't even work on Apple's own computers, of course at the moment USB C would only work on the MacBook, but that's one more model than lightning it on.

12. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Well good luck with your thoughts,the world is changing and future of the headphone jack seems gone after this lauch,you see how eagerly other competitors will be waiting for to ditch the headphone jack

13. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

If you want awesome specs, check this out: http://www.meizu.com/en/products/pro6/spec.html

Helio X25 10-core processor

ARM® Cortex®-A53™1.4GHz x4 + ARM® Cortex®-A53™ 2.0GHz x4 + ARM® Cortex®-A72™ 2.5GHz x2

ARM Mali-T880 image processor

4 GB LPDDR3 memory

21.16 megapixel camera

3D Press (AKA 3D Touch)

mTouch (AKA Touch ID)

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Everything you said is entirely subjective, but you say it like it's fact.

To answer the original question, I've been seriously considering the Note 7, or I may keep my iPhone 6 for another year and hope for a better iPhone in 2017. I'm not making any decision until the iPhone 7 is actually unveiled, of course.

But in any case, ditching the headphone jack is a really stupid move that is probably going to put off more people than Apple realizes, and there are really good non-Apple alternatives out there.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have been wireless for some time and have not used the "jack" in years now. I do understand that others want it and Apple will include a doggle so they still can. It would take way worst than this for me to leave Apple after all these years.

Sooner or later I bet it will be hard to still find a phone with a jack.

16. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

Wouldn't buy the Note 7, slower than iPhone 6s AND explodes on charging. They've been withdrawn from sale, I believe

17. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

Actually, Apple still sells the 2012 13” MacBook Pro, which has a CD/DVD drive.

18. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

That thing maybe explodes while charging and what about iPhones?? They explodes in people's pants o_O

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

As far as being slower, it really doesn't matter. Phones have reached a point that all modern flagships are overpowered for typical users. Who cares if an app opens half a second faster? Even my nearly 2 year old iPhone 6 is still really fast and smooth as far as I'm concerned. The Note 7 also does a lot of things that iPhones don't.

As for the explosions, I've heard that they have delayed shipments to do some extra quality checking, but I don't think that they have recalled units that already shipped. I doubt that the likelihood of a problem is very high on any given unit. It's just their version of a "gate", which is to say, probably blown out of proportion, but they're playing it safe.

20. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

Me too.

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I understand that it almost blew the leg off of of a Note 7 user after charging and he is now qualified to use the trans-gender bathroom!

22. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Till a non-apple phone runs iOS the answer will be no for me.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I love iOS so I'm not leaving it entirely and I am not going to Android in protest of anything. I think my iPhone SE is beautiful and a fabulous size for a phone I need to be with me at all times for calls and texts. I did recently move to a Note 7 from an iPhone 6S plus as my phablet because it meets those needs better.

In doing so, I inadvertently discovered that Samsung offers an alternative to Live Photos that is able to be shared across platforms...it also offers better quality motion, though it only captures motion before the shot is taken while Apple's Live Photo takes 1.5 seconds of video before and after and is smart enough to know when you're not aimed at the subject.

I could share Motion Photos to my iPad and iPhone with the files appearing intact and as they did on the Android. Alas, unlike Live Photos, Motion Photos don't seem to include audio. (If it does, I can't hear it under the conditions in which I've had to test the feature). Unfortunately there currently is no easy way to share Live Photos to people on devices not using iOS 9. FB supports Live Photo but I'm not sure everyone can see them as Live Photos and I'm no longer on FB anyway.

At any rate, moving photos have become very popular and treasured in my family and extended family. I'm waiting to see if Apple updates the Live Photo feature to make it easy to share, much as Samsung made motion photos able to be shared intact outside of Samsung phones. If Apple does not, my upgrade path will likely lie with Samsung or any other company that can make the best shareable motion photo feature. I think HTC is the originator of this feature.

It's kind of weird, but my future with Apple phones may come down to a feature that is considered an annoying stupid gimmick by most users. Maybe.

Speaking of things considered by many to be annoying stupid gimmicks, as big as I am I into family photography, I'm also big into wearables. Samsung has just released the latest Gear S3 watches and they're male oriented and they are huge...too big for me to wear except around my ankle.

Samsung as much said they aren't concerned with appealing to women basically because only 20% of smart watches are bought by women. :mad: Well those shortsighted idiots need to know that may be because 80% of smart watches are too big for most women to wear comfortably. They did make a beautiful Gear S2 watch styled to appeal to women but it's still huge and with the long lugs I couldn't get it to fit around my wrist and the watch looked big on my big football player sized husband. :eek:

Apple makes wearables sleek in comparison and I am seeing lots of women wearing Apple Watches and committed to iPhones for that reason. I think it's foolish to ignore the purchasing power of women. Especially for tech that is also a crossover into fashion.

So...there is always a lot to consider when making these kinds of decisions. I go with what meets my needs the best. And I'm still trying to determine that as I go along. For now I'm happy with my SE and my N7 and iPad mini 4 combo.

24. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Wired headphones are the tech world equivalent of the buggy whip.

Your iPhone doesn't have USB, Ethernet, FireWire, SCSI, VGA, SD, floppy or CD-ROM drives either. Technology marches on.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I would call that a good Saturday night ;)